Notice: Watch Your Wikis

Alothia

Hey guys, just letting you all know that since tomorrow is April Fool's Day and whatnot, please make sure you watch your wiki pages and check to make sure that no one has gotten past our notice and messed with your pages.

I just found two tonight that seemed to have been hit. The vandalizer in question has been banned, and the edits reverted, but just thought I would let you all know anyway.

Thanks!  And enjoy your days tomorrow!!

Ahh the beauty of not being one of the popular kids!

In all actuality, the two pages that were hit were not what you would call the "popular" kids at all. I don't think that I've ever seen one of them really post on the forums at all.

See, if I was going to prank a Wiki for the holiday, I'd... I dunno... do something more than just ruining a lot of writing and work.

I'd, like, copy their mugshot picture - draw a moustache and monocle onto it - and then update that picture. Still have the original image on hand, of course, to change it back afterward. April Fools! You're dapper!

... also forgot we're in April now!

This year is already 1/4 through.  Where is time going?

I could have sworn we just entered February! Next thing people are gonna tell me is that tomorrow is really December 31st.

I'm just hoping someone tells me tomorrow is the day I finish my damn degree and I managed to pass the rest of my classes too.

In all actuality, the two pages that were hit were not what you would call the "popular" kids at all. I don't think that I've ever seen one of them really post on the forums at all.

Hey now. Hey now. How is my chocobo to respond? He can't type with those big claws of his. I'm certainly alive and well though. I wouldn't have even noticed the page being disturbed if a friend didn't inform me.

Do you guys ban IP addresses or just accounts?

Hey now. Hey now. How is my chocobo to respond? He can't type with those big claws of his. I'm certainly alive and well though. I wouldn't have even noticed the page being disturbed if a friend didn't inform me.

Do you guys ban IP addresses or just accounts?

We can do both. It depends on whether it is a proxy server or an individual IP.

And I honestly wouldn't have noticed the troll at all if they hadn't hit the page of your chocobo. It tipped me off because of the lack of a last name.

I just didn't understand why those pages got hit. It was really weird.

We actually have a variety of different ban hammers, as Alothia mentioned. :) A user who just vandalizes the wiki but is otherwise behaving on the forums, for instance, can be banned from just editing the wiki. We have a number of different targeting and execution mechanisms (IP, e-mail, user, and more) depending on who's being a problem and what they're doing. Admin activation of new accounts also factors into our strategy.

#magicAdminHat