Help On Character?

It's basically just striking up a conversation with someone, but you speak as though you were your character instead of yourself irl. You can use /em to make your own custom emotes, which adds a lot to the scene. Example:

/em stuck his fingers in his ears. He looked over at Frank and spoke loud enough to be heard over the music. "You actually like this stuff?"

To find RP, I would suggest taking a look at the calendar (top left of the forum's main page) for open RP events that are coming up.

I know the general idea on how to. Iv seen others in game RP a lot but i just dont know how to... i dunno start? xD I know maybe joining an Rp fc may make it possibly easier but not sure im looking to jump FC just yet. 

Dont you need a backstory on your character to Rp? 

Should i put on the Rp flag? I actually thought of doing this but was kinda to nervous to xD

So... It might be good to have an idea of what your character is, what is the concept behind, and also how does that tie to the lore maybe?

Looking at your pic, you seem to play a lalafell? Maybe you can already dive a bit in lalafell lore? Will your character be a dunefolk, or plainfolk? Is he a literal part of their traditions and customs? Does he live in Uld'ah, or elsewhere? Or has he totally strayed from his background and wanders around?

As for the concept, it's a archetype (or several) that you are looking for, really. Nothing more. Tropes, basically. Is your character a dashing rogue? A shrinking violet? A tsundere? A pirate scared of blood? A stuck up archaeologist? Whatever you fancy! There is virtually no limit here. And that's where you literally flesh out your character 3 dimensionally (hint: use strong keywords to serve as pillars to define his personality and traits, 3 to 5-6 max). 

For example my character is defined around -Quirky, Nosy, Crafty, Scatterbrain, Punk, Self-driven (want to look cool and be cool). Those words are the literal basis around which you will weave everything else. They are also your failsafe when you are actually RPing, the cement you can always go back to refer to if you are lost on how your character would react.

Once you have done that, how does your character personality tie with his background story? How does his past explain his personality traits? Or the other way around?

( I'm not exactly exhaustive here so if you have questions or anything, don't hesitate to tell me to elaborate on things )

So... It might be good to have an idea of what your character is, what is the concept behind, and also how does that tie to the lore maybe?

Looking at your pic, you seem to play a lalafell? Maybe you can already dive a bit in lalafell lore? Will your character be a dunefolk, or plainfolk? Is he a literal part of their traditions and customs? Does he live in Uld'ah, or elsewhere? Or has he totally strayed from his background and wanders around?

As for the concept, it's a archetype (or several) that you are looking for, really. Nothing more. Tropes, basically. Is your character a dashing rogue? A shrinking violet? A tsundere? A pirate scared of blood? A stuck up archaeologist? Whatever you fancy! There is virtually no limit here. And that's where you literally flesh out your character 3 dimensionally (hint: use strong keywords to serve as pillars to define his personality and traits, 3 to 5-6 max). 

For example my character is defined around -Quirky, Nosy, Crafty, Scatterbrain, Punk, Self-driven (want to look cool and be cool). Those words are the literal basis around which you will weave everything else. They are also your failsafe when you are actually RPing, the cement you can always go back to refer to if you are lost on how your character would react.

Once you have done that, how does your character personality tie with his background story? How does his past explain his personality traits? Or the other way around?

( I'm not exactly exhaustive here so if you have questions or anything, don't hesitate to tell me to elaborate on things )

My character is a Plainsfolk lalafell. Lives in the Mists(Would that work since i have a house there?). I know my characters name isnt fallowing the naming that is lore wise for lalas, how would that work? I like my name so definatly not going to change it id want to make it work xD 

I like the Maelstrom GC, maybe a part of that? 

Personality, umm maybe blunt/to the point? I kinda like to think shed end up saying something that would be the truth but maybe it not end up being in the nicest way. And not really relizing it till later or at all. 

Im not very good at being super detailed... 

There is plenty of lalafells in Limsa, so yes! If she is in the Mists, that means she is an adventurer (which is a profession, and indicates a certain status: money or potential money, freedom...).

A lot of people don't necessarily use their nameplate as their true names. Myself tried to follow the naming convention when I created my character, but after a few months I grew unsatisfied with it and tried to twist it into something way more like I envisioned it lore wise. With that in mind, you can definitely say that your non lalafellin name is a handle of sorts. Maybe given to her by buddies from the Maelstrom? It might be the source of an interesting story actually: where and why did they give her that nickname? What is the meaning behind? Does your character likes it, or hates it? Or maybe she hates her real name?

If it's Julius Maximus, then it definitely sounds like a garlean name, slightly distorted since it lacks the last name particle (Like, Julius zos Maximus, etc). Could it be a mockery? Or just say that your nameplate is totally out of character and your character gives her real name to people she meets? Either way is fine, but the good thing with nicknames is that you can have the best of both worlds: you keep your handle and incorporate it into the story of your character, and you also get to find a nice lore friendly lalafell name. 

I can also totally see someone being blunt, even unconsciously, being part of the maelstrom. It meshes well with it, since, you know, pirates and stuff, skulls and crossbones and all that.

Also, quick note on lore: if your character is an adventurer (since she lives in the Mist), then she isn't properly part of the Maelstrom, but like any adventurers, can definitely work for them on a daily basis. There is also the road where you say that your character actually lives in Limsa or whatever fancies you, and your Mist house is just used as a placeholder for that. Or maybe it's just OOC.  As I said, there is not a lot of limits on what you can find around that.

Have you already thought about what your character is a bout? Maybe a bit of background?

I started out RP'ing in this game about three years ago. I started out pretty bare bones on my main. What was she - Archer. What is her personality - Cold, but very polite. She acts very noble. And did a bit of background on her as I fleshed her out more, which I kept building.

RP FC's def help get it going. Particularly ones that hold events and what not.

And that is what I get for starting to answer this and get distracted - more post happen.

Anyways all plausible. And as stated above - can give her an IC name or have a reason for it. My name isn't lore friendly as I started just OOC play. But gave her IC reasoning for it. (She has a very eccentric mother to say the least.) As far as personality - go for it. Just realize that people will respond as they will respond IC wise. My own while polite - tends to come off cold. Which..some people have said she is difficult to get on with.

Hmm im not sure ill do the different name than name plate. I actully really like my name, but i could shorten it to Juli. Most call me that any way xD I know Julius is more of a male name but i still really like it.

Why cant one live in the Mist houses and be part of the Maelstorm? 

Not sure on the background, i main AST so wouldn't mind that being part of it.

Hmm im not sure ill do the different name than name plate. I actully really like my name, but i could shorten it to Juli. Most call me that any way xD I know Julius is more of a male name but i still really like it.

Why cant one live in the Mist houses and be part of the Maelstorm? 

Not sure on the background, i main AST so wouldn't mind that being part of it.

Because as stated by the quests that lead you to unlock access to the Mist, the Goblet and the Lavender Beds, those are brand new districts exclusively open for adventurers to establish themselves. They are quite luxurious compared to anything commoners could afford.

While adventurers can't exactly be PART of a Grand Company, they can certainly work for them with their adventurer status, which is... kinda similar. It's just that they don't have, you know, daily shifts and a full military service to the Grand Company. The GC just calls them when something important requires their presence.