A girl called "Boy"

Boy

Hello everyone. :)

So i must admit that this introduction may be slightly overdue (yes, I've been totally creeping your forums here and there for a day or two *cue the thunder and lightening* muahahahaha! ) but i've been a bit apprehensive to throw my hat into the ring, so-to-speak, mostly due to my stark lack of knowledge of A: the game and it's lore. I've not gotten the chance to play the 1.0 version and am scrambling to catch up; and B: People. Everyone already seems so close-knit, with such well established characters and relationships that it's very intimidating for someone like me who is starting from square one.

On the plus side (HUGE plus), everyone also seems to be very well-versed and helpful to newbies such as myself which is the primary reason i decided to even attempt to join in. That, and the urging of my best friend and roomie who is already a member here. So here i am! yay! ^.^

A bit about my gaming history

I grew up playing video games. From when i was little i was super into comic books (X-men ftw!!) and video games. I loved fighting games like tekken and soul caliber as well as RPG games like Secret of Mana and Chronotrigger. I'm not as experienced with MMO's by any definition however. I've come to find that i'm very picky about MMO's for some reason. I've tried many of the big titles and a few smaller ones, but ended up quitting due to bad graphics, poor/limited character design, undesirable controls/interface, bad game support, the in-game community, or a combination of those examples.

I suppose the ones i stayed with for any significant length of time were WoW, Aion,Tera and GW2. In that order as well.

RP history

I wish my RP history was as extensive as my gaming history. I never played any sort of table top RP games, didnt' even know they existed until finding out about vintage D&D while playing WoW. Until then i thought that D&D had always been a video game. I know, I know. Dont' throw rocks at me. And the in-game RP experience i have is just a pitiful.

My first venture into the RP world happened while playing WoW, which was just awful. A friend who already played WoW as well as RP'd had told me about it and made it sound so great. And even now, the idea of RP in-game and RP in general is very attractive to me. But i haven't found any good RP since GW2 sadly. Well, Aion was also very good in the beginning. Aion is actually my favorite game ever as far as MMO's. I loved the lore, the graphics and char design, the storylines, the music, everything. But alas, that game has gone to pot and none of my friends play anymore. /shrug

I still play GW2 some, but mostly am sticking to my trusty xbox games until launch. I need RP xp like nobody's business! I am so hopeful with this community though, which is something i haven't had since Aion. I really hope this one lasts.

Ideas for my character

So after some sleuthing and gumshoe-ing (yea, that's totally a real word) wikis and forums and such I think I have a basic idea of who I want my first/main (probably only) character to be, but please keep in mind i have alot more lore homework to do. I know for sure I'm going to be playing as a Midlander Hyur female.

In a nut shell, she's going to be very tom-boyish and rugged. In fact, i'm hoping that the in-game armor for females isn't very skimpy or revealing or that there's at least some skins that are more masculine because she likes to dress as a male. She even binds her breasts down with linen bandages to give a flatter chest appearance.

She does this because when she was younger (she'll be approx. 17yrs old in-game) she joined a band of either pirates or thieves who mistook her for a boy, which she went along with for safety. She also has problems with equating femininity to weakness. Mostly due to her father and her childhood which i won't get into here.

So do you think there's room in Eorzea for such a character? Will i be stuck wearing a leather bikini or studded pasties and a thong whilst battling the big baddies and looting the high seas? I sincerly hope not. Or else it's back to that blasted drawing board.

Me

Although I've already given quite the little autobiography I suppose a little info about me in the present is relevant. Currently, I live on the west coast with my boyfriend, roomie/bestie Aulairet, and my two little dogs named Oliver and Bella (they're papillions *squee*). I go to makeup school in hopes of becoming a special fx makeup artist eventually. And I also love to read manga and collect BJD's. Those are ball-jointed dolls.. they scare me at night.. so yep, still a big ol' nerdy nerd nerd. Yay! ^-^

Alright! we made it! We're on the home stretch here. I just want to wrap this up with a big THANK YOU for reading and hello in advance to everyone!

Yo! Welcome to the RPC, glad you've come out of hiding~

FFXIV is a rarity in many MMOs in that, for the most part, armor from male to female is virtually the same. Most sets have normal coverage as well (minus harnesses and caotees : P). You should also be able to style your midlander hyur lady to look kind of boyish. There are a few hairstyles that lend themselves to it. Sounds like a solid start to me :>!

Welcome welcome! I have limited exp with RP as well, but I'm sure this game will be an excellent place to fall into groove with. Especially if it is with this kind and colorful group. I personally can't wait to try to mix it up with them!:D

Now if only my writer's block would go away for my character >.<.

Welcome! I was a little intimidated to join first, too, but this community is very helpful and I feel right at home with them now. 

On a side note: Your comic book comment caught my eye. I've been reading both Marvel and DC comics on a monthly basis since I was six years old (that'd be 1996.) As for X-Men, right now I'm following Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Wolverine, and Savage Wolverine. (I also follow Superior Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Batman, Justice League, The Avengers, and Captain America) Just thought I'd share that so you don't feel like an outsider.

Your character sounds interesting. I like this idea a lot. It's very Joan-of-Arc-meets-Pirates. On the RP experience note, a few of us don't have much RP experience. Personally, I have just enough to know what to do and what not to do. (My experience doesn't extend past Final Fantasy XI, LOTRO, and Champions Online, of which I RP'd for about a combined year. And Champions Online RP was virtually nothing but god-moding and meta-gaming. Every character did it with no exceptions. It sucked.) 

This is a long, drawn-out welcome, but that's not uncommon for me. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your stay in our wonderful little community, and I hope to RP with your character soon.

Welcome, I understand your need for RP, I've been rusty for quite a while, but very eager to jump back into it again. I haven't come across some decent RP for a while now, but none the less, I'm looking forward to all the future FFXIV RP that's going to happen, hopefully with a lot of cross-linkshell interaction. -squeeee- Sounds so exciting! :moogle:

Anyways, I apologize for the off track --- *gives cookie* Welcome again! :D

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

I looove the sound of your character! Reminds me of Faris from Final Fantasy V!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums and in-game come release!

Any questions, feel free to ask or take a look at the wiki! There's tons of valuable information piled in there.

Have fun! :)

I loved fighting games like tekken and soul caliber

Currently, I live on the west coast with my boyfriend, roomie/bestie

I also love to read manga and collect BJD's

WoW, Aion,Tera and GW2

This sounds a little too familiar. *standing up from his chair, the silver cross around his neck is clearly visible. He takes a small bow towards her*

Welcome to the group. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. My experience is mostly forum roleplay but I have gotten into in game-ish RP as of late.

Welcome to the RPC, dear!

I'm sure you know this by now, but in ARR breast sizes are customizable, so having a character with a smaller bust is a possibility. You can still see them, unfortunately, but they'll be less noticeable.

Welcomeeeeeeee

Sounds like your character would get along with Sienna Skye!

Thankies!! :D

I hope my character gets along with many other awesome ppl! ^^

Yo! Welcome to the RPC, glad you've come out of hiding~

FFXIV is a rarity in many MMOs in that, for the most part, armor from male to female is virtually the same. Most sets have normal coverage as well (minus harnesses and caotees : P). You should also be able to style your midlander hyur lady to look kind of boyish. There are a few hairstyles that lend themselves to it. Sounds like a solid start to me :>!

*whew* this is such news to hear! I just want some clothes that are actually clothes for her. She would SHANK ME prison style if I stuck her in a tiny harness or something so that's good :P 

plus I had to come out of hiding, ran out of ice coffee which forced me out into the light of day ;) lurrrrr durr   lol 

sorry it's still early and the coffee's not kicked in yet xD   O.o

Welcome welcome! I have limited exp with RP as well, but I'm sure this game will be an excellent place to fall into groove with. Especially if it is with this kind and colorful group. I personally can't wait to try to mix it up with them!:D

Now if only my writer's block would go away for my character >.<.

Yay! see, this is why I was brave enough to try. because I realized i'm not the only one who's just beginning. plus the vets are such helpful folk that it's really an ideal situation.

:thumbsup:

I thought I'd do a lil collage sum up of the gear types in XIV >.>

[spoil]YSAbxTS.jpg[/spoil]

There are a few skimpier outfits, but they are, by far, the minority.

OMG can u say helpful??! thank u sooo much! this really gives me an idea of what I can do with my character's look.  :chocobo::moogle:

hehe i'm having far too much fun with these little emote smilies :P :tonberry:

Welcome

Thank you ^^

Welcome! I was a little intimidated to join first, too, but this community is very helpful and I feel right at home with them now. 

On a side note: Your comic book comment caught my eye. I've been reading both Marvel and DC comics on a monthly basis since I was six years old (that'd be 1996.) As for X-Men, right now I'm following Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Wolverine, and Savage Wolverine. (I also follow Superior Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Batman, Justice League, The Avengers, and Captain America) Just thought I'd share that so you don't feel like an outsider.

Your character sounds interesting. I like this idea a lot. It's very Joan-of-Arc-meets-Pirates. On the RP experience note, a few of us don't have much RP experience. Personally, I have just enough to know what to do and what not to do. (My experience doesn't extend past Final Fantasy XI, LOTRO, and Champions Online, of which I RP'd for about a combined year. And Champions Online RP was virtually nothing but god-moding and meta-gaming. Every character did it with no exceptions. It sucked.) 

This is a long, drawn-out welcome, but that's not uncommon for me. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your stay in our wonderful little community, and I hope to RP with your character soon.

Thank you very much! I would really like to start reading comics again, but when I tried I found I had missed so much. Both in the comics as far as storylines and the business side as well. Their writers and such. I had no idea what is going on anymore. >.>  plus the butchering done to my beloved xmen by Hollywood really soured me to the whole title. Since my mid teens I've been much more into manga which isn't a bad thing per se, just different.

Give me classic age of apocalypse storylines anyday! and the dark phoenix saga is still the most touching love story I've ever read. I loved the Cyclops/jean grey/wolverine drama :P hehe

it's soo FUNNY that' u mention joan of ark, she was actually one of my inspirations! Well, milla jovovich as joan of ark in The Messenger which I recently saw again with Aulairet. turr hurr  ;)

Welcome! Nice to meet you!

You too! yay for nice people!! :thumbsup::bouncy::chocobo::love:

Welcome, I understand your need for RP, I've been rusty for quite a while, but very eager to jump back into it again. I haven't come across some decent RP for a while now, but none the less, I'm looking forward to all the future FFXIV RP that's going to happen, hopefully with a lot of cross-linkshell interaction. -squeeee- Sounds so exciting! :moogle:

Anyways, I apologize for the off track --- *gives cookie* Welcome again! :D

Cookies you say?? *takes gratefully and noms*

and I understand exactly what you mean, I haven't been hopeful about RP for along time it feels like.  very exciting!  :bouncy:

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

I looove the sound of your character! Reminds me of Faris from Final Fantasy V!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums and in-game come release!

Any questions, feel free to ask or take a look at the wiki! There's tons of valuable information piled in there.

Have fun! :)

hehe d'awww so adorable :P  sorry I can't help it! im powerless against lalafell cuteness :lol:

thank you very much! I can't wait to RP with u in-game ^^

I loved fighting games like tekken and soul caliber

Currently, I live on the west coast with my boyfriend, roomie/bestie

I also love to read manga and collect BJD's

WoW, Aion,Tera and GW2

This sounds a little too familiar. *standing up from his chair, the silver cross around his neck is clearly visible. He takes a small bow towards her*

Welcome to the group. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. My experience is mostly forum roleplay but I have gotten into in game-ish RP as of late.

Oh? *gives a polite nod in return*

Do you collect BJD's too?  :o

let's nerd out together if so!  xD haha

Pirates! Welcome, fellow brigand! We're really a good group here. I hope you like it. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask us. We're good with questions.

Arrgg matey!  ;) hehe

thank you very much ^_^

Welcome to the RPC!!  :thumbsup:

Thank you very much :angel:

Welcome.

Athankya  ;)

Welcome. I used to have a girl character that did such things as well to be viewed as a boy, but it was in another setting. It's a fun thing to play. Enjoy. :)

Ooo awesome :D  I hope to!

thank you very much ^^:roll:

Welcome! Even if I'm just another newcomer.

It's fun to hear that someone else is into the BJD hobby too :>

Ooo! do you collect BJD's?? *squee*  how exciting, nobody in my RL friends does and they don't get it when I fangurl out over new sculpts or even just wigs and new eyes etc. lol 

I need some like-minded amigos 8-)

aw yea

Welcome to the RPC, dear!

I'm sure you know this by now, but in ARR breast sizes are customizable, so having a character with a smaller bust is a possibility. You can still see them, unfortunately, but they'll be less noticeable.

Hehe yes I figured that I wouldn't be able to hide them completely in game. most games don't have very flat chested female characters. :/  Actually, the syllvari in GW2 could be very petite but I just couldn't RP one cause I couldn't relate to their lore. /sigh

but that's where imagination comes in to play! Yay :D 

Thank you for the warm welcome :geek::love::moogle:

:moogle:

Exploration of gender identity, even in something like RP, is always super interesting to me. I look forward to reading more about your character.

Her struggle with gender identity and coming to terms with feminine strength are going to be main storylines with her. Not the only ones, I don't want her to become one dimensional or anything, but it's something I can relate to so i'm going to explore it in my RP  :thumbsup: