Accepted IC combat system?

You mean like this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mSkt4ZEufv3ZHL3Gk2EBwqa8eR6SHw7Jbz4ccsg4Pos/edit

Or like grindstone rules?

1. Both fighters roll initiative.
  2. Whoever roles higher goes first. They emote their attack BEFORE rolling.
  3. The second fighter roles against their roll. If the first is higher, it's one point.
  4. The second fighter now emotes their recoil, and attack.
  5. First to three wins!

Example:
A used flamethrower
Random! You roll a 41.
Random! You roll a 844.

B dodges the fire, and casts magic missile on the darkness.
Random! You roll a 739.
Random! You roll a 196.

A 's darkness is hit.
(1-0 to B)

Edited by Neneso Neso
Posted the wrong link.

Something like that, yes. Thanks!

The system my former FC had mention of (which I really liked the look of but no one seemed to really use) had two sets of four stats and 25 points to allocate for most characters. In a physical combat situation, the attacker would declare their attempted attack, get a /random and add their 'Fight' bonus to the final digit. If it exceeds the defender's /random plus 'Defend', then it connects. I think it was called AHS (Anime High School), but I can't seem to find anything on the system online...

Is the one you linked the most commonly used weighted system in FFXIV?

No, it varies from free company to free company. See the new link above, I gave you the wrong one. (The new link takes you to the full system)

Essentially the only agreed upon one is The grindstone one, as it's most commonly called. Otherwise it varies by company.

Edited by Neneso Neso

If you're looking for a degree of customization I can recommend the roll20 or FATE-14 stuff. They allow you build out into things not usually handled in an MMO and there's a lot of folks already doing it, so it's got a legitimacy many recognize.

Use /random if you're trying to equate people of equal odds or skill; Someone who is a capable liar against someone who's got a nose for truth, two fighters who both have about the same experience, things like that. Since the system just kicks out a number from 0-999, it's all luck.

You're not necessarily going to find anything that's "accepted" across the board as the RP community is big and varied. People have given some good roll systems here, though. I'd recommend just doing whatever you and your present company prefer, whether it's one of these systems, another or one of your creation, or not using rolls at all.