"The First Day" discussion

Kylin

I figured I'd make this thread since this is the very first RP session here on the forums and I'm sure people want to talk about it to some degree. I'm probably going to try wrapping up the scene here in the next few days since I figure there's no need to make the very first session go for too long. The thread was primarily to help people get their feet wet anyway.

So what does everyone think so far about their own character and/or other characters? Personally, I think Myra has already come off as more "scholarly" than I intended her to be. Everyone keeps describing her as the "scholarly lady" xD. It makes me feel like I'm role-playing a nerd character :lol: . Not saying I'm going to toss her or anything as I still intend to use her as an NPC type character in game at some point or another.

This is exactly the reason everyone was encouraged to use alternative characters though. By seeing how certain people react to certain circumstances, it'll make it easier to introduce your main character when the time comes.

I think Two-Patch Whiskeyjack is an awesome character, and I can't stop saying the name out loud in RL. :lol:

Also, as you didn't intend Myra to be 'scholarly' I didn't particularly intend on Ora to come across as being rude so much as 'impetuous youth'. I created Starkin as a way to have someone hovering about her that she can kind of talk down to and be all like, "This is how it is, kid!" Even though she's kind of a kid herself. I haven't fleshed the character out too much, but I had initially intended her to be kind of an antagonist for Kes, but now I'm not so sure. I'm just sort of rolling with it. Now she'll probably be one of those characters who wears a dozen different masks depending on the situation. A social chameleon, if you will. :mrgreen:

But one way or the other, I think Whiskeyjack is awesome! :approve:

Haha I second the affection for Whiskeyjack. Fantastic character, Varov. ^_^

Personally, I feel almost like I should have skipped this first RP session. I jumped in anyway because I've been wanting to RP, but Oryn ended up being quieter than I intended. He's just been standing around eating a sandwich and watching everyone talk basically lol. So.. yeah I guess I can just write it off as him being tired or something, but it wasn't quite the first impression I wanted to make with the character.

I am really enjoying seeing everyone else's characters interact though! It was pretty unexpected to see so many unique and colorful characters for a game that isn't even in beta yet. It really illustrates what a great creative group we have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much got my main character decided upon but I hate filling out character sheets. In real life I make Zane manage all my D&d sheets for me because it's just too much micro managing for my tastes :P Instead I decided to RP her sister on the forums so that's the character you're all seeing. Mostly what's needed is to move the story ahead a bit. I gave my character a "time limit" so she'll be ducking out soon to go seek RP elsewhere :P

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about how your characters are coming across on day one. First impressions are just that so you can always take what you learned and adjust as needed.

Thank's for the compliments on Whiskeyjack. I can't wait to get a chance to flesh out Amistad - he's a real fun character I've put together. I tend to put serious characters together with wacky NPC's, so I'll be using his two "assistants," Ignis and Lindovo, as comic relief. Basically, those two are akin to a few mafioso - a big one who says little and hits big, often slamming a pun in, and the short, wily guy who talks way too much.

Anyway, I pulled out of First Day, and will be creating a story thread this week.

Since this is the first thread, I should probably mention in more detail the proper wrap-up procedure.

Once the original author of the thread exits the scene, you have two options:

1. Finish up the scene in the next post or two if you're still in it. You should not take longer than this to finish at this point.

OR

2. If you wish to extend the scene longer, you can create a new thread entirely and indicate that it's an extension of the previous scene.

First thread was fun and it was interesting to see so many people in it!