Looking for Garlean Soldier Lore Specific:

Grynewaht is augmented with magitek surgery and cyborg implants to fight you in Doma Castle. It drives him nuts and turns him into Doomguy.

Fordola is surgically granted the Echo to fight you. She later uses it instead to tank Lakshmi.

Many of the mobs and the final boss in Castrum Abania are Umbrella Corporation-style bioweapons stitched together with magitek bits, it being their biggest lab in the region and Aulus mal Asina's playground.

He's basically the setting's Hojo, so expect a lot more fun supersoldier monstrosities to play with in the future.

It's also a rumor-based NPC quote. Sounsy's got some of them noted here: Garlemald Lore

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea, and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.

It's also a rumor-based NPC quote. Sounsy's got some of them noted here: Garlemald Lore

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea, and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.

That's what I was looking for! Thank you!

This is probably a dumb question, but the Garlean third eye doesn't let them see in all directions at once, right?

This is probably a dumb question, but the Garlean third eye doesn't let them see in all directions at once, right?

The next question had to deal with the functionality of the Garleans’ third eye (a question that a lot of people ask me personally at Fan Fests and game shows). Oda-san had an answer prepared for this one as well' date=' so I read what he gave me. This pretty much stated that the third eye is believed to considerably improve the race’s capacity for spatial recognition. Because of this, the Garleans have a decided advantage over other races when it comes to navigating aircraft or firing weapons. I then bring up Cid’s bandana and the legatii’s helms...but Yoshi-P says that armor has been designed not to interfere with the workings of the 3rd eye.[/quote']

All directions at once could be a bit of a stretch, but my guess is it's more like a perception bonus. But for someone unaware, it could certainly seem like a Garlean sees everything all around in comparison.

He's basically the setting's Hojo, so expect a lot more fun supersoldier monstrosities to play with in the future.

I don't see it. Hojo came off as spiteful and malicious, where as Asina seemed more naive and lacking any sense of right and wrong.

Were his claims about Enhanced Garlean Strength and Intelligence based in truth, though? It would jibe with my crack-ish theory that they were created as a slave race. Why else would they be unable to manipulate aether?

Were his claims about Enhanced Garlean Strength and Intelligence based in truth, though? It would jibe with my crack-ish theory that they were created as a slave race. Why else would they be unable to manipulate aether?

Who's the weirdo though? Them, for not being able to use aether, or us, for being able to use it? Eorzea is overflowing with aether, right? So Eorzeans have a large natural reserve that lets us use it as magic. If Ilsabard doesn't share that - and it doesn't, if I remember correctly - then its inhabitants wouldn't have ever gained that same reserve and that same ability.

Stick some Garleans in Eorzea for a few generations, and maybe they'll gain the ability of aether manipulation like the rest of us.

Stick some Garleans in Eorzea for a few generations, and maybe they'll gain the ability of aether manipulation like the rest of us.

No. They can't manipulate aether on a genetic level. (Some can, but they're pretty uncommon. Like someone having twins. Or blue yes in in a family full of people with brown eyes, etc.)

Also, people outside of Eorzea can generally manipulate aether just fine. Eorzea just has a higher concentration of ambient due to Silvertear Lake basically gushing it out. But that's not related to an individual's aether reserves.