Server Selection (Prelude)

Kylin

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take ownership of the suggestion. The fact is we were discussing in the T.A.L.E. IRC why it was necessary to wait three days before having to [probably] ultimately reroll our characters on another server and potentially risk losing our character name. There was nothing 'tyrannical' about the proposal. I was made with the best of intentions on behalf of myself and the community to which I belong (which I had thought was the purpose of the Council forums). The goal would have been to allow for one person that represents the community to expediate an otherwise lengthy (and some feel unnecessary) process. I had suggested that Castiel, who has always shown to have the RP community's interests close at heart, push the button when the time came. But really it doesn't matter who was chosen, so long as it was agreed upon for everyone to follow suit.

But apparently server choice IZ. SERIOUS. BUSINESS. And what seems to be an extremely vocal minority has cried out in opposition. While I adamantly disagree with the reasons being cited against this proposal, the fact is that emails have already been mass distributed and the end of the timeframe is rapidly approaching so, as Castiel said above, there's really no sense in overhauling what we already stated we were going to do. Frankly though, I wish someone had thought to suggest this sooner, as there's no reason we shouldn't really be able to mobilize ourselves on one server within minutes of the server list being announced.

Sadly, the general attitude from some people towards something as simple as a suggestion has given me a great deal of pause concerning what will be my level of involvement with regard to cross-guild RP and the RPC in general, once the game is underway.

That and we also just shattered our most users online at once record.

Hooray!

My whole point is just that I don't care where we end up. As long as we're together I don't care if it's an executive decree. That tends to be more efficient. /shrug

I'm not saying I have any problem with the vote, I just don't understand people freaking out over a vote being canceled when it's not going to be over something that is, to me, not important.

I'll take ownership of the suggestion. The fact is we were discussing in the T.A.L.E. IRC why it was necessary to wait three days before having to [probably] ultimately reroll our characters on another server and potentially risk losing our character name. There was nothing 'tyrannical' about the proposal. I was made with the best of intentions on behalf of myself and the community to which I belong (which I had thought was the purpose of the Council forums). The goal would have been to allow for one person that represents the community to expediate an otherwise lengthy (and some feel unnecessary) process. I had suggested that Castiel, who has always shown to have the RP community's interests close at heart, push the button when the time came. But really it doesn't matter who was chosen, so long as it was agreed upon for everyone to follow suit.

But apparently server choice IZ. SERIOUS. BUSINESS. And what seems to be an extremely vocal minority has cried out in opposition. While I adamantly disagree with the reasons being cited against this proposal, the fact is that emails have already been mass distributed and the end of the timeframe is rapidly approaching so, as Castiel said above, there's really no sense in overhauling what we already stated we were going to do. Frankly though, I wish someone had thought to suggest this sooner, as there's no reason we shouldn't really be able to mobilize ourselves on one server within minutes of the server list being announced.

Sadly, the general attitude from some people towards something as simple as a suggestion has given me a great deal of pause concerning what will be my level of involvement with regard to cross-guild RP and the RPC in general, once the game is underway.

I have no ill will towards your suggestion. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I respect your opinion just as much as I would hope others respect my own opinion. The fact that it is under consideration does not bother me. I only said that I understand why individuals would be upset over the matter, because they have a fear of losing that choice, and that choice is indeed a very big deal. When it comes to the matter of 'choice' it is always a big deal, regardless of the details of the choice being made.

We may be the 'vocal' minority, but that it only seems that way because we are the only ones being vocal. Believe me when I say there are many more that feel as we do, but are more 'lurkers' then they are 'vocal'.

It also saddens me how individuals on both sides of the argument are planning to take the route of "you don't agree with me so I don't want to hang around you anymore". This only perpetuates our community to be further divided. We should be working on building bridges, not burning them.

That and we also just shattered our most users online at once record.

Hooray!

My whole point is just that I don't care where we end up. As long as we're together I don't care if it's an executive decree. That tends to be more efficient. /shrug

I'm not saying I have any problem with the vote, I just don't understand people freaking out over a vote being canceled when it's not going to be over something that is, to me, not important.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. All things of this nature are subjective through the eyes of the individual.

It also saddens me how individuals on both sides of the argument are planning to take the route of "you don't agree with me so I don't want to hang around you anymore". This only perpetuates our community to be further divided. We should be working on building bridges' date=' not burning them.[/quote']

Is that an impression or did anyone actually say that?

It also saddens me how individuals on both sides of the argument are planning to take the route of "you don't agree with me so I don't want to hang around you anymore". This only perpetuates our community to be further divided. We should be working on building bridges' date=' not burning them.[/quote']

It's just the impression I'm starting to get, which I hope I'm wrong. I don't care if your religious, non-religious, democrat, republican, etc. I love all of you all the same and hope to create great friendships with you all.

My impression is just based upon some of the posts that I have seen which don't really seem like 'friendly disagreements', and that worries me.

I think it is more of implied that some people feel a bit offended and put off by how intense things got and simply choose to distance themselves. At least that's what i've gathered from reading the forums so far. It seems mostly to be a misunderstanding of words and attitudes. Personally I think this kind of debate is healthy and needed within any community. Will everyone get along? Of course not. Will people get annoyed with others suggestions? Sure they will. But at the end of the day we should still come together as one community after the debate is over because let's face it, RPers will always be a minority on any server we choose, and the more divided we are the more we limit our potential RP.

I've read some pretty silly and crazy things to me, but I understand that things aren't personal and people are simply voicing their opinions so no I don't hold it against people nor judge them for their passion or lack or passion on any subject.

If someone feels something is a huge deal who am I to say it isn't. All I will do is give my opinion and hope after the debate has ended we can still be "cool".

For clarity's sake on my final paragraph, I take no issue with the disagreement itself. I hold no expectation that everyone will miraculously agree with everything I say and do. The suggestion was brought up first in the IRC and then to the Council. I am a very practical individual, and I realize that pragmatism doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with the traits that make most RPers good at what they do.

I do maintain that the way some of the aforementioned disagreements that were presented lacked a certain amount of tact, much less consideration - which I will admit generally does nothing to enhance my desire to interact with a person.

Why are people so upset about this? Isn't the most important thing that we end up on the same server? Then it's up to us to make THAT server a great, growing roleplay server, no matter what name. I really think it's a shame if something like this put a split in the community. Come on people, we're supposed to be a community, let's try to BE a community instead of bickering among ourselves.

I think it is more of implied that some people feel a bit offended and put off by how intense things got and simply choose to distance themselves. At least that's what i've gathered from reading the forums so far. It seems mostly to be a misunderstanding of words and attitudes. Personally I think this kind of debate is healthy and needed within any community. Will everyone get along? Of course not. Will people get annoyed with others suggestions? Sure they will. But at the end of the day we should still come together as one community after the debate is over because let's face it, RPers will always be a minority on any server we choose, and the more divided we are the more we limit our potential RP.

I've read some pretty silly and crazy things to me, but I understand that things aren't personal and people are simply voicing their opinions so no I don't hold it against people nor judge them for their passion or lack or passion on any subject.

If someone feels something is a huge deal who am I to say it isn't. All I will do is give my opinion and hope after the debate has ended we can still be "cool".

Very well put. That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Just a few more days and this will ALL be over ;)

At least for me, I'm having my bf over for 2 weeks, so I doubt I'll be spending much time on the computer until launch.

So good luck to the rest of you. And can I have a piece of that pie? Since the cake IS obviously a lie :(

Since this thread is now ending on a semi-positive note, it's now the opportune moment to lock it before it somehow goes back the other way. The discussion was essentially over quite some time ago anyway.

The server poll is being posted within about 24 hours now. The process is mostly final and nobody has spoken out about it since it was posted in the Headlines section quite some time ago. Nobody has spoken out against the minor changes I posted in this thread either and there seems to be overwhelming support for taking it down to a 24 hour voting period. If there are other proposed changes, it's a bit late now because of how close we are to kickoff. Thus, the bickering about proposals that aren't even being used is pointless. No point burning bridges between RPers already. It's to my understanding that Aion's RP community temporarily had a rather toxic environment during the voting period. Let's show that we can handle the situation better.

Everyone just breathe and wait until tomorrow. When the poll gets posted up, I hope everyone will be as civil and supportive as possible. Remember that at the end of the day, we're all here for the exact same reason. In the meantime, go kick up your feet in another forum section, eat some pie and cake, and relax. That way we can all go into tomorrow's vote with a clear head and as stress free as possible.