Roleplaying a Paladin (Help, please)

Hello all, I'm actually a Veteran FF14 member (Legacy), but I just recently picked the game back up and wanted to roleplay my level 50 Paladin on Balmung. 

I really just don't know how one would go about roleplaying a Paladin with the current lore, but I would prefer to not break the lore if possible. I want to roleplay an experienced, and capable Paladin but not the main hero. More of like a stoic character who may have some wisdom to share, and is loyal to a fault but simultaneously set in his ways (due to his paladinhood and age). Below is the appearance of my character currently. I am open to background and playstyle suggestions/advice! Thank you!

ff14elhart.png

I don't recall all the Paladin lore information off the top of my head - there's probably a Sounsyy post somewhere that provides far more enlightenment than I could ever provide - but I'll try to provide some general tidbits.

There are currently two "types" of Paladin that are known. The first and most recognizable are the Sultansworn, they are the Paladin order that basically serves as the Secret Service/Special Agents for the Sultanate of Ul'dah. They serve as her most elite guards and also safeguard a number of artifacts and secrets. Playing as one shouldn't have too many difficulties, age or no, considering Papashan is a well-recognized Lalafellan Sultansworn who is getting on in years.

The second is a slightly more recent concept: the Free Paladin. These are basically Paladins who are not tied to the Sultanate. They go out and about, using their abilities in accordance to their own codes and whatnot. The Job Quests, as you may recall, result in the WoL becoming one of these. If you want a bit less political turmoil and more freedom of movement from a literary standpoint, you'd probably want to be a Free Paladin. Even if it's a newer idea, there's nothing keeping an older Sultansworn from deciding his abilities are of greater use elsewhere and embarking on this path.

I'd provide some more information, but you character concept is pretty threadbare beyond "old and a Paladin." Do you have any ideas for what kind of story you want for him? Where he might be from? Or even just the kinds of characters you enjoy playing most so we can see about helping you creating a Paladin you'll enjoy RPing as.

All Paladins are trained by the Order of the Sultansworn at some point. Their fighting style and tenants are what makes a Paladin. They are the ones who bestow the title. It used to be a closely guarded secret until they were faced with dwindling numbers and the fear that their knowledge would die out. So now they train Free Paladins who do not have to swear fealty to the Sultanate.

From a role-play standpoint, you could be either one with little difficulty. The only difference is political alignment.

Here is a link to a prior thread with more info than you'll ever need:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8358

Thank you, ladies and gents! I can see the merits of playing both a traditional sultansworn and a free paladin, but I think I want to play a free paladin after weighing the two over in my head.

Now I'm not new to roleplay, just new to roleplay in ff14. I'm also not nearly as comfortable with the lore as I am with say, LOTR or Forgotten Realms D&D.

If possible perhaps I can give you more information of what kind of character I want to play and you can simply help me fit the pieces into the puzzle without anything not fitting correctly.

Now I am open to paying $ to change his name if it is too glaringly odd for a native Ul'dah or Highlander, for that matter. I don't imagine this will be of any concern given that it's not something silly, but I can be a bit OCD as a role player if there are certain naming conventions that should generally be adhered to.

More importantly, Elhart would have been born in Ul'dah, and having been around during much of the conflict that still rages on today he would likely have served in the Immortal Flames for a time. This may be cliche, but I'm okay with a little bit of generic background since his personality and future goals whatever they may be will help set him apart more-so than his past. After his service in the Flames, to which he reached some respectable rank he would have either sought out or been chosen by the Sultansworn to undergo their trial(s). I don't know the details of this process, but I am assuming whether he sought them out or they sought him out it would be as a result of his ability, honor and loyalty to Ul'dah and the Crown or somesuch.

I'm not exactly sure why he would have left the Sultansworn to become a Free Paladin, but I do remember the NPC doing it in the Job questline as a result of that sacred sword being stolen (I believe). My character alternatively could have simply felt there was something bigger than Ul'dah and the Crown, that Eorzea itself was in need of a proverbial Sultansworn. I'm open to suggestions here because motivation might require a bit more understanding of the lore.

Elhart's personality is one of a wise protector. He is kind, and apt to offer advice to those who seem in need. He values honor and finds shortsightedness both reckless and annoying. All and all he has a booming voice and a full laugh for those times when it's appropriate to relax after a hard-fought battle, or when just trying to live a normal life in spite of the world's troubles. He sees himself as a gaurdian of the commonfolk of Eorzea wherever he wanders (assuming he will be a Free Paladin), and so whether its talking, laughing or even some drinking he does his part to put them at ease. He sympathizes with their plight, and has sworn an oath to himself to ensure that they can go on living their lives as peacefully as possible. Okay, so that's the gist of it anyway. If there are anymore questions I am more than happy to continue explaining and fleshing things out. 

Thanks again for the help!

I don't recall all the Paladin lore information off the top of my head - there's probably a Sounsyy post somewhere that provides far more enlightenment than I could ever provide - but I'll try to provide some general tidbits.

-Paladin Lore Book

-Paladin & Sultansworn Lore

The text on the second link got a little wonky towards the bottom with a quoted post showing up, but there's a good bit of lore there to help you out. ^^

EDIT: Read your last post and wanted to add in that the Immortal Flames has only existed since a few months before the Calamity roughly five to six years ago now. So any military service in his history would've come from any number of Ul'dah's paid mercenary armies. I'll throw in another lore post covering a brief history of Ul'dah's settlements over the last 30 years.

- Eorzean Settlements History and Lore

-Paladin Lore Book

The text on the second link got a little wonky towards the bottom with a quoted post showing up, but there's a good bit of lore there to help you out. ^^

EDIT: Thank you for the additional info! Im going to read up on all of this asap. Finishing my halloween costume at the moment! I'm going as Robinhood, from RH: Men in Tights :P

Thank you!

-Paladin Lore Book

EDIT: Thank you for the additional info! Im going to read up on all of this asap. Finishing my halloween costume at the moment! I'm going as Robinhood, from RH: Men in Tights :P

Thank you!

So, given that my character is an older man (I would say at least 50-60 years old, assuming the average lifespan is 80-100), and given that he is a native of Ul'dah (Or at least Thanalan) what are some key events he might have lived through? Is there anything that might have shaped him, and how is the Calamity rped exactly?

how is the Calamity rped exactly?

Watch the ARR opening cinematic.

The two most popular ways:

1.) See all those normal people standing around the cities watching death rain down from above? Be one of them.

2.) See all of those soldiers running for their lives as Bahamut breaks free? Be one of them.

how is the Calamity rped exactly?

Watch the ARR opening cinematic.

The two most popular ways:

1.) See all those normal people standing around the cities watching death rain down from above?  Be one of them.

2.) See all of those soldiers running for their lives as Bahamut breaks free?  Be one of them.

Okay, thank you. I remember the cinematic, and that helps me understand where my character may have been.