Best Retro Game I Never See Anyone Talk About.

I am a retro gamer.  Not because it's a fad or because I'm a hipster, but because those were the games I loved growing up and I still like to play them.  This is fairly common as there are many like me.  And all the really good retro games are well documented on millions of top 10 or top 100 lists all across the internet.  Everyone, even kids who don't play retro games, have heard that games like Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros 3 are some of the best games made before 3D changed things.  

But there is one game that I played for hours and hours and hours over and over that I've never heard anyone mention in these lists.  Now this could very well just be me, but everyone I know who has managed to play this game also loves it.  It's a little arcade shooter made by Midway called:  Smash T.V.  

It's your father's twin stick shooter.  Not your grandfather's twin stick shooter, because that would be Robotron 2084.  No, Smash T.V. only had 2 arcade joysticks for each player as controls.  One made your character walk in whatever direction you pushed it, and the other made your character shoot in whatever direction you pushed that one.  My fellow classic oldschool arcade gamers will note this is the exact control setup for classic 80's twin stick shooter Robotron 2084.  

Smash T.V. has the most amazingly 90's set up ever.  With some inspiration from 80's action movies thrown in for more awesomeness.  

The concept is that the year is the distant future of 1999 where Smash T.V. has accurately predicted that mankind has become more violent than ever and loves reality TV.  You play a contestant on a game show called Smash T.V. where the object is that you are thrown into a long series of rooms full of traps, hazards, bombs, turrets, thugs, robots, tanks, and many other things that try to actually kill you while you run around avoiding death and shooting them with amazing gun power ups you pick up on the ground.  Not only are you supposed to slaughter hundreds of thugs and robots set on killing you, but you also need to pick up the amazing cash and prizes sitting out waiting for a lucky contestant willing to pick them up!  You can win things like a NEW VCR or even a MICROWAVE or a Smash T.V. board game!

Like any good gameshow, there is a wonderful game show host with personality to spare and 2 lovely show ladies hanging on his arms at all times.  He spouts very 90's catch phrases each time you see him.  Each room of the game has a clever name that are extremely dated 90's pop culture references.  For example, many many rooms have something to do with "turtles".  The boss fights are epic quarter munchers.  They are hard but exciting and a sight to behold.  The gameplay is very fast paced.  You never have a moment to rest, not even when you clear a room and have to move to the next, because if you take too long to move to the next room, invincible razor disc things start shooting out of the other doors that hunt you down.  The action is relentless and you'll just want to keep playing to see if you can make it to the next room.  Get one more free lawn mower, a few more thousands of dollars.  Or even see if you can collect enough keys to make it into the mythical Pleasure Dome.  

And what else?  This game was released years before Mortal Kombat and contains far more gallons of blood per minute than even Mortal Kombat X could hope to produce.  Granted, it's low res pixelated blood.  

I present to you a very long video of the entire arcade experience, just to give you further insight to this amazingly addictive game.  Prepare to witness a most excellent display of 90's explosions and carnage.

PRHSi4hBHSM

Plenty of people talk about this game! It's the forefather of a ton of games today! Heck, Smash TV was one of the first of what is considered a 'rogue like'. Look at binding of isaac. Here's one list of twin stick shooters, most of these are great games too.

Here's another list of just top down shooters. Shows how the genre evolved into a sort of puzzle/skill related game with Hotline Miami and the like. The genre is well and alive, and I'm glad. Twin stick shooters are some of the most engaging and entertaining games there are. Heck, I've sat for two hours and played Geometry wars in one sitting.

The first game to be considered a Rogue-Like was Rogue. Smash TV and Binding of Isaac fall more into the twinstick-shooter genre that was mentioned. Rogue-likes require a totally different set of skills than reflex shooters of any variety do.

That aside, I fondly remember Smash TV. I also loved the Running Man movie, so I think they might be related.

Cash and prizes! I LOVE IT.

I'm still trying to understand exactly what a Rogue-like is, as I've only started to hear the term in the last few years. Apparently the genre encompasses a lot of older generation JRPGs that I really hated (but are super obscure) like Azure Dreams and Thousand Arms (has nothing to do with Wild ARMs) for PS1, and Time Stalkers for Dreamcast. Man, I hated all of those games.

But yes, Smash T.V. was one of the original twin stick shooters with Robotron coming before it, and Total Carnage coming right after it. I, too, have spent hours playing Geometry Wars. I love that game. And I've often wished someone would make a sequel to Smash T.V. When I was going to college for game design, I had plans on making a FPS shooter remake of the game myself, but that didn't pan out.

The nods to many classic 80's action movies is very obvious in Smash T.V. The Running Man is a clear inspiration for the storyline, and the game show host in the game uses many memorable quotes from movies like original Robocop. "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Certainly not retro, but seeing as it's the first videogame I'v ever played, it's retro to me, but it was "Disney's The Jungle Book" back in 1994.

I was 7yrs old and after that game I was hooked on videogames, then my lttle gaming system broke down and it was one given to me so never touched videogames again till PS2 and Ace Combat 04.

Meet Rogue.

Rogue_Unix_Screenshot_CAR.PNG

Rogue is a balls-hard CRPG. It sort of set the tone for... well, the entire rogue-like genre. You might perhaps know one of them better as...

Nethack! Meet Nethack. Note this is not another Rogue screen.

NethackScreenshot.gif

Nethack is a huge, huge game, also randomly generated every time you enter. Permadeath is definitely a thing, and it is entirely possible to begin a game and die before you get two steps due to enemy encounters.

Rogue-lite games like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy (not an accidental name) exist to carry over some of the same concepts: Crushing difficulty, permadeath, gradual learning through failure but allow a user's gameplaying skill to help them out: Someone who is great at Metroidvania-style games will excel at Rogue Legacy and people with twinstick/topdown shooter experience will be aided in Isaac.

Rogue-likes don't give a shit for how good your reflexes are, since they only act when you do. Monsters don't take a step until you move, and combat is a series of dice rolls you have (seemingly limited) control over. You can't out-play a rogue-like as you can a rogue-lite.

I am a grognard.

Meet Rogue.

Rogue is a balls-hard CRPG. It sort of set the tone for... well, the entire rogue-like genre. You might perhaps know one of them better as...

NethackScreenshot.gif

Nethack is a huge, huge game, also randomly generated every time you enter. Permadeath is definitely a thing, and it is entirely possible to begin a game and die before you get two steps due to enemy encounters.

Rogue-lite games like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy (not an accidental name) exist to carry over some of the same concepts: Crushing difficulty, permadeath, gradual learning through failure but allow a user's gameplaying skill to help them out: Someone who is great at Metroidvania-style games will excel at Rogue Legacy and people with twinstick/topdown shooter experience will be aided in Isaac.

Rogue-likes don't give a shit for how good your reflexes are, since they only act when you do. Monsters don't take a step until you move, and combat is a series of dice rolls you have (seemingly limited) control over. You can't out-play a rogue-like as you can a rogue-lite.

I am a grognard.

Er, It's rogue-like, not rogue-exactly like. Hence why I said smash was one of the first rogue-like.

Roguelikes are defined by a couple of characteristics. One, the levels are almost always randomly generated. Two There are upgrades or items that either carry when you die (or in extreme versions, lost entirely.). And Rpgue-likes are definitely not mutually exclusive to any genre.

They definitely do not require the same skill set. Other than maybe, critical thinking. They can be anything from platformers to turn based RPGs. As well as twitch shooters and twin stick shooters.

Here's a list of rogue-likes on steam. As you can see the Isaac series is among them.

Rogue Legacy is a personal favorite of mine, great platforming, gameplay and music.

FTL is another great Rogue-like. Space battles and all that.

Darkest Dungeon is a turn based, class Rogue like, very cool. Super unforgiving.

Last is Sunless sea. A super atmospheric game, very lovecraft-esque. And just as brutal as Darkest Dungeon.

Meet Rogue.

NethackScreenshot.gif

I am a grognard.

Er, It's rogue-like, not rogue-exactly like. Hence why I said smash was one of the first rogue-like.

Roguelikes are defined by a couple of characteristics. One, the levels are almost always randomly generated. Two There are upgrades or items that either carry when you die (or in extreme versions, lost entirely.). And Rpgue-likes are definitely not mutually exclusive to any genre.

They definitely do not require the same skill set. Other than maybe, critical thinking. They can be anything from platformers to turn based RPGs. As well as twitch shooters and twin stick shooters.

Here's a list of rogue-likes on steam. As you can see the Isaac series is among them.

Rogue Legacy is a personal favorite of mine, great platforming, gameplay and music.

Darkest Dungeon is a turn based, class Rogue like, very cool. Super unforgiving.

Last is Sunless sea. A super atmospheric game, very lovecraft-esque. And just as brutal as Darkest Dungeon.

I blame TVtropes. By that logic, anything with a New Game Plus is a Rogue-Like.

The term exists to describe games that are specifically like Rogue, the game. I can't call Need for Speed an RC-Pro AM-like because they both involve cars. Rogue-lite (emphasis on LITE) refers to the less-hardcore variety of games that Rogue Legacy and Isaac fall into.

Edit: To further differentiate, you do not carry over data or items beyond your personal player knowledge in Rogue, Amgband, Nethack or the myriad other Rogue-likes that are based on Rogue. You have two features, really: Permadeath and random maps. They're played in a very specific way that is sort of its own genre because they don't share gameplay with anything else, hence the title. Rogue Legacy is equal parts legacy-data from your myriad deaths but it's also an action platformer. Isaac is as much a twinstick shooter as it is a gradual unlocking game. FTL is... Sort of unique as well, and is likely closer to the spirit than the other examples. I haven't played Darkest Dungeon but I believed it was closer to Wizardry (and could be wrong) and while I do quite enjoy Sunless Sea as well, it's still not exactly the same; It's a top-down shooter with excellent atmosphere and writing at the heart of it.

I realize I'm arguing semantics and derailing. Someone report me.

Smash TV misses a few key components for being a Rogue Like.

It's crushing difficulty isn't something that's surpassable with knowledge, experience, and luck. It's crushing and unsurpassable for the use for quarters.

The dungeon levels aren't fully randomly generated, they follow incredibly set rules and themes.  There's no unknown magical items or randomized item/equipment of any sort outside of basic game pickups.

And it doesn't have a form of permadeath or semi-permadeath.  You technically have infinite lives.

It's an arcade twin-stick shooter, and amazingly fun one with a hilarious theme, but that's it.

--

Darkest Dungeon and FTL are likely the closest to a pure rogue-like game in that there's randomized dungeon, zero reflex-skill gameplay, permadeath, a stamina-decay, and crushing difficultly.

DD does veer a bit because you keep a roster of folks, rather than a single playable character/party that needs survive the whole game. Also the art style is amazing.

--

On topic : I LOVED Smash TV and the glut of games back then that tried to emulate some sort of blood-sport TV show.

Does anyone remember this lovely fellow?

Meet Rogue.

NethackScreenshot.gif

I am a grognard.

I blame TVtropes. By that logic, anything with a New Game Plus is a Rogue-Like.

The term exists to describe games that are specifically like Rogue, the game. I can't call Need for Speed an RC-Pro AM-like because they both involve cars. Rogue-lite (emphasis on LITE) refers to the less-hardcore variety of games that Rogue Legacy and Isaac fall into.

Edit: To further differentiate, you do not carry over data or items beyond your personal player knowledge in Rogue, Amgband, Nethack or the myriad other Rogue-likes that are based on Rogue. You have two features, really: Permadeath and random maps. They're played in a very specific way that is sort of its own genre because they don't share gameplay with anything else, hence the title. Rogue Legacy is equal parts legacy-data from your myriad deaths but it's also an action platformer. Isaac is as much a twinstick shooter as it is a gradual unlocking game. FTL is... Sort of unique as well, and is likely closer to the spirit than the other examples. I haven't played Darkest Dungeon but I believed it was closer to Wizardry (and could be wrong) and while I do quite enjoy Sunless Sea as well, it's still not exactly the same; It's a top-down shooter with excellent atmosphere and writing at the heart of it.

I realize I'm arguing semantics and derailing. Someone report me.

It looks like you're grasping at straws man.  You're not really providing any reason these things aren't Rogue-likes, other than you don't think they are. The games are classified under those tags for a reason.

I'm not going to derail the topic, but you can't say your opinion is fact. The term represents more than games that are like rogue. In fact, grammatically. "Like rogue" and "rogue like" imply different things. E.g "This game is like rogue. it plays the same." and "This is rogue like, it's got aspects of rogue in it."

It looks like you're grasping at straws man.  You're not really providing any reason these things aren't Rogue-likes, other than you don't think they are. The games are classified under those tags for a reason.

I'm not going to derail the topic, but you can't say your opinion is fact. The term represents more than games that are like rogue. In fact, grammatically. "Like rogue" and "rogue like" imply different things. E.g "This game is like rogue. it plays the same." and "This is rogue like, it's got aspects of rogue in it."

It's not straws, it's just fighting back against the extremely casual term for games that have nothing to do with Rogue or it's successors besides some glossed over similarities.

The games play nothing like Rogue, ergo they are not like Rogue. "Crushing difficulty" with "permadeath" refers to lots of titles.

Double post because I am a fucking loser and it's a Friday night:

Check this out.

Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural generation of game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, permanent death of the player-character, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting. Roguelikes descend from the 1980 game Rogue, particularly mirroring Rogue's character- or sprite-based graphics. From 2000 onwards, new variations of roguelikes incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements and graphical styles have become popular, and are sometimes called "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite", or "procedural death labyrinths" to reflect the variation from titles which mimic the gameplay of traditional roguelikes more faithfully.

Key features

The interface of the original Rogue as it looked on an ASCII computer terminal

An example of a more modern user-interface for a roguelike, showing the isometric "Vultures" sprite-based interface for the game Nethack.

The genre of roguelike broadly encompasses the gameplay that was introduced in the text-based game Rogue, which bore out many variations due to its popularity. Rogue's ruleset itself has influences from Dungeons & Dragons. Because of the expansion of numerous variations on the roguelike theme, the gameplay elements characterizing the roguelike genre were explicitly defined at the International Roguelike Development Conference 2008; these factors encompass what is known as the "Berlin Interpretation".[1][2] Some of the "high value factors" used in this definition include:

Roguelike games randomly generate tile-based dungeon levels,[3] though they may include static levels as well. Generated layouts typically incorporate rooms connected by corridors, some of which may be preset to some degree (e.g., monster lairs or treasuries). Open areas or natural features, such as rivers, may also occur.

The identity of magical items varies across games. Newly discovered objects only offer a vague physical description that is randomized between games, with purposes and capabilities left unstated. For example, a "bubbly" potion might heal wounds one game, then poison the player character in the next. Items are often subject to alteration, acquiring specific traits, such as a curse, or direct player modification.

The combat system is turn-based instead of real-time. Gameplay is usually step-based, where player actions are performed serially and take a variable measure of in-game time to complete. Game processes (e.g., monster movement and interaction, progressive effects such as poisoning or starvation) advance based on the passage of time dictated by these actions.

Most are single-player games. On multi-user systems, leaderboards are often shared between players. Some roguelikes allow traces of former player characters to appear in later game sessions in the form of ghosts or grave markings. Some games such as NetHack even have the player's former characters reappear as enemies within the dungeon. Multi-player derivatives such as TomeNET, MAngband, and Crossfire do exist and are playable online.

Roguelikes traditionally implement permadeath. Once a character dies, the player must begin a new game. A "save game" feature will only provide suspension of gameplay and not a limitlessly recoverable state; the stored session is deleted upon resumption or character death. Players can circumvent this by backing up stored game data ("save scumming"), an act that is usually considered cheating.

USGamer mentions "stamina decay" as another feature. It comes in the form of hunger and the player's character constantly needs to find food to survive. This can prevent an exploit where they repeatedly pass turns to regenerate their character health or try to gain experience points by continuously killing weak enemies by staying at low level dungeons.[4]

Skip ahead!

Growth in Western markets (2002–onward)

Though new classical roguelike variants would continue to be developed within the Western market, the genre languished as more advanced personal computers capable of improved graphics capabilities and games that utilized these features became popular.[29] However, some of these new graphical games drew influence for roguelike concepts, notably action role-playing games like Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo (1996). Blizzard acknowledged that games like Nethack, Telengard and other roguelikes influenced the design of Diablo, including the nature of randomly generated dungeons and loot.[30] New roguelikes that adhere to core Berlin Interpretation rules are still being developed, including Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (2006), Dungeons of Dredmor (2011), and Dwarf Fortress (2006), the latter also seen as a major contribution to Minecraft.[4][31]

Instead, roguelikes saw a resurgence in Western markets through independent developers after 2000. Efforts were made by indie developers to incorporate roguelike elements into non-traditional titles, with one of the earliest examples being Strange Adventures in Infinite Space (2002) and its sequel Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space (2005) by Digital Eel, both space exploration games that included randomly generated planets and encounters. Digital Eel based their work on rogulikes like Nethack but wanted to provide a shorter experience that would be easier to replay.[32]

Spelunky (2008) is also considered to be a major contribution to the growth of indie-developed roguelikes.[4] The game combined the procedural level generation and permadeath concepts of roguelikes with platformer game mechanics. The game was commented on by developers as being a means of creating "deep" gameplay in which the game could be replayed over and over again, with the randomly-generated situations driving the need for the player to develop novel, emergent strategies on the fly; developer Jason Rohrer stated that Spelunky "totally revamped my thinking about single-player videogame design".[33] Similar genre-combining games would follow, including The Binding of Isaac (2011), FTL: Faster Than Light (2012), and Rogue Legacy (2012) were all roguelike-based games that received critical praise, and their success has led to a more modern resurgence in roguelikes since.[34][35][4]

The newfound success in roguelikes is considered part of a larger trend in those that play both board and computer games, looking for "rich play experiences", as described by 100 Rogues developer Keith Burgun, that more popular titles may not always offer.[34] David Bamguart of Gaslight Games stated that there is a thrill of the risk inherent in roguelikes with random generation and permadeath, helping the player become more invested in the fate of their player-character: "The deadly precariousness inherent to the unknown environments of roguelikes gives that investment a great deal of meaning."[36] Additionally, many of these newer roguelikes strive to address the apparent high difficulty and ruthlessness that traditional roguelikes were known for, and newer players will be able to find more help through user-generated game guides and walkthroughs made possible through wide Internet accessibility.[36]

Particularly for smaller indie developers, the nature of the procedural-generated world allows teams to deliver many hours worth of game content without having to spend resources and development time on fleshing out detailed worlds.[34][35] This also allows developers to devote more time in building out complex gameplay features and their interacting systems that are part of the enjoyment of roguelike games.[36]

With the expansion of both classical roguelikes and modern roguelike-like titles, there has been more interest in developing roguelikes. The 7 Day Roguelike challenge (7DRL) was born out of a USENET newsgroup in 2005 for roguelike developers, informally challenging them to create the core of a novel roguelike within 7 days to be submitted for judging and play by the public. The competition has continued annually each year, since growing from 5-6 entries in 2005 to over 130 in 2014.[37][38]

Rogue-like games refer to games that play like Rogue, not games that share some features.

The arcade version of Smash T.V. does have a crushing difficulty that can really only be overcome with repeated lives and many quarters. The SNES version, which is the version that I played the most as a kid, is very similar but less punishing due to a few factors. While there are still probably 40-60 enemies on screen at the same time in the SNES version, the arcade version has many many more. The SNES version has 1 or 2 land mines in a room, the arcade version will have 4-5. The SNES version will have 2 of those shrapnel guy that walk around the perimeter of the room and explode. In the arcade version there doesn't seem to be a limit. There are a lot of other examples, especially when you get into the later levels. The 3rd studio is a lot harder in the arcade version than the SNES version.

One thing that I always used to get through the game in the SNES version was the secret prize rooms that would warp you right to the boss. I don't think these worked in the arcade version, and if they do, they aren't in the same places. In the bigger parts of stage 2 and 3, there are rooms that you will have to survive waves of enemies for upwards of 10 to 12 minutes at a time before you finally killed everyone and can move on. But as hard as the game is, I always always was having fun while playing it. Honestly, I think the SNES version had the balance of fun and challenging just perfect, while the arcade version, which was a lot louder, bloodier, looked better, was just too hard for the sake of drawing more quarters.

Honestly' date=' I think the SNES version had the balance of fun and challenging just perfect, while the arcade version, which was a lot louder, bloodier, looked better, was just too hard for the sake of drawing more quarters.[/quote']

It gets worse when you realize old arcade systems had user manuals that described how to make the most money off of an average user by adjusting the difficulty via dipswitches. The game could be brutally punishing if specific arcades wanted the money that badly off a popular game...or it could be adjusted to a level of difficulty more similar to the SNES title. It really depended on the arcade back in the day. These days if you find the game in "free play" arcades you might not find it quite as challenging since it's technically not there to eat your quarters.

My first game was this:

Z0065356.jpg

There were like 30 pages, and there were things to collect on each page as well as several puzzles. Often clues for each puzzle were found spread out through the rest of the book, so ultimately it was incredibly challenging. Most puzzles had no instructions.

It was actually difficult even for adults. That's how we discovered I'm fucking smart.

Before they got bought Midway released a HD version over XBL.

Then it was promptly abandoned.

Was this in addition to the arcade port on Xbox Live, or were they the same thing? I had the XBL version of Smash T.V. but I don't remember it saying anything about being HD. It was just an arcade perfect port with a fancy menu screen added before you start playing.

Speaking of classic games you never see anyone talking about, does anyone recall this little gem? e.v.o.search-for-eden-usa.png

One of my favorites when I was a kid. I miss it dearly.

Loved it! I wish there were more games like it out nowadays. Those bosses could be brutal if you weren't careful though, even if you had the best parts evolved. So, did you remain a dinosaur/bird or become a mammal? Mammal could lead to becoming human, but you could fly around as a bird. I think there were some secrets in the last chapter you could only find as a bird too.

Edit: Also; "Incredible 12 MEGs!" Gee golly, that sure is incredible! :3