New to roleplaying, need some help

Crazy

Hi everyone, very new to roleplaying but have always been interested in it. I am not new to FF14 though, having played up to the end of the vanilla games content and left off about halfway through heavensward. Coming back I decided I wanted to give rping a shot, however I've run into what appears to be a pretty big wall... Balmung.

I have tried staying up late, waking up early, just spamming the "reset" button on the world select screen and have had no luck with getting in. From what I have seen browsing this forum, its the only place anyone recommends new users to go and most simply recommend paying the $18 entry fee at the door(creating 8 characters and then doing it). 

I see that there are in fact other communities here in the linkshells section, but because no one seems to speak of them I do not know how active they are or if they would be welcome to someone that is very new to rp. 

Is there anyone here that can recommend a place other then Balmung that I could possibly go?

Also, I do have to apologize as I realize this question has most likely already been asked but the sites search section seems to be playing games with me and not liking any form of the question I type in.

Gilgamesh used to be the secondary RP server. I think its community has all but died, but you may find some remnants of it there. Otherwise, however, Balmung is sadly the server people typically recommend for RP for a reason.

Welcome, welcome, newbie!!!

*whispers* 'Hey guys... fresh meat for the sacrifice!'

We'll be happy to have you for dinner :D *liiiiiicks the newbie*

*screams behind her* 

"YO BISH! GET THE SACRIFICE ALTAR READY! RNGESUS NEEDS TO BE PLEASED!!"

Hi there!

While Balmung will certainly be the biggest, RP does exist on some of the other servers, albeit in smaller groups or not as "open-world".

Gilgamesh should still have some, but as that server is often marked full as well, you may have a better time getting into the couple of RP linkshells on Jenova or Siren if you're looking for not-Balmung groups.

Our Linkshell Hall (although it includes Free Company listing as well) is generally updated and pruned of inactive groups every two months. (It's been a little longer, but the next activity check is scheduled for end of June). There may be a group there that works for you, or can at least give you an idea of how RP works in the game!

Hi there!

While Balmung will certainly be the biggest, RP does exist on some of the other servers, albeit in smaller groups or not as "open-world".

Gilgamesh should still have some, but as that server is often marked full as well, you may have a better time getting into the couple of RP linkshells on Jenova or Siren if you're looking for not-Balmung groups.

Our Linkshell Hall (although it includes Free Company listing as well) is generally updated and pruned of inactive groups every two months. (It's been a little longer, but the next activity check is scheduled for end of June). There may be a group there that works for you, or can at least give you an idea of how RP works in the game!

Glad to hear that they are actually checked up on, which means that those groups should be active if they're on there. I will give those two a check, especially since I'm new so a smaller experience might be a little easier to get into. Thanks!

Hi there!

Glad to hear that they are actually checked up on, which means that those groups should be active if they're on there. I will give those two a check, especially since I'm new so a smaller experience might be a little easier to get into. Thanks!

ALso, you are STILL able to get onto Balmung and Gilgamesh! You just have to ask for transfer, and you should be able to get on with no issue! That's how my boyfriend got onto the server. ^_^

*screams behind her* 

:: shakes his head and laughed softly :: Play nice now, lass.... anywho welcome to the site, and from what I've seen as a server hopper, there's miniscule RP communities throughout the game, but it's REALLY hit and miss...I would say try Gilgamesh, Faerie, Brynhildr, or Exodus. If you're seeking community to talk in, then Shiva, Leviathen, or again, Gilgamesh due to their population. Other than that, yeah, you need to pay to transfer, cause it's worth it.

*screams behind her* 

:: shakes his head and laughed softly :: Play nice now, lass.... anywho welcome to the site, and from what I've seen as a server hopper, there's miniscule RP communities throughout the game, but it's REALLY hit and miss...I would say try Gilgamesh, Faerie, Brynhildr, or Exodus. If you're seeking community to talk in, then Shiva, Leviathen, or again, Gilgamesh due to their population. Other than that, yeah, you need to pay to transfer, cause it's worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give some of those and the others mentioned a shot and see what I get. I'm new to roleplaying so I'm going to see how if I can get a feel for it before making a jump.