Searching for in-game RP

So, I'm fairly new to FFXIV and vastly enjoying it. I have longtime experience playing and RPing on other MMOs and have been really hoping to get involved in some RP here as well. The problem is, the only recommended servers for RP are Balmung and Gilgamesh, and they're consistently full. The going recommendation I've seen is to create a character and then pay to transfer it to one of those two servers, but I really can't afford to throw my money around like that. 

Are there any options for those of us who want to RP somewhere other than those two servers? Any RP guilds I could join someplace else, maybe? I am currently on Zalera, after having read something about a bit of RP on the server, but after starting out there I was told that all of the RPers transferred off-server. If anyone up here has, is in, or knows of a good RP guild on some other server- especially Zalera- please let me know. My husband and I both would be very interested in joining.

Hey there,

Behold, the bringer of terrible news; nope I fear Balmung is your best bet. Gilgamesh is another option, but... Balmung outshines Gilgamesh on the amount of folk we got over there. I fear if you are really into roleplaying, Balmung is the way to go.

I do wish the server was open more often, so folk like yourself could find their ways easier onto Balmung. But I fear for now transfering to Balmung is the only option. There as some attempts to create RP elsewhere. Maybe poke people around in this section of the RPC.

If you do happen to transfer over to Balmung, mind you, as long your character did the few starting quests, and they are over 3 days old, you can transfer up to 8 characters along with you to Balmung. It isn't like WoW where you have to pay for every single one individually, so there is that. However, it does only count for one account, so I fear the both of you still need to dish out the transfer per account.

In any case; if you enjoy the game, besides RP, I think it would be worth the transfer. You will have everything, including the RP on top of it. I made the transfer myself about a year or so ago, and I haven't regretted it since :) Best of luck with whatever choice you two will make!

Much as it's not what I wanted to hear, I suspected as much and I really appreciate you getting back to me. It IS definitely good to know that the transfer cost applies to all of my characters and not only one. I've been playing WoW since vanilla, so I guess I instinctively expected the price gouge.

I think, for the time being, our decision is to stay put, get through the game's storyline and RP it together, using it to develop our characters. If we haven't drummed up some decent RP with other people by the time we get at least one class to max level, then we'll probably transfer. In the meantime, it would be great to take part in creating a new haven for RPers who are just starting the game and don't want to fork over the extra money to get on the only good RP servers!

While Balmung and Gilgamesh are probably the biggest servers, as linked by Virella, we do have a couple smaller-scale ones that are working to grow. I know Siren and Jenova are the two that come to mind for me.

I'm not sure how updated it is, but Siren's got a website to help with coordination here: http://sirenrp.enjin.com/

It's worth giving a try if you're looking for a little bit of RP while deciding if FFXIV is the type of game you'll be interested in! The smaller servers are typically open to new characters, so a quick peek should be doable, unlike Balmung.

Otherwise, there's the RPC too! While the members on this site are mostly Balmung players (but not all), the in-character forums are a good way to get started in RP as well. Especially if you're in the process of fleshing out characters. A fair amount of the people I met happened through forum posts before anything in-game happened.

If you've got any questions on the site, wiki, or other resources, feel free to ask here or poke me anytime. I can also help out with venturing into the forum's depths, where a lot of lore posts and such reside. (The search feature can return a LOT of results sometimes)

Thanks for the info! I may create lowbie characters to check out the two servers that you mentioned. I'm already dead set on staying with the game; it didn't take me long to determine that it was the most fun I've had since the early days of Warcraft, with a community that's twenty times nicer.

I have plenty of backstory and personality fleshed out for my character so far, but I have a huge enjoyment for roleplaying through the game's quests, which have certainly "already happened" for most people's characters. That's why I'm going to go along with that until I get to the end-game, and my character's story will be current with other RPers.

Thanks for the info! I may create lowbie characters to check out the two servers that you mentioned. I'm already dead set on staying with the game; it didn't take me long to determine that it was the most fun I've had since the early days of Warcraft, with a community that's twenty times nicer.

I found the same thing switching over from WoW. I hope you find people to play with on your server, but if you ever switch to Balmung feel free to look me up!