From one world to another

Menord

Hi everyone, and apologies for the long-winded introduction. I finally decided to give in to the temptation and see what FFXIV looks like in the eyes of a roleplayer, so hopefully this post will help me to get rid of some of the pre-transfer nervousness.

MMORPG background

I've tried quite a few MMORPGs during my gaming career, but most of my experience comes from playing World of Warcraft for over ten years. I made my account into Final Fantasy XIV approximately two years ago, but I haven't had the time (or the money) to play it actively until now. I feel very much like a complete newbie in the game.

RP experience

I've roleplayed more or less actively in WoW for approximately nine years and even lead a small RP guild (though with questionable success). In addition, I have been an on-off LARPer for over one decade and participated in a slowly-progressing D&D campaign for good many years.

How did I end up here?

Lately, I've been feeling a bit burned out by WoW and tempted to join a few Tumblr friends of mine on Balmung to see what roleplay is like there. I found this website by accident when I was googling some information about FFXIV roleplay, and I've been lurking here ever since.

RP style

If I had to classify myself, I guess I would fall into the medium roleplayer category. I like in-depth storylines and seeing characters grow, but I also have a soft spot for occasional silliness and even angst. My characters tend to be unstereotypical for their race or class and I've come up with a few "interesting" RP ideas in the past, but I enjoy studying the lore and otherwise immersing myself in the game world.

Character ideas

The only character I have so far is Cain Locke, a young Midlander who has a pretty face and is determined to prove his worth. I still need to read more about the lore for his backstory (I mean, I don't even know where he comes from), but he will probably be observant and witty and... not as tough as he'd probably like to seem. I'm currently levelling him as Thaumaturge and part of me wants to take Pugilist as his secondary class because a mage who punches things sounds amusing, but, er, we'll see what happens.

I will probably also create/transfer one or two alts if I can come up with interesting character concepts for them. I have a weakness for soft-spoken and/or overly serious male characters (my longest-time WoW RP character could be summarized as an insecure idealist), but a spunky female or something completely different could also be nice.

Real life information

I'm Finnish and work as a freelancer translator, and when I'm not playing games, I like to draw, write, drink tea or coffee and so forth. I also tend to make awkward puns and jokes which are apparently on par with Dad jokes.

I'll probably need a week or so to prepare my character(s) for the transfer, but hopefully I'll see you soon enough on Eorzea!

Hey there, and welcome aboard to the RPC officially and you impending move to Balmung! :thumbsup:

As someone else who came out of the realm of WoW on Moon Guard within the last 6 months? I think you're in for a treat, all told. In any case, if you're looking to get off to a running start, I'd suggest tossing up a Making Connections thread if you have some ideas on where you'd like to go in the long run with Cain or your other, future characters!

Thank you for the tip and the warm welcome! Coming from a small European RP server in WoW (The Sha'tar), I can definitely imagine that things will be quite different here, heh.

A thread in the Making Connections forum sounds like a good idea: I'll try to do that once I've given my characters a bit more thought. I also just noticed that there's a Wiki for this site as well, which is neat. I'm already quite excited. ^^

Hello and welcome to Balmung and the RPC! I think you will be quite happy with the RP community on FF as they are quite helpful and friendly compared to some other MMO's I have played. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea for a character that should fit into a lot of different situations. I would suggest starting with a making connections or checking out some of the events on the balmung event calendar.

Other than that if you have any questions or are looking for someone to RP with feel free to send me a PM or Tell.

Remember that you can transfer a full roster of characters in one go so you might as well do that just to save your future self some grief, I know I wished I had!

Oh yes, I will definitely make use of the option and transfer at least several character at the same time. I am terrible with alts, though, so a full roster would probably just leave me feeling bad for the character who collect dust. Then again, all the races look so pretty and/or intriguing...

Thanks again for all the tips and welcomes, people! Seems like there are a lot of events on the calendar, so once I'm in, I guess I could start by sneaking into one of the open events. I think I might make use of the Character Workshop soon, too, in case I struggle with filling all the blank spaces my character concepts.

I KNOW YOU!

Like, y'all... Menord has known me since I was a wee bairn. xD For at least the last 9 years, if not longer.

This familiar face of mine sometimes staffs Matron's Reach clinics on Monday nights:

1e29477148.png

Kall didn't quite make it to my Balmung shortlist, but I'm enjoying the characters I did bring, and I hope you find your place here like I did!! Feel free to send me a tell and/or friend RQ as soon as you transfer - my IGN is Aghurlal Qar-akimusun.