Background Check - Doman Refugee

Hello everyone!

Recently, I've gotten around to RPing more with an alt of mine, a Au Ra Raen named Shino Senkatsu. I've generally enjoyed RPing as her more than my Lalafell Thaumaturge as of late, however, I've never had much of a concrete background for her well after I've started RPing as her.

I've had some loose concepts in mind but I've never RP'd her as much until very recently. The lack of a backstory for her would end up biting my butt and making things up as I go would end up very unpolished and confusing (A mistake that I've made early as I started RPing here, and to a lesser extent, Kukuna).

I've taken the time to write up a backstory for her, but I want to make sure that things check out lore-wise or is plausible.

Birth to Childhood (0-10):

Shino Senkatsu was born an only child in a quiet farming village within the nation of Doma. From a young age, she learned the importance of hard work and perseverance, helping out her father out in the fields when she was deemed old enough. Her farm produced rice, radish, soy beans, barley, wheat, and various other crops for the villagers to eat and trade. Her farm also raised horses and chickens.

On occasion, outsiders from various parts of the continent would visit their small village on the way towards the heart of Doma. It was in this situation that Shino encountered a Garlemald merchant traveling on a Chocobo-drawn carriage. As this would be the very first time Shino saw a Chocobo, along with their rarity, she grew curious and got close, poking and prodding away. The Chocobo grew increasingly skittish at the green child. However, once Shino started plucking feathers off the bird to keep as a souvenir, the Chocobo panicked and attacked Shino, trampling and pecking at her until the merchant and villagers managed to pull her away. Since then, Shino has always had a fear of Chocobos and was distressed to find so many within Eorzea.

Late Childhood – Teen years (10 – 18):

One day, whilst Shino was tending to the fields, a thief ran past their fences to steal several crops. More angered than afraid, she confronted the thief head on but Shino was quickly subdued. A passerby witnessed the thief’s actions and swiftly brought him low. This passerby would be the leader of the local village militia and Shino’s master: Aki Hisamatsu. Admiring the girl’s courage to confront the thief head on, she offered to teach Shino to better defend herself. Thus, began many years of training, discipline, and education under the tutelage of Aki. It turned out that Shino had a knack within the martial arts and she enjoyed it greatly.

Years and seasons passed and Shino pledged herself to the small village militia, believing she would be able to use her strength to defend the village she called home in addition to her farmhand duties.

Adult Years (18-24):

By the time Shino became an adult, tensions between Doma and Garlemald were already growing. Sensing a chance to be able to rebel thanks to the events ongoing in Eorzea, the Doman people began to organize a revolt. Aki and a couple of her militia members pledged themselves to the revolt whilst Shino stayed behind to tend to her family’s farm and watch over the village whilst Aki was away. Soon enough, the opportunity came and the revolt has begun. Doman resistance fighters appear to be gaining the upper hand, however, the betrayal of the Shinobi would squash the rebellion with Aki’s fate completely unknown to Shino. As punishment, Garlean soldiers began to burn various villages to the ground, including its capital.

When soldiers arrived at Shino’s village to place them to the torch, she and several militiamen moved to resist against them. However, Shino and the rest of the village militia were no match for the might of the Garlean Empire. The militia was quickly stamped out and her village and farm was put to the torch. Those who did not resist were captured and taken away whilst those that did were immediately killed. Shino’s parents urged for her to escape, for staying meant certain death for her. She managed to make it out to the outskirts, running away whilst her home burned behind her.

Shortly after, several people whom also rebelled against Garlemald ran into Shino. They took her with them and led her to a ferry that would lead out of Doma and into Eorzea. Sensing that she has no place else to go, she decided to travel to a new land as a refugee. She arrived at Vesper Bay with a strange mix of emotions swirling within her heart. The loss of her home, family, friends, and master within a short span of time nearly overwhelmed her. However, it was her hope that her family, fellow villagers, and her master were still alive.

Things to note:

It was in this situation that Shino encountered a Garlemald merchant travelling on a Chocobo-drawn carriage. As this would be the very first time Shino saw a Chocobo, along with their rarity, she grew curious and got close, poking and prodding away. The Chocobo grew increasingly skittish at the green child. However, once Shino started plucking feathers off the bird to keep as a souvenir, the Chocobo panicked and attacked Shino, trampling and pecking at her until the merchant and villagers managed to pull her away. Since then, Shino has always had a fear of Chocobos and was distressed to find so many within Eorzea.

I realize that Chocobos are not native to Doma. However, with Doma being under the control of the Garlean Empire at the time, along with their contact/conflict with Eorzea, it's sounds plausible that the Empire would have obtained Chocobos either from Eorzean merchants that care more about profit, or those who were taken away by the Empire themselves for commercial/personal use.

Or is it not plausible?

Now then, this Garlean merchant.

While Doma is indeed under the control of the Empire, we have no idea what it's like to be a country under their control (yet). I know that The Empire would conscript some from territories that they've taken into military service, however I would think that the common everyday people can still go on with their day to day lives. Possibly even trade within the Empire. Of course, maybe that's too optimistic of an outlook.

Another point of contention would probably be the Doman conflict itself. All I (really) know of the conflict is that people rose up and rebelled after being empowered by the fact that Eorzea was able to resist the Empire for so long. They ended up losing because some Shinobi double crossed their own people in order to spare their villages. Doma burned for it and thus, Eorzea saw a massive flock of Domans and Au Ra taking refuge within. Is this more or less right or am I forgetting something?

I'm sure there are more inconsistencies within her backstory that I've glossed over or not explained enough but I just want to make sure everything checks out and have those inconsistencies addressed.

(Ooof...this ended up bigger than I thought)

I can't comment on everything, but I can correct one point: Doma rebelled against the empire because the current emperor had just died, making them think they had a chance with a surprise attack while the Empire was dealing with a succession crisis. It failed and Doma was razed for their trouble.

Edit: I guess I can also add the Chocobos are only native to Eorzea. It's not impossible that some could have been imported into the empire before trade relations were dissolved, but I doubt something like a rare steed would be used as a beast of burden by a travelling merchant.

I guess I can also add the Chocobos are only native to Eorzea. It's not impossible that some could have been imported into the empire before trade relations were dissolved, but I doubt something like a rare steed wouldn't be used as a beast of burden by a travelling merchant.

Yeah - for Doma, and Othard in general I assume, you're looking at horses. All the Domans in MSQ call chocobos "horsebirds" and complain about how bad they smell.

I'm assuming that chocobos are also known and maybe even used before the appearance of Magitek by Garleans. I don't think it's a hazard that their Reapers are directly modeled after them.

( okay granted, it's a FF6 rip off and all, but still )

We know only scarse info on how Garleans actually rule their conquered nations, but what we do know is that the more those nations get confrontational with their invader, the harsher the garleans will be in return. Most of the nations surrounding the Garlean Republic in Ilsabard were either conquered by force, or some joined willingly. We know absolutely nothing on them, but they seem to have been left mostly alone as long as they participate to garlean society (conscripts that have to do a certain amount of years of service before becoming true citizens, otherwise they are treated like shit). They keep appointing their own governors and leaders, and keep most of their way of life however.

But in the case of difficult cities like Ala-Migho that continue to rebel and run guerrilla against the empire, and Doma that outwardly revolted massively, it's a whole different story. The former are living under an iron rule and harsh curfews and rules, and the latter got burned to the ground, razed out of the map.

I guess I can also add the Chocobos are only native to Eorzea. It's not impossible that some could have been imported into the empire before trade relations were dissolved, but I doubt something like a rare steed wouldn't be used as a beast of burden by a travelling merchant.

Yeah - for Doma, and Othard in general I assume, you're looking at horses. All the Domans in MSQ call chocobos "horsebirds" and complain about how bad they smell.

Alrighty, I'll consider removing that little portion. The only reason I included that little snippet with the chocobo was because I RP'd Shino having a fear of Chocobos beforehand, to the point where she vehemently refuses to go near any of them. (Another point where RPing before having a background figured out biting me yet again).

I'll probably figure something else out relating to that (Either dropping that trait or just make her dislike them by their smell)

I didn't realize that The previous Emperor's death was what triggered the rebellion, so I'll adjust that too in the final draft

I'm assuming that chocobos are also known and maybe even used before the appearance of Magitek by Garleans. I don't think it's a hazard that their Reapers are directly modeled after them.

( okay granted, it's a FF6 rip off and all, but still )

We know only scarse info on how Garleans actually rule their conquered nations, but what we do know is that the more those nations get confrontational with their invader, the harsher the garleans will be in return. Most of the nations surrounding the Garlean Republic in Ilsabard were either conquered by force, or some joined willingly. We know absolutely nothing on them, but they seem to have been left mostly alone as long as they participate to garlean society (conscripts that have to do a certain amount of years of service before becoming true citizens, otherwise they are treated like shit). They keep appointing their own governors and leaders, and keep most of their way of life however.

But in the case of difficult cities like Ala-Migho that continue to rebel and run guerrilla against the empire, and Doma that outwardly revolted massively, it's a whole different story. The former are living under an iron rule and harsh curfews and rules, and the latter got burned to the ground, razed out of the map.

I see, chances are I'll keep stuff like that vauge (How Domans were treated/specifics on their way of life under Garlean rule) down the line just in case Square elaborates more on the on-goings of Empire controlled nations (Hopefully in 4.0).

Thank you guys for the input!

I realize that Chocobos are not native to Doma. However, with Doma being under the control of the Garlean Empire at the time, along with their contact/conflict with Eorzea, it's sounds plausible that the Empire would have obtained Chocobos either from Eorzean merchants that care more about profit, or those who were taken away by the Empire themselves for commercial/personal use. Or is it not plausible?

Unfortunately highly unlikely. During the time period when Eorzea still actively traded with Garlemald the Holy See of Ishgard did not export their chocobos, even to their allies. Chocobos were so rare outside the Holy See that it was predicted to be 1:1000 chocobos to people ratio. Even after the reformation of the Grand Companies following Eorzea's official declaration of war against the Empire, Ishgard only exported male chocobos to the Grand Companies so that there wasn't the possibility of breeding outside the See.

This has obviously changed since the Calamity, as some Ishgardian breeders have started Gridanian and Ul'dahn breeding programs, but now Garlemald lacks Eorzean trade partners and would have to claim chocobos by force through incursions deep into Alliance territory. That assumes that the peoples outside of Eorzea even want to use chocobos when they have horses already and most Far Easterners claim the chocobo's smell is unbearable.

Owing to its ideal natural environment' date=' the Holy See of Ishgard has long been Eorzea’s foremost producer of fine chocobos. Decades ago, however, the city-state began imposing harsh restrictions on exports, quoting a dwindling chocobo population. This led to a steep decline in the number of the birds across the continent, which was said to have plunged to as low as one to every fifty-score folk, giving rise to the fear that chocobos would vanish from the face of Eorzea entirely.[/quote']

More lore on chocobos can be found here!

While Doma is indeed under the control of the Empire, we have no idea what it's like to be a country under their control (yet). I know that The Empire would conscript some from territories that they've taken into military service, however I would think that the common everyday people can still go on with their day to day lives. Possibly even trade within the Empire. Of course, maybe that's too optimistic of an outlook.

We do have lore that says when Garlemald takes over a territory, they only replace the governing head with a "chancellor" of their own, but that the day to day for that nation remains the same. Only nations who resist the Empire receive harsh treatments, like the Ala Mhigans. Though, according to Yugiri the Garleans treated the Domans harshly, which suggests that the city-state may have put up sufficient resistance to Garlemald during the initial invasion 25-30 years ago.

They basically go and take over a bunch of countries' date=' but they don't destroy the nations when they go and take them over. They kill the leaders and then let the nations remain as they are, because they realize that's a better way to have them remain loyal to the Garleans and not have an uprising.[/quote']

For many years' date=' my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.[/quote']

More lore on Garlemald and the practices of the Garlean Empire can be found here!

Another point of contention would probably be the Doman conflict itself. All I (really) know of the conflict is that people rose up and rebelled after being empowered by the fact that Eorzea was able to resist the Empire for so long. They ended up losing because some Shinobi double crossed their own people in order to spare their villages. Doma burned for it and thus, Eorzea saw a massive flock of Domans and Au Ra taking refuge within. Is this more or less right or am I forgetting something?

Jana already answered this, but Doma's rebellion was specifically timed following the death of the First Emperor of Garlemald, Solus zos Galvus. They hoped that in the ensuing chaos of the war of succession, Garlemald's forces would be distracted. They were not, as evidenced in Yugiri's quote above.

More lore on Doma can be found here!

Hope this helps! ^^

I realize that Chocobos are not native to Doma. However, with Doma being under the control of the Garlean Empire at the time, along with their contact/conflict with Eorzea, it's sounds plausible that the Empire would have obtained Chocobos either from Eorzean merchants that care more about profit, or those who were taken away by the Empire themselves for commercial/personal use. Or is it not plausible?

Unfortunately highly unlikely. During the time period when Eorzea still actively traded with Garlemald the Holy See of Ishgard did not export their chocobos, even to their allies. Chocobos were so rare outside the Holy See that it was predicted to be 1:1000 chocobos to people ratio. Even after the reformation of the Grand Companies following Eorzea's official declaration of war against the Empire, Ishgard only exported male chocobos to the Grand Companies so that there wasn't the possibility of breeding outside the See.

This has obviously changed since the Calamity, as some Ishgardian breeders have started Gridanian and Ul'dahn breeding programs, but now Garlemald lacks Eorzean trade partners and would have to claim chocobos by force through incursions deep into Alliance territory. That assumes that the peoples outside of Eorzea even want to use chocobos when they have horses already and most Far Easterners claim the chocobo's smell is unbearable.

Owing to its ideal natural environment, the Holy See of Ishgard has long been Eorzea’s foremost producer of fine chocobos. Decades ago, however, the city-state began imposing harsh restrictions on exports, quoting a dwindling chocobo population. This led to a steep decline in the number of the birds across the continent, which was said to have plunged to as low as one to every fifty-score folk, giving rise to the fear that chocobos would vanish from the face of Eorzea entirely.

More lore on chocobos can be found here!

We do have lore that says when Garlemald takes over a territory, they only replace the governing head with a "chancellor" of their own, but that the day to day for that nation remains the same. Only nations who resist the Empire receive harsh treatments, like the Ala Mhigans. Though, according to Yugiri the Garleans treated the Domans harshly, which suggests that the city-state may have put up sufficient resistance to Garlemald during the initial invasion 25-30 years ago.

They basically go and take over a bunch of countries, but they don't destroy the nations when they go and take them over. They kill the leaders and then let the nations remain as they are, because they realize that's a better way to have them remain loyal to the Garleans and not have an uprising.

For many years, my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.

More lore on Garlemald and the practices of the Garlean Empire can be found here!

Jana already answered this, but Doma's rebellion was specifically timed following the death of the First Emperor of Garlemald, Solus zos Galvus. They hoped that in the ensuing chaos of the war of succession, Garlemald's forces would be distracted. They were not, as evidenced in Yugiri's quote above.

More lore on Doma can be found here!

Hope this helps! ^^

Lore-senpai noticed me.

Thank you for the information! Definitely changing that Chocobo aspect now.