fork in the road

Kallera

My character is in a fork in the road regarding which job to take. While she is doing that, I do have an issue as how to rp going forward.

Dark Knight or Pugilist.

While I know they are only occupations and not the full character themselves, surely it means some changes

, particulary since drk looks for emotional control that pug does not, but are there changes on the level of preparation and how to approach a fight, too? Since this is the difference between a tank and a dd class. am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Hello Kallera!  I would not worry too much about synching a job to your RP unless you really want to (for whatever reasons you may have).  There's certainly no necessary relationship between in-game character classes, and the RP of the character (though people do generally level a class that is related to their RP if any are appropriate :) )

So I would think more about what sort of character you would like to roleplay as its own question.

Also, why do you "have" to be one or the other? Is it really an either/or situation here? Or are you constraining yourself to game mechanics?

Think about it from a story perspective more than a game one. As a fighter, no matter what type, wouldn't it be a good idea to know how to throw a punch? And lots of martial arts also include fighting with weapons. So, there's not too much of a stretch to believe that someone could know how to both swing a big ol' sword and throw a good punch or kick if needed (such as when they're disarmed, perhaps? Or caught without their weapon?).

Heck, if you need a mechanical link... isn't DRK's... Low Blow or whatever it's called a kick to the gut? Pugilism! In an RP fight, you could block a blow with your blade and then, in that brief window, let go with one hand to sock the other guy in the jaw!

In RP, there really isn't a set "tank/dps/healer" meta. That's basically a game constraint and mechanic for the PvE/PvP side of things. If you're just roleplaying, then there's no real reason to confine yourself to one of those roles. Just as long as you can explain why your character can do those things - and, as I mentioned, a fighting person knowing how to throw a punch is certainly one of the least outlandish ideas I've seen thrown about. :P

I'm personally in the camp that it isn't a great idea to ICly tie yourself to a Job like Dark Knight, Dragoon, Paladin, etc. unless you're wanting for it to be a central part of the character.

When you bind yourself to in-game Jobs (and classes, to a much lesser extent), and you also plan on making an effort to stay mostly true to the game's lore, you're shackling yourself to the will of the game developers and may end up in a situation similar to what a bunch of IC Dragoons ended up in shortly after the lore book came out.

So just because you want to wield a big sword doesn't mean you have to be Dark Knight, and just because you punch good doesn't mean you have to be a member of the Pugilist Guild. Heck, you can wield a big sword and punch good if you want, and still not be bound to any particular in-game Job.

Pretty much what Gegenji said. There's no reason those two disciplines have to be mutually exclusive - they aren't drawing from conflicting power sources, they don't both take a ridiculously long time to learn, neither is limited strictly by political affiliations. I don't see any reason why your character can't pursue both.

But - DRK - as in, soul crystal, I̷̴͢N̴̴͠҉̢N̵̛͜E̸͘͝R̀͡͝ ҉A͟͢B̸̶͢͞Y̶̨̢S̷҉̧S̷͏̴̸, etc - is kinda a big deal, and PGL is just "being good at punching stuff". This makes them easy to co-exist (it's not like it's two big deals competing for screen-time), but also means if you play DRK straight, it's likely to end up overshadowing your PGL class by quite a long way. Like Valen said, if it's just the greatsword you want - not a fundamental direction-change to the character and their development - there's no reason you can't do that without having all the extra stuff that comes with the DRK job as a whole. And like we all said, there's no reason that can't coexist peacefully with a PGL proficiency - maybe moreso than if you take up the entire DRK job, since it'll just be a character who's good at two types of fighting (maybe blending them together?).

But if it's the extra stuff that appeals to you... go for it imo. Just make sure you give it the time and effort it deserves - don't half-ass it, or it'll come out flat. Here's my transcription of everything about DRKs from the lore book. There's more lore scattered throughout the in-game quests, but I warn you to take everything in the 30 to 50 story with a grain of salt, and focus on the 51-60 and lore book information for objective truths about the job.