Can two different races be related?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if two races such as Au Ra/Hyur, Hyur/Lalafell, Roe/Mi'quote, Au Ra/Mi'quote, etc could be some how related to each other? I'm not talking about blood relation but like an adopted siblings.

I've got this idea in my head that references my main who at the time was a hyur and she had a younger sibling, an Au Ra, who was adopted. My main has passed on (pretending she passed during the calamity) her younger sister who turns 18 (as that is what age she looks like) decides to leave her island home (where her elder sister, Tsubasa had instructed that her younger sister be sent to be safe and as far away from the fighting as she can) to go to the land where her sister had fought her final battle, to discover her destiny as a novice adventurer. Both of her parents are dead and it had been Tsubasa and my Au Ra living in the starting city I decide on, both heirs to a large fortune thanks to their families' weaver/goldsmithing business, but with Tsubasa now passed, it is time for her younger sister to take center stage.

That is all I've gotten so far. I'm trying to focus more on the character, not the classes/items that awaken her powers like before.

Also, for starting to write again, would it be easier to do a hyur younger sibling and have an Auri Elder sister, or would it be better to go Au Ra younger sibling and Hyur Elder sister like I originally planned OR keep both siblings the same race?

I'm really trying to stay in the lore, I've discovered that I DO have some RPers on Faerie and I want to be able to RP properly with them, as well as write my alt's story in Fanfiction form.

Thank you for answering my questions! (I hope I make sense, I wanted to post this before my nighttime medicine kicked in. ><;)

Well, it is definitely possible to have an adopted sister, though there's some kinks with the business of it being an Au Ra that you might want to look into so as to explain things better. Mainly this would be why/how/when they'd have escaped their homeland Doma/Othard. To clarify, Hyur and Au Ra come from two different places in the world, and the Au Ra have since about the point of Heavensward happening been fleeing en mass to get away from the Garleans. Whilst there may have been a few that got to Eorzea before this mass migration, it's my understanding that it wasn't a great amount and so they may have been subject to a healthy dose of "We don't like strangers and also you look like a dragon/demon" judgement from strangers. Heck, that might also have happened coming with the mass migration, but it'd definitely have been worse to be the odd one out so to speak. It's also worth noting that the Au Ra have their own language(s). 

For the other races, it's a well known thing that people take in/adopt children of other races, as there may be reasons the child have been shunned by their own culture. For example miqo'te children of mixed clan (Seeker/Keeper-mix) may be abandoned because it's traditionally frowned upon.

The Xaela emigrated in 3 migratory waves over the course of a decade or so, if I remember correctly, but in numbers only recently, when the Raen coming from Doma also fled the destruction of their city by Garlemald, not even one year ago.

It is definitely possible for an Au'ra to have emigrated way sooner though, even a Raen. It just implies a hetfy dose of "what the fuck are you" from Eorzeans. They probably would have created a lot of waves and attracted attention everywhere they went, unless they tried to hide their appearance (like Yugiri did more recently when she arrived in Eorzea).

As for the question, yes, blood relations are possible between different races, or at least as far as we know, between Elezen and Hyur, at least on a single generation. So, adoption is of course possible too. We actually have several examples in the lore, like Minfillia's adopted mother, F'laminn, who is a Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun. 

We also know that while eorzeans aren't especially homophobic or what you have, and prove to be a rather open/liberal society, they can be rather racism and xenophobic though. People keep to their own, and other races are most of the time seen with distrust or even disdain/disgust depending on the place you live in. For example, Keepers of the Moon in Gridania are seen as poaching savages by snazzy Wildwoods, etc. Relations with someone from another race is often seen as deviancy or perversion. Not by everyone of course, mind you, but it tends to be the general shunning such people are subject to.

The MSQ seemed to portray a lot more inter racial help and support on the side of Yugiri and her doman refugees (au'ra and hyur), for whom racial concerns are probably the least of their worries.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if two races such as Au Ra/Hyur, Hyur/Lalafell, Roe/Mi'quote, Au Ra/Mi'quote, etc could be some how related to each other? I'm not talking about blood relation but like an adopted siblings.

The situation between what you're portraying and what I do might be different, but the concept is the same. Aoi is a Raen that was adopted into a hyur family. Later that family had a hyur daughter, Yuki. They are sisters now, and consider one another sisters. Only main difference I see is that they aren't both Doman, or from Othard, in what you wrote.

What gives my story credence is that raen's and hyurs did live together in some areas so it makes it a possibility. This isn't to say it's not possible for yourself as you've seen others write. It's entirely possible to have an adoptive sibling of any race.

What gives my story credence is that raen's and hyurs did live together in some areas so it makes it a possibility. This isn't to say it's not possible for yourself as you've seen others write. It's entirely possible to have an adoptive sibling of any race.

This is the point I was going to bring up. Both Hyur and Raen lived in Doma. So, it isn't unfeasible that a Doman Hyur family could've adopted a Raen. Or an Auri family a Hyur child. There is the racism and xenophobia inherent on Hydaelyn, but being from the same nation (Doma, in this case) could help "alleviate" those concerns some.

And this can work for other situations as well if you finagle it enough. Chachan is currently dating a Miqo'te girl who was adopted by a family of Highlanders - the two families had become friends, so they took her in when disaster struck for the girl's actual parents.

It should also be noted that most of the racism and whatnot seems to be about inter-species relationships. Adopting one of another race and raising them isn't quite as touched on. Keep in mind that Minfilia was more or less raised by a Miqo'te herself after the incidents brought up in 1.0.