Bunch of Questions!

Orphyn

Hello!

Nublet here! :D

So after a nice little gaming session, I have some questions. I can probably google them, but seeing as I'm in no rush and it's another excuse to post here, I thought I might as well ask here! Soooooo:

1: I saw an Alice in Wonderland-like costume. With nifty black and white stockings and all. WHERE DO I FIND THIS?! Totally adorable. >.<

2: Not sure the term for it here, but in WoW they called it transmogrification. Is there such a system here? As in, making one piece of armor look like another piece of armor for aesthetic appearance? So you can look all snowflake-y in dungeons? :D

3: Pirate outfit! Do want. Where/how can I get this?

4: Is there a spot to store crafting stuff? I have a ton of it in my inventory but don't want to sell it yet until I know what use it may be. <.<

5: Linkshells. What are they and how do they work?

6: Crafting Guilds... am I able to have a crafting guild active the same time as my class guild? Or do I switch between them when I need to do crafting stuff (like I do when I want to switch between rogue/pugilist)? I want to get into it, but I'm not sure how this works.

7: In Regard to Q6, what crafting would be best for a rogue? :D

I think this is all I need for now... if I have more I'll probably post here again. Thanks!

Welcome!

1: I saw an Alice in Wonderland-like costume. With nifty black and white stockings and all. WHERE DO I FIND THIS?! Totally adorable. >.

That's the Valentiones' Day set, which was once acquired in game but is now available in the cash shop on the Mog Station. It has no level requirement, IIRC.

2: Not sure the term for it here, but in WoW they called it transmogrification. Is there such a system here? As in, making one piece of armor look like another piece of armor for aesthetic appearance? So you can look all snowflake-y in dungeons? :D

Yep! It's called Glamours here, and they unlock by quest at level 50 in Mor Dhona (indeed, it sucks that it's not available earlier). The Glamour system lets you project the appearance of one piece of gear on another using crafted glamour crystals.

There's also a dyeing system, unlocked via short quest line in Vesper Bay. From Limsa Lominsa, take the ferry near the Arcanists' Guild aetheryte. There's a roegadyn lady near the town square who offers the quest.

There's lots of pirate outfits. :)

The most immediately accessible one is the Plundered set, dropped by the bosses in the first three dungeons (Sastasha, Tam-Tara Deepcroft, and Copperbell Mines). Other things show up as dungeon drops in the 30s (various aethereal items) and at 50 (Sipahi set, from Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep).

4: Is there a spot to store crafting stuff? I have a ton of it in my inventory but don't want to sell it yet until I know what use it may be. <.>

Yep! You get retainers around level 22ish? that can hold items for you as a bank. You start with 2 and can buy up to 8 total through the Mog Station. Each additional retainer is $1/mo. The unlock for them is part of the main scenario quest (the game's main questline, aka "the MSQ").

A linkshell is like a chat channel in other games. You have to be invited to them or create them yourself, and you can have up to 8 on any given character. Linkshell Distributor NPCs can create linkshells for you. ICly, linkshells exist and are accessed through linkpearls (that's "put your finger to the ear and talk" thing you see in cutscenes). Because of this, many RP groups have IC linkshells. The Linkshell Hall here features ads for both IC and OOC linkshells.

6: Crafting Guilds... am I able to have a crafting guild active the same time as my class guild? Or do I switch between them when I need to do crafting stuff (like I do when I want to switch between rogue/pugilist)? I want to get into it, but I'm not sure how this works.

You do need to switch between the crafting classes by changing your main hand arm, just like other classes (the "Armoury System" is a key part of XIV). However, you can unlock as many crafting classes as you want and work on them as you see fit, just like combat classes. I'm not a big crafter, so I can't really provide advice on the best way to level crafting, but you can definitely unlock all the crafts at once if you want.

Rogue weapons are made with blacksmithing, rogue armor largely with leatherworking, and jewelry with goldsmithing. Personally, I find jewelry is the hardest thing to find when gearing a character, so I prefer goldsmithing, but you'll find that the game is pretty generous with gear in quest rewards and dungeons.

1. It is the Valentione's set! It is an event outfit for Valentine's day in February. They may put it back in the cash shop around the time of the event again.

2. They call it glamour here. We use prisms to bind the glamour onto your current gear. I believe you unlock it at 50 but don't quote me on that.

3. Which one? There are so many combinations of things to make an outfit.

4. There are retainers. In each of the three main city-states you can find a person called a Retainer Vocate and you can hire one. This acts as a bank and they can sell your items for you as well. You can have up to two Retainers or you can buy more to add to your subscription fee.

5. In WoW they are like your channels. They are chats for groups of people to have and you invite people to them instead of just joining one. They act like guilds but without ranks or any of the perks. You can have up to 8!

6. You switch between them like you would your combat classes by equipping the main hand. Like a saw for a Carpenter. They get a separate set of gear as well, just like your regular classes.

7. That is up to you. When someone wants to seriously level crafting they usually will do all of them for different types of cross class skills (each crafting class has a skill limited to them) to make crafting easier.

Hello!

Nublet here! :D

So after a nice little gaming session, I have some questions. I can probably google them, but seeing as I'm in no rush and it's another excuse to post here, I thought I might as well ask here! Soooooo:

1: I saw an Alice in Wonderland-like costume. With nifty black and white stockings and all. WHERE DO I FIND THIS?! Totally adorable. >.<

It's from a valentine's day outfit, which you can buy on Mog Station for about $5. It's a full outfit, though the item you're looking for with the stockings is the leg. The outfit cost is per-character, unfortunately.

Yes, but you can't do it until level 50. I'm not sure why, that's just the level of the quest. I think you also need to have a level 50 crafting class, but I could be wrong about that.

Lots of outfits look piratey! Eyepatch "head armor" are common for Disciple of War classes, and eyeglasses are common for Disciple of Magic, so it's possible to level up using those as your active item even without any cosmetic armor system pre-50 (you'd just only upgrade your head slot when the next item of an eyepatch/eyeglasses comes up).

4: Is there a spot to store crafting stuff? I have a ton of it in my inventory but don't want to sell it yet until I know what use it may be. <.<

This game's version of banking (and auctioning) uses Retainers, which are NPCs who can store your items and sell them on the market (as well as running some sidequest type missions in order to get you loot). You'll unlock Retainers eventually in the Main Story Quests (around level 20 quests, IIRC). You get two for free, but you can add an additional fee to your monthly subscription to enable you to have more (up to 8 maximum). This additional subscription fee adds retainers to all characters on your account, so it can be worth it if you plan to do a lot of crafting (or you like to squirrel away lots of items).

A linkshell is a user-created chat channel. The creator can designate others as having moderating rights, and users can be invited or kicked as needed. If you want to add your own alts, you'll need at least one other player to have moderator rights (at least temporarily). You can register a new linkshell in any of the three main cities, and you can be in up to 8 (I think?) linkshells at once. To type in them, you use chat prefix "/L#" with # being the number that linkshell is on your character's list. 

Once you complete your level 10 class quest in your initial class, you unlock the ability to pick up any class in the game. Classes include both combat classes and non-combat (crafting/gathering) classes. In theory that means one character could become a level 60 everything if you choose (though it would require a ton of grinding to do that).

Whichever makes you happiest! Calliope has rogue as her main class and I didn't do any crafting at all until level 50+, so it's not really required. You'll save a little gil by crafting items yourself, but leveling up via the Main Story Quests goes quickly, and the Main Story Quests feed you equipment as quest rewards. My advice would be to hustle your main class up to 50+ ASAP, which goes easiest by focusing on the Main Story Quests. If you do an occasional Duty Finder Roulette (random dungeons) for the daily exp bonus, and you hit the occasional Fate quest as you do your other quests, it won't take long. If your long-term goal is to focus on Ninja, you will also need to get to Pugilist 15 (required to unlock the Ninja job, which you can unlock at Rogue 30), and Lancer 34 (for cross-class skills).

I think this is all I need for now... if I have more I'll probably post here again. Thanks!

Welcome! :) Replies are above in red.

Don't forget the Plundered set from Dzemael Darkhold at 44.  It's so piratey it comes with an achievment for wearing it all.  It's also sellable on the market board, so you can snatch up a full set for 100k gil or so once you hit 44.

Buccaneer's Set!

I should mention that the Buccaneer's set hat is a Tricone (I think there's three like this and then there's another tricone that is more... I dunno how to describe it. Captain Hook. The Tricorn are more Johnny Depp's Capt Jack Sparrow.

Someone *cough* Vitamin C aka Orenji has a Tricorn and Pirate Patch. Not sure if photoshop or if you can have both.

There's lots of pirate outfits. :)

The most immediately accessible one is the Plundered set, dropped by the bosses in the first three dungeons (Sastasha, Tam-Tara Deepcroft, and Copperbell Mines). Other things show up as dungeon drops in the 30s (various aethereal items) and at 50 (Sipahi set, from Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep).

It's not a commonly utilized site, but I like how the Eorzean database lists stuff. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/?category2=3

Small corrections:

Plundered DoW from the first three dungeons are Goggles (Disciple of War helm) or Celata (Tank helm). Pirate's Bandana is the most Piratey item and is not actually a "Plundered" titled item.

Sadly, you can't buy these items, you'd need to run the dungeons (but I -think- silver chocobo feathers can buy these).

You can get eye patches or bandanas as soon as level 5. There is a level 1 Gryphonskin Eyepatch but it's fancy and I don't know current marketboard price.

Might just be me, but I prefer the shirts like Cotton Shirts as the chest pieces for a pirate look. There's a particular shirt that I like because of the way it could be dyed and the side leather pieces but I don't remember it. I like simple Linen Slops for pants.

Not sure about boots but if I had a pirate outfit I'd have to be at least level 43 as a Disciple of War.

Might just be me, but I prefer the shirts like Cotton Shirts as the chest pieces for a pirate look. There's a particular shirt that I like because of the way it could be dyed and the side leather pieces but I don't remember it. I like simple Linen Slops for pants.

Not sure about boots but if I had a pirate outfit I'd have to be at least level 43 as a Disciple of War.

I'm a huge fan of the cotton shirts (and the Sipahi Shirt, which is basically an already dyed cotton shirt) for a pirate-y outfit. I think in my pirate outfit for L'yhta (don't ask :) ) I use either the Fistfighter's Jackboots or one of the aetherial leather boot options from the 30-45 range -- maybe the aetherial ironclad boots? Those might be a bit too heavy-looking for some pirate outfits, though.

I tried the Guardian Corps Boots, but they're a little silly-looking with the rest of the outfit. :)

Ugh. WHY did you have to tell me about the mogstation shop? D: Wallet funding is angry with me. :(

<3

So. New Question. I'm a Wiki-Dumbass. I use the crap out of them. Love them! No idea on the actual editing part.

I am going to do a character page or two for my current main/alt.

Reading the wiki page it says: 

Simply go to the Character Profile page, and in the top right corner 'Create' search box and type in your character name. Please search first and last name, for organizational purposes! Your search will create a page under that character name!

However I'm not sure I grasp the whole 'go to the Character Profile page' part. I don't see any Character Profile link, outside of the link that takes me to the main page for ALL character profiles.

>.<

I did search my character's name in the search box on the main wiki page and I got the classic Red Link related to my character name that I could edit...

Do I just edit this way?

And afterwards how does it link to the Character Profiles list? Do I have to do that manually or?...

Sorry. I'm daft in the wiki department!

Ugh. WHY did you have to tell me about the mogstation shop? D: Wallet funding is angry with me. :(

<3

So. New Question. I'm a Wiki-Dumbass. I use the crap out of them. Love them! No idea on the actual editing part.

I am going to do a character page or two for my current main/alt.

Reading the wiki page it says: 

Simply go to the Character Profile page, and in the top right corner 'Create' search box and type in your character name. Please search first and last name, for organizational purposes! Your search will create a page under that character name!

However I'm not sure I grasp the whole 'go to the Character Profile page' part. I don't see any Character Profile link, outside of the link that takes me to the main page for ALL character profiles.

>.<

I did search my character's name in the search box on the main wiki page and I got the classic Red Link related to my character name that I could edit...

Do I just edit this way?

And afterwards how does it link to the Character Profiles list? Do I have to do that manually or?...

Sorry. I'm daft in the wiki department!

Once the page is created it is automatically added to the Characters list. You can just edit from the page itself using the "edit" button.

Once the page is created it is automatically added to the Characters list. You can just edit from the page itself using the "edit" button.

Ugh. I'm not sure I did it right then. I 'published' a character page (or so I thought) but it didn't turn up in the all characters list or the player character list.

Ugh. I'm not sure I did it right then. I 'published' a character page (or so I thought) but it didn't turn up in the all characters list or the player character list.

You speak of the characters list in the library itself, yes?

I believe so!

This list is the one I was looking at- just to be sure: 

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Category:Character

On the main page of the wiki I used the Search Function on the top right and put in Orphyn Xlll which took me to a page that hadn't been created yet. So I clicked the red link of my CHaracter name and put in a little test message and hit publish.

I got this page afterwards: 

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Orphyn_Xlll

That seems to have worked. I used one of the premade templates, pasted the code and now it shows up!

Thanks for your help <3 I'm very daft with Wiki stuff lol

Will work on edits when I get home, now!

And thanks Calliope! :P Every little bit counts!