Au Ra Religion

Alerie

Hello everyone. I had a quick question about religious beliefs for Au Ra. Through the research I've done so far, I'vefound that Au Ra don't worship the twelve. But I can't find any more information other than theircreation myth involves the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother. Is there more information about this topic? And how religious are the Au Ra in general?

I guess the Xaela tribes will vary significantly on worship due to how diverse they are. I know the Dalamiq tribe worship Dalamud at one point.

Otherwise not much in know about the Dawn/Dusk worship. It also seems that Domans don't worship the 12 either and have their own particular belief systems

Sounsyy will be in here soon to clear this all up definitively, but in brief, as myahele said, the Xaela have a diverse set of beliefs corresponding to their individual tribes/clans.  You can find all the blurbs on the Xaela tribes here.

As for the Raen, as far as we can tell, their religion seems very much like Shinto, which fits with their heavy Japanese flavor.  Sounsyy makes a compelling argument based on flavor text from the NIN questline that they worship the elementals, similar to the Gridanians.

I've found that Au Ra don't worship the twelve. But I can't find any more information other than their creation myth involves the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother. Is there more information about this topic? And how religious are the Au Ra in general?

Worship of the Twelve is restricted primarily to Eorzea. People from other continents worship differently for the most part. So you'll likely not see many, if any, Au Ra believing in the Twelve.

As for geographical distribution' date=' worship of the Twelve is, for the most part, limited to Eorzea.[/quote']

That said what they do believe, is in large part, a mystery. They have a creation myth revolving the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother, but it is not specified whether or not they actually worship the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother. Similarly, there are various Eorzean creation myths involving Midgardsormr, Dalamud, and Perykos and Thalaos, but these entities are not worshiped by any living Eorzeans that we know of. (yes, barring the Dalamud Cultists) Here's the text:

Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Raen believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the former─their brilliant white scales and iron wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Xaela believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the latter─their lustrous black scales and fiery wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Arguably, the use of the word "divine" could have a religious connotation. However, neither Raen nor Xaela tribal lore dictates any unified religious beliefs or preferences, so they could just as easily not worship the Dawn Father or Dusk Mother. Each individual Xaela tribe may have its own religious beliefs and the Raen may follow Doman spiritualism.

Like Goodfellow was saying, I noticed similarities between Oboro's (from the ninja storyline) description of Doman religion and various Hearer's depictions of the Twelveswood's elementals. Which leads me to believe that Domans and Doman Raen by extension, may worship elementals, sprites, or the like.

My people do not worship your deities twelve. Our gods are all around us - in the trees' date=' in the soil, in the crashing waters before you. Close your eyes and open your heart to the sound of the rushing falls, that you might purge your mind of all worldly thoughts and distractions.[/quote']

We draw power from the world around us - the heaven' date=' the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of [i']ay-ther[/i], was it?

-Versus-

Listen' date=' adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.[/quote']

Put your ear to the Twelveswood' date=' sister, and listen with all your being. Know - not fear - know that the Elementals are there. And when you feel that it is they that comprise the life that flows through us all, you will begin to hear their whispers.[/quote']

If you are planning to stay a while, you might want to learn a bit about the elementals.

They reside within all creation, and are the organizing principle at work throughout the world.

The ancient elementals of the Twelveswood are much more powerful and wise than those from other parts of the world.

Anywhoozles, that's about all we know - which isn't much. So a lot of people have taken to headcanoning things that fall in line with Shinto beliefs, which seem to work well with Doma. But note that that should only apply to Raen Au Ra, not Xaela, unless the Xaela lived in or near Doma.

As for geographical distribution' date=' worship of the Twelve is, for the most part, limited to Eorzea.[/quote']

That said what they do believe, is in large part, a mystery.

I'm wondering if they might worship similar deities under different names.

All members of the Oronir tribe believe themselves to be direct descendants of Azim, the tribe's god of the sun.

Azim is similar in name to Aezyma who is also associated with the sun.

All members of the Oronir tribe believe themselves to be direct descendants of Azim, the tribe's god of the sun.

Azim is similar in name to Aezyma who is also associated with the sun.

It's possible, but then you have Nhama vs Menphina and eh... We'd need more gods and goddesses to compare.

The Kagon are a nocturnal desert tribe who worship Nhama' date=' goddess of the moon and mortal enemy of Azim, goddess of the sun. Instructed by their goddess that to step into the sun is to succumb to the evil of Azim, they spend the daylight hours in their tents, only emerging to hunt and migrate at night. The result is an uncharacteristically pale skin for a group of people living in an almost eternally fair-weather locale.[/quote']