RP questions on various situations.

Meoix

Hey all, I've been on for a little bit but still fairly new lore wise and I have a few RP/lore related questions that have been building, they're minor so if it's okay I'll ask them in batch here so as not to bombard my patient FC :P

Main Story: (I'll keep spoiler free) 

I overheard a couple people RPing in the Quicksand, one hasn't completed the Story and the other one had and they were both talking about it. How is this kind of situation handled? I imagine it's best to avoid the topic entirely with new comers (spoiler-wise also) unless otherwise OOC'ly agreed upon.

On that note, its fair to assume it's personal preference how involved the war gets to the character right is how I see it anyway.

Grand Companies and FC:

Also personal preference IC-wise? Do many people balance the responsibilities of an FC rp and company?

I'm considering having my character just be a sort've consultant/mercenary of sorts being hired by the GCs, hence the Grand Company gear on my chocobo.

Primals:

So they're powerful pain in the butts for the trained armies of Eorzea, yet a small group of adventurers can defeat them at anytime. Is this another thing that's something sort've agreed upon before hand, otherwise it seems like an easy way to OP your character depending on the situation.

In short, it seems story missions, companies, and primal events are handled case-by-case RP-wise and not everyone has to be involved in them, is this a fair assumption? How does everyone else handle these events?

Main story:

The general consensus is that the MSQ is something that happened in the past. The 2.0 content, ending with the fall of Ultima, happened a bit more than a year ago. Later events are a bit more recent.

Your character didn't have to be a part of the war if you don't want it to be. Though for most armed adventurers, this raises the question of "why didn't you fight".

GC:

Generally, unless your character's RP is not focused on your GC in some fashion, most people tend to ignore the allegiance. If you don't want to ignore it completely, you can probably play it as your character being a freelancer working with the GC and getting rewarded for it - pretty much what it boils down to in gameplay. Or you can be a former member.

Primals:

The storyline assumes your character is a powerful hero, high above generic soldiers. Some people, myself included, play their characters this way, others roleplay more mundane people. Both approaches are fine as long as you respect the people who pick the other approach. Just don't play your character as more powerful than what's shown in the storyline, that's too much.

Only a WoL can take a primal 1 on 1.

Don't expect to be taken seriously if you see a character saying they went toe to toe with Odin and won by themselves. They ain't a special snowflake outside the non rp MSQ. To that extent of course. (Obviously)

GC allegiances generally are ignored unless you want to serve them in rp.

MSQ as the above said are more like a history lesson. 2.51 patch would be the "here and now" everything before is the past.

4 on 1, technically.

When the WoL fights Ifrit and Garuda he's technically by himself for the battle.

The party I think is a mmo mechanic. Coils required a group I think.

Don't they tell you to gather a group of friends when you're doing the quests though? I thought the party was actually canon but the WoL was the most important?

I'm pretty sure Mikh'a has it right here, yes. It's explicitly stated for many of the trials and dungeons, and implicit for the rest.

Beating a Primal 1 on 1 makes you way overpowered. Being a part of a party that beat a Primal? Perfectly acceptable. And Primals are being summoned all the time, so it's not like that even requires hogging a specific plot event and saying "yeah, that was all about me".

Well, not acceptable by everyone's standards. But there'll always be power level snobs looking down on you if you play a character who's in any way above a completely mundane blade for hire. In a Final Fantasy game.

4 on 1, technically.

When the WoL fights Ifrit and Garuda he's technically by himself for the battle.

The party I think is a mmo mechanic. Coils required a group I think.

Don't they tell you to gather a group of friends when you're doing the quests though? I thought the party was actually canon but the WoL was the most important?

Ifrit had tempered everyone but you, and you get cut off in a one on one with him. Same with Garuda, it was just you and her.

If any primal probably needed a group it was probably Odin OP ass lol. Dungeon are different however as you have a choice to bring people situational.

@Chris

No worries man. Im fighting sleep too lol

I'm pretty sure Mikh'a has it right here, yes. It's explicitly stated for many of the trials and dungeons, and implicit for the rest.

Beating a Primal 1 on 1 makes you way overpowered. Being a part of a party that beat a Primal? Perfectly acceptable. And Primals are being summoned all the time, so it's not like that even requires hogging a specific plot event and saying "yeah, that was all about me".

Well, not acceptable by everyone's standards. But there'll always be power level snobs looking down on you if you play a character who's in any way above a completely mundane blade for hire. In a Final Fantasy game.

Well if everyone is op, nobody technically is op. Because everyone is op.

I only have one character that can even have a chance of fighting a primal without losing off the bat to their hax rofltemper bullshit and there's no guarantee it'll actually work.

Any of my others encounter a primal and they're like "LOLNOPE" and beating feet at something approaching supraluminal speeds, while praying that Eorzea develops a functional air force and GBU-31s in the next minute and a half.

I'm okay with everyone being equal. Do you think I'm roleplaying a powerful character because I want to look down on others and gloat about how much stronger my character is? I'm roleplaying a powerful character because I want to incorporate as much of the game into my RP as possible, instead of keeping them separate. And, more importantly, I want to play a hero, not an everyday schmuck. I leave that to people who like to play such characters, instead.

Also, being able to do stuff you do in MSQ is not op. Going above that is op.

I'm okay with everyone being equal. Do you think I'm roleplaying a powerful character because I want to look down on others and gloat about how much stronger my character is? I'm roleplaying a powerful character because I want to incorporate as much of the game into my RP as possible, instead of keeping them separate. And, more importantly, I want to play a hero, not an everyday schmuck. I leave that to people who like to play such characters, instead.

Also, being able to do stuff you do in MSQ is not op. Going above that is op.

Not sure if you imply you thought I was talking about your character specifically,  but I wasn't? 

All I said was really aimed at your "people look down on powerful character" part. I honestly couldn't care less if your character was op or not but that's just me.

But point still stands, you wouldn't be considered powerful if everyone else could do what you could would you?

You let me know how that works out for you. Better yet, carry a GPS tracker around and I'll perform some on-the-spot preventative maintenance.

You don't want that Shiva body? Don't be a wimp Chris! C'mon. Being tempered is like having a girlfriend.

I know you're not talking about my character. I've responded to what you said as a general statement. Because some people get the impression that those who play high-power characters do it for bragging rights, in a "my character can totally own your character" way.

No good player does that. If you meet someone who does, don't RP with that person. They're bad.

Bahahahahahaha xD

Welcome to your senses mate. *gives T-Shirt*

At least with Shiva there's the benefit that it's not actually Shiva, but actually Iceheart. So really, make good with Iceheart and you're safe from Queen Frostytits.

Random disclaimer: I only threaten people with beatdowns from character if they've been a dick first.

Bahahahahahaha xD

Welcome to your senses mate. *gives T-Shirt*

At least with Shiva there's the benefit that it's not actually Shiva, but actually Iceheart. So really, make good with Iceheart and you're safe from Queen Frostytits.

Random disclaimer: I only threaten people with beatdowns from character if they've been a dick first.

OR!

Why not both?