This idea needs our support RPC

After looking through that thread, my first thought was: that person played TESO. That's pretty much exactly how that game handles unique states of being and additional skills like vampires, werewolves, Mages Guild, ect. But TESO has a completely different method of handling skills and emotes from XIV and I honestly think incorporating that idea would just add a bunch of needless clutter to a very specifically designed system (also, looking through that thread, the person suggesting it clearly just wants vampires).

The non-combat state where you can equip everything would be more than enough and that does seem rather unlikely to be implemented. What we should be asking for, in my opinion, is more quests for neat emotes, more /cpose, more cosmetic items and more facepaint/features options that add neat looks, scars and suchlike.

Okay, since yet another person  has mentioned this, I hope you don't mind if I ask something of mild relation for a moment, Erik; on it's own, I have my doubts that it's topic worthy really.

I love emotes. I want as many as possible, including all of the missing expressions you see in cutscenes but cannot activate manually.

Buuut.... my fear is that they'll never actually add "many" more. Maybe just one or two the odd time that are relevant to some quest(like Hildebrand) and that's it. The emote menu is already fairly long as is and I have my doubts that they'll add an "Extras" tab where people who don't mind having a super long list can access tons more. This especially applies to /cpose. You could add so much more there, including sharing some of the other race's versions but then that would make the /cpose cycle(manual use) long and tedious for many I imagine.... unless they allowed you to select your favourite five from a list or so, but again... that's just very wishful thinking on my end.

I really wasn't focusing so much on the vampire thing as everyone else. I found the quest rewarded unique gear and emotes to be a fresh idea. And I was really impressed by the level of detail the idea-maker put into it.

Sure some of it wasn't great but she got my support as she had a good idea that could be refined by the developers into something workable. That was why I asked to up her post. So the DEVs would see it and maybe implement some of the better parts of the idea is all. You are of course not obligated to support her. I am sorry if you all took it that way.

All of this is extremely unnecessary. Just give us more stuff to glamour and emotes, then let people decide what to label themselves. Turning that into hard mechanics is incredibly unnecessary and a huge waste of the dev team's time.

Also, how horrifying to think there'd be a vampire or demon class. Horrifying.

If people aren't fond of the idea, that's all well and good. But posting on here just to say you won't support it when the OP is simply trying to promote what he sees as a good idea seems kind of...I don't know...meh? If you don't like it and don't want to support it, then go about your business. No need to make this all into something negative.

I personally think, if done well, it could be fun. My family is big into MMOs like my sister and stepdad and my sister especially is one of those who loves goofy shit like this. It reminds me of some of the items they implemented in GW2 like the bobblehead factory and the random boxes that can turn you into a giant or into a mini or into a stuffed gryphon. The megaserver BS they brought in made players mix more together, and sometimes running through the main plaza watching people mess with this stuff for the sake of taking silly screenshots or even for RP is amusing.

If people aren't fond of the idea, that's all well and good. But posting on here just to say you won't support it when the OP is simply trying to promote what he sees as a good idea seems kind of...I don't know...meh? If you don't like it and don't want to support it, then go about your business. No need to make this all into something negative.

I believe, madam, that you misinterpret (at least in my case). I was not trying to make anything negative at all. I merely stated my opinion on this topic without criticism, harshness, or condescension, then presented a (in my opinion) much more workable idea to open up some brainstorming/discussion. I get the same impression from everyone who's posted something against the idea.

This is a forum, and people are going to discuss things that are posted. If it's not meant to be discussed, and it was only meant to be a PSA, then why would anyone respond, positive or negative?

EDIT: I think.. we should speak when we don't like something. Changes like these effect everyone, not just those who do like the idea. If people politely explain their distaste for something (which... every single person who has posted opposition so far has...(seriously, I've never seen more polite disagreement on a public forum ever)) it can only lead to a better understanding of what people desire.

I found the quest rewarded unique gear and emotes to be a fresh idea.

We technically have that already! There could be more specific ones, true. I'm curious if you mean emotes and gear that are meant for very particular 'roles', possibly limiting players to which one they can pick? That would be the real significance in such a system, not letting everyone take each quest and rewards. That'd probably work better in a game that doesn't promote doing everything on one character; in FFXIV this means everyone would have all of the vampire, werewolf, dancer and ect abilities simply because the game has a 'gotta catch 'em all' design.

I think the real downfall of the link you posted is the focus on supernatural abilities instead XIV-centric things. Therefore, promoting it might imply an interest in that instead of the mechanic (which already exists in a more minor, less focused form).

This is a forum, and people are going to discuss things that are posted. If it's not meant to be discussed, and it was only meant to be a PSA, then why would anyone respond, positive or negative?

This exactly; feedback is all I (and presumably the others) meant.

Despite the abundance of replies indicating that they are not feeling supportive of all of the post's content, I can't really say that I got a negative impression from them.

Erik referenced the topic. Some liked it, some only liked parts, most discussed it and ideas & thoughts flowed.

Having said that, if I gave off such an impression then I am really sorry. The poster did put a lot of thought and work into it and they deserve recognition for that. I was just sharing my opinion that the concept is not wholly to my tastes.

I really wasn't focusing so much on the vampire thing as everyone else. I found the quest rewarded unique gear and emotes to be a fresh idea. And I was really impressed by the level of detail the idea-maker put into it.

Sure some of it wasn't great but she got my support as she had a good idea that could be refined by the developers into something workable. That was why I asked to up her post. So the DEVs would see it and maybe implement some of the better parts of the idea is all. You are of course not obligated to support her. I am sorry if you all took it that way.

Well you did say that it needed the RPC's support...

I'm willing to bet the actual reason people aren't jumping on this is because it's a solid, specific idea for a new in-game system, and its format and function aren't appealing to them.

In my opinion, the idea is just superfluous--we already have quests and updates that introduce bonus outfits and emotes and such. I imagine most people just want more of that stuff. It's like how if you supported reform to combat global warming, you wouldn't just throw your support behind a costly and ridiculous proposal to build a heat-destroying Doomsday Weapon. There are probably better ways to raise awareness about an issue you're passionate about than by blowing up the sun with a Death Ray.

Though I guess that would get people's attention.

Anyway, I feel like if folks want the good elements and ideas in this to be upped and considered, then a thread with general pro-roleplay ideas should be promoted and discussed on the main forum.

I agree completely. Definitely not trying to be negative! Erik invited us to talk about the idea and we are. It's interesting to hear everyone's views as how SE can advance roleplaying further, and bounce off more ideas.

As a huge V:TM fan I say this with the most love:

No vampires please.

Mm. I love them too but they're very rarely pulled off well and they're usually just a recipe for drama in the role-playing community. The bulk of vampires end up being conveniently attractive, super strong, charming and without any real drawbacks. Most aren't even subtle about what they are even if realistically they'd be hunted down the moment they admitted to being a creature of the night that preys upon innocents.

The base idea of more cosmetic stuff isn't terrible, mind you, but I'd rather just see more emotes and gear added through quests, The Gold Saucer and as rewards for various in-game activities.

My family is big into MMOs like my sister and stepdad and my sister especially is one of those who loves goofy shit like this. It reminds me of some of the items they implemented in GW2 like the bobblehead factory and the random boxes that can turn you into a giant or into a mini or into a stuffed gryphon.

I'll pray to the Twelve that our goofy stuff remains the way it is and doesn't dip into this territory.

Moderator brutality! Moderator brutality! You all saw it!

Silliness aside, my reasons for not supporting the idea has nothing to do with the vampire/demon class.

The truth is despite there being a push for official support of RPers in the form of an "RP" tag for certain servers or more extreme stuff like this idea, after nearly fifteen years of MMO roleplaying I am not convinced that official tools or mechanics designed to "support" roleplay do anything of the sort, in fact I think even minimal recognition like RP tags for official RP servers is completely unnecessary, does nothing to support roleplay, and in some ways is detrimental.

The only idea I've ever liked is the one that SE currently employs in XIV, allowing individual groups to mark themselves as roleplayers, the way we can mark our FCs as "role play" now.

We don't need anything more than that.