NDA Update

As some of you may have noticed in a discussion thread the other day, a little bit of the NDA has been lifted! With some help I did a little digging and we were able to confirm officially and all that jazz that we ARE able to talk about limited things:

During the Nico Nico Super Convention 2 that will take place on April 27 and 28 in Japan, there will be a FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta demo area and we will be lifting the confidentiality provisions on:

• *Information related to character creation
    *Information related to New Gridania and Old Gridania

IMPORTANT: Please note that all other information about FFXIV: ARR, as well as images, videos, and sound, will continue to be confidential in accordance with Section 2.6 of the FFXIV:ARR Beta Test Agreement. This means that, except for the above listed topics, it will still be a violation of the Beta Test Agreement to disclose information related to the features and technology of the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test, bugs, information posted on the Beta Tester forum, and any other related information (including testers’ comments and thoughts).

So we can talk about these TWO things now! Have at!

Oh thank the Twelve! *unzipps his mouth...partially*

I Love the Aethernet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best invention ever. Basically, smaller aetherite crystals positioned all over Old Gridania, the main Aetherite being in the center of New Gridania, that allow you to travel to certain set points all over the city so there's less walking time.

If the above information is still covered in the NDA I apologize and feel free to erase it.

Oh yeah, character creation.

I haven't played with all the options for all the characters, but I like the additional tails they added for the Miqo'te. One of 'em is a lions tail :3 Also, if I remember correctly, they added more colors for the tail tip. Also can't wait to see all the new hair styles and options coming in Phase 3!

Aethernet isn't NDA breaking at all, actually. It was in 1.0. :>

Really? Like it is with smaller nodes placed all over the city?

Yeah, they were located throughout the cities. Small little nodes. Served the same function as they do in 2.0.

Like this

etc.

Aethernet isn't NDA breaking at all, actually. It was in 1.0. :>

Really? Like it is with smaller nodes placed all over the city?

Yeah, they were located throughout the cities. Small little nodes. Served the same function as they do in 2.0.

Like this

etc.

Oh those! I do remember them in 1.0 now, I just never used them because you needed a certain rank in the Grand Companies to use them. That's not the case now in 2.0. You just sync with the small aetherite and go.

My opinion on the current system:

Need more scars, facial hair, and hairstyles!

Also, WTB names for all the obscure colors they provide us so that we can understand the subtle differences between black/white/silver/red/yellow and the other five blacks/whites/silvers/reds/yellows.

I still think a color wheel would be better rather than swatches.

Well, it's not QUITE a wheel, but if you take a peek at the newest blog post about character creation ( http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/335 )

It shows a nicely updated section for colors up in the corner there. Not quite a full on freedom-wheel for colors, but it's still a significant improvement IMO.

Some of the new tattoos though...not so much, lol. But to each his own!

Being able to talk about character creation is useless now that they're completely revamping it in phase 3. I imagine they're only adding options and not taking away any of the ones from the previous two phases. But now I have to waste a lot of time working on my character again. I already had a notepad of facial combinations I liked for male Midlanders, Seekers, and Dunesfolk. As the numbers mean nothing anymore, I threw it away. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely excited about the new options, but a little bummed that I have to spend two more hours in character creator making my dude look perfect. It's also harder to visualize my characters when writing about them now that I'm unsure of how they're going to end up looking. First world RP problems.

. I already had a notepad of facial combinations I liked for male Midlanders, Seekers, and Dunesfolk. As the numbers mean nothing anymore, I threw it away. 

Well even though you are bummed, *hugs* you made me happy. I always like when there are number values. Makes it easier to recreate the character if need be. Even if it isn't set in stone yet it will make it easier once it is.

I'm pretty happy with the character creator and some of the differences that added with adding details to your character, but I have no idea why they're so giddy about the damn facial tattoos. I think they look absolutely awful, but that's just me...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. But a dev post was made on the official forums a few days ago regarding the drop of the NDA starting in phase 3. We'll bump this thread again when it actually goes into effect.

Here's the official dev response:

Here is how non-disclosure agreement will work in Beta Test phase 3:

Information will be free to post. Everything is open and you can post freely about any aspect of the beta test and your thoughts on it.

In regards to images and video in Beta Test phase 3:

• You can post images of phase 3 (no images from Alpha, phase 1 or phase 2)
  • You cannot post audio or video.

We will be making a more detailed announcement before the start of Beta phase 3, but I wanted to share this general overview now.

Oh yeah, character creation.

I haven't played with all the options for all the characters, but I like the additional tails they added for the Miqo'te. One of 'em is a lions tail :3 Also, if I remember correctly, they added more colors for the tail tip. 

:o Lion-tails? This is awesome news! Thank you! I assume they're available for Sunseekers? I was actually really worried that the tail would be exactly what's shown on the main website, those short rounded ones.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as a friendly reminder. The NDA is still in effect in regards to videos and audio (from ARR, not 1.0) until phase 4. I've noticed people getting more comfortable posting links here and there and wanted to remind everyone to continue being cautious in this regard. With all the excitement for the upcoming final stage of beta, it's easy to overlook this. We don't want anyone to risk getting in trouble!

Bumping this thread as a friendly reminder. The NDA is still in effect in regards to videos and audio (from ARR, not 1.0) until phase 4. I've noticed people getting more comfortable posting links here and there and wanted to remind everyone to continue being cautious in this regard. With all the excitement for the upcoming final stage of beta, it's easy to overlook this. We don't want anyone to risk getting in trouble!

Guilty! I posted an awesome video on youtube showcasing the crazy streaking raid I ran through Eorzea in the final hours of phase 3. I unlisted it until the NDA lifts. Whew.