Glamour confusion

I'm not level 50 yet, but I am wondering if this is possible to do so I know if I should plan for it or not. My main character is a Disciple of Magic, but for RP reasons I like wearing non-robe things. Since about 98% of magic/intelligence gear is robes, this causes a problem.

I saw on a Glamour tutorial guide thing on another site that you cannot exchange gear appearances that are not of the same type. Considering there is no such thing as heavy, medium, light, etc. gear in this game, I am confused by that.

For example: Would I be able to use this gear's stats to look like this gear instead? I want the look of the Toadskin Jerkin, but the stats of the Linen Robe in that example. Both say "All Classes" (despite the fact one is obviously meant for magic casters and one is obviously meant for gathering), and the appearance-desired Toadskin Jerkin is lower level than the Linen Robe, which is good since the game won't let you take on the appearance of higher level gear according to that guide.

I tried finding someone on the official forum asking a similar question, and the closest I could find was this, which does kind of concern me. It sounds like they locked some Goggles to gathering only headgear, but I might be misreading.

Anyway, thank you for reading.

You want to look at that descriptor of who can wear the gear. If it says "All Classes" any class can wear it or in your case use it as a glamour, so long as the item you are using as a base for stats is a higher level or item level than the piece you're trying to glamour into. So you can't glamour a level 5 robe to look like a level 50 robe. But you can glamour a level 50 robe into looking like a level 5 robe.

If the descriptor says Disciple of War/Magic, only Disciples of War/Magic can wear that piece as a glamour. If you're a Botanist, you will not be able to equip or glamour it. If the piece says specifically GLA PLD, only a GLA or PLD will be able to equip the item or glamour it.

In simplest terms, if you cannot equip the item as it is, you cannot glamour it on either. But you can certainly glamour a level 25 robe made from a weaver that says All Classes or Disciples of War/Magic into a level 15 leather jacket or piece of armor that also says All Classes or Disciples of War/Magic.

You want to look at that descriptor of who can wear the gear. If it says "All Classes" any class can wear it or in your case use it as a glamour, so long as the item you are using as a base for stats is a higher level or item level than the piece you're trying to glamour into. So you can't glamour a level 5 robe to look like a level 50 robe. But you can glamour a level 50 robe into looking like a level 5 robe.

If the descriptor says Disciple of War/Magic, only Disciples of War/Magic can wear that piece as a glamour. If you're a Botanist, you will not be able to equip or glamour it. If the piece says specifically GLA PLD, only a GLA or PLD will be able to equip the item or glamour it.

In simplest terms, if you cannot equip the item as it is, you cannot glamour it on either. But you can certainly glamour a level 25 robe made from a weaver that says All Classes or Disciples of War/Magic into a level 15 leather jacket or piece of armor that also says All Classes or Disciples of War/Magic.

It sounds good then. Can you please check on that thread I linked to though, and tell me what it's about? It really sounds like they put some sort of restriction on Glamouring some piece of gear that makes no sense to have the restriction.

As well, I don't think you can glamour until you are level 50 and unlocked it with a (easy) quest in Mor Dhona... if my memory serves me well.

I'm well aware, that's why literally the very first thing I said was "I'm not level 50 yet". Thanks for the info anyway though, and the quest is "A Self-improving Man".:thumbsup:

It sounds good then. Can you please check on that thread I linked to though, and tell me what it's about? It really sounds like they put some sort of restriction on Glamouring some piece of gear that makes no sense to have the restriction.

I believe the linked thread is talking about the recently released Ironworks Cap of Gathering, which is restricted to "Disciples of the Land." I think the reason for the upset is that this piece, like most green or blue background items is restricted to one Discipline instead of multiple. You see, most Gathering gear is shared between Crafter and Gatherer. So you'll most commonly see "Disciple of the Land/Hand" just like you see "Disciple of War/Magic" together. However, these new pieces seem to be specific to just "Disciple of Land" and the crafter version is specific to "Disciple of the Hand" something that apparently invoked ire in this particular poster.

Again, it goes back to looking at what items are available to equip. If it says "Disciple of the Land" only gathering classes will be able to equip/glamour. It's a rather annoying restriction, I'll admit, but it's what we work with.

Also in that thread, another player brings up the Artisan Spectacles, a green item that when it first came out was restricted to Disciple of the Hand. It was since changed to be wearable by All Classes. The same may happen to other gear pieces in the future, but that's at the discretion of the devs.

I believe the linked thread is talking about the recently released Ironworks Cap of Gathering, which is restricted to "Disciples of the Land." I think the reason for the upset is that this piece, like most green or blue background items is restricted to one Discipline instead of multiple. You see, most Gathering gear is shared between Crafter and Gatherer. So you'll most commonly see "Disciple of the Land/Hand" just like you see "Disciple of War/Magic" together. However, these new pieces seem to be specific to just "Disciple of Land" and the crafter version is specific to "Disciple of the Hand" something that apparently invoked ire in this particular poster.

Again, it goes back to looking at what items are available to equip. If it says "Disciple of the Land" only gathering classes will be able to equip/glamour. It's a rather annoying restriction, I'll admit, but it's what we work with.

Also in that thread, another player brings up the Artisan Spectacles, a green item that when it first came out was restricted to Disciple of the Hand. It was since changed to be wearable by All Classes. The same may happen to other gear pieces in the future, but that's at the discretion of the devs.

Thank you for all your help. :lol:

I have leveled classes for more "dresses" for Ritsu. While an archer by trade, she is a bit of a girly girl too. You will see her in a mix of dresses or more rugged attire. So you might see me on different classes, but she isn't IC'ly those things.

I leveled up my Goldsmith 1-60 just to make a dress for a wedding I was attending >.>;;