RP and changing jobs

This is more for description on a forum based RP or possibly text based RP, as it can happen instantly in-game. but my curiosity in this is how will characters change jobs from one to another?

Example:

If my character(WHM) was on his ship, and needed to fight unarmed, would he simply reach into his pocket, pull out two cesti and 'transform' ala sailor moon into a monk with full gear or would he rush into the cabin and emerge a monk, like superman? Or Maybe more 'bleach'ish and change under the cover of light/smoke?

How would you do it? What's appropriate in this situation?

I've been thinking about this as well, but for different reasons. Say I'm in a tavern, and someone invites me to go adventuring with them for whatever reason. I wouldn't already be wearing armor and weapons in anticipation of this happening. My solution is running into a backroom (if it's on your ship, it'd be your cabin. if it was in an inn, it'd be a rented room or something), changing jobs or putting on armor, and returning. Other people will do different things, but I like to think no one can just transform outfits. If someone comes up with a good magical explanation I'd be open to it. As for my character though, who knows nothing about magic, I'll be changing in separate rooms.

Clearly a summoner's powers are not limited to evoking the essences of god-like entities, surely once you've managed to master the summoning arts, you can draw out your equipment from smaller pocket dimension, and have it attach itself to your person.

Now with that joke out of the way, I am inclined to agree with Abodo.

Unless you carry around your wardrobe wherever you go, you'll have to enter your cabin/room prior to doing whatever it is that you wish to do.. And prepare in advance.

And I suppose that if someone could come up with magical explanation more serious than my own, I would have no real problems with it.

I think it would depend on the situation, but there's some game mechanics that can be overlooked and some assumptions that can be made. If they're in a fight or out in the field, a character would not realistically stop and change all their gear to a new set which they just happen to have stashed in a magic Mary Poppins backpack, they would just drop their weapon and grab another. I would probably RP it this way, ignore the magic armor change, then after the fight switch back to the first job for appearance's sake.

If they're in town somewhere preparing to leave though and they wanted to main a different job for the adventure, it would realistically fit that they changed gear in an inn somewhere. In that case I would agree with the guys above and RP it out.

I agree with Cayson. I think it makes much more sense, in the heat of a battle, to simply describe alternating weaponry than your entire wardrobe. To fight with an axe and then throw it down to fight with your bare fists, or pick up the staff you need for conjuring or something. I think it's one of those mechanics of the game you might have to overlook sometimes while RPing in writing for the sake of actually making sense...

In regards to simply dropping a weapon in combat and pick up another (or simply use one's fists), there are a few other things to take into consideration.

The Pugilist and the Monk, both have the ability to move quickly and evade, etc.. That would not be possible for someone who just a second ago was a Paladin/Warrior in full armour. Your punches and kicks, should they connect, might hit harder.. But they wouldn't be as quick, and evasion would be harder.

On the other hand, dropping your staff/wand and picking up a sword and shield, would require you to really make good use of the shield, as now you have nothing but some linen cloth between yourself and some nasty critters claws/another character's weapon.

That's fair. I'm going to RP that my character has nothing with him but what he brought, so pulling an axe out of nowhere isn't going to happen. The fact that you'd be changing weapons so frequently in combat is confusing to me. Unless you're fighting Jackie Chan in an armory, there's really no point as far as RP is concerned. My character will probably only ever use 3 weapon sets just by virtue of his personality and skill set. He'll only be Archer, Lancer/Dragoon, and Gladiator/Paladin, and never at the same time. When I pick a class or job, my character will only carry that gear. No one who travels as much as the adventurers in this game would be able to walk around with a bow, a quiver, a lance, a shield, a sword, and heavy armor. (except maybe Roegadyns) If Uther is called upon to battle or explore, he'll think about the situation at hand and grab his gear accordingly. Of course, problems arise and maybe it wasn't the best choice, but he's not Batman, and he's not coming up with contingency plans for every enemy. 

So, in short, I'll be only carrying gear for one class at a time, as it makes the most sense in a role-playing scenario.

In my experience, and I've only RP'd on the forums, It's usually good to go dressed for the occasion, so to speak. If you need to change class in the middle of an RP to suit a certain situation, I have a few suggestions on how to go about that.

Take my character, Caden, for example. He has two main classes; Archer and Gladiator. Now, carrying a bow and a sword around at the same time is rather simple and convenient. I can have him, obviously, carry his sword in a sheath at his left hip and his bow can be slung over his shoulder, across his back. Rather than having his quiver slung over his back, I like to have it affixed to his waist -through his belt- at a slight angle so the arrows are at a fast and easy position to reach with his right hand. It's also a little easier to conceal if he's wearing a cloak. And even though I'd use it in the game to obviously train the Gladiator class, in an RP situation Caden will not have a shield.

Carrying much more than that can be come quite cumbersome, but lets say down the road I would like him to also be an efficient Pugilist. I can have his Cesti affixed to his belt at his right hip so I effectively have three classes I can change to at a moments notice.

It's also worth noting that in FFXIV you can use skills from other classes, so say if you're a Gladiator, you can use white or black magic or other skills from other classes. Try tying this into your character. If he/she is a Black Mage, but you're running around with a sword, remember that not all your Black Mage abilities are lost just because you aren't that class. It may not always be necessary to change classes on the fly when you have access to borrowed skills.

I too have been thinking about it.

On one hand, I think of instances in anime where swords grow and people transform so I think it is reasonable to see an instant change of abilities and gear with no real need to explain it out. 

However my rational mind still has trouble accepting that and I will avoid that as much as possible and try not to change on the fly. I play all aspects of the game ICly so I know it will come into play at some point.

Open to suggestions.

Playing all aspects of the game ICly is just a bit much for most people. Game mechanics exist that are essential to making it a good MMO, but are completely unrealistic even in the magical setting. Thing such as instantly changing clothing, timers/cooldowns, a pack that carries an incredible amount of gear and items..

If you insist on RPing everything, I wish you luck. But please be mindful that not everyone is going to accept your or even need explanation for some game mechanics.

Something something stored in the Aether something something that's why all your abilities go on cooldown when you change.

At least, five bucks says if an official lore position on the matter was asked for, this is what they'd say, rather than brushing it off as a gameplay conceit. MMO developers feel this compulsive desire to insist that everything that can happen in their game has a canonical explanation, even when that creates internal contradictions that they don't care to resolve.

I think really realistically, this ultimately wouldn't be reasonable to question.  Taking into account how the lore and everyday NPC interaction takes place, most of the time it would be unreasonable for many of us to have random multiple jobs like some of the examples here.  If you are a warrior, chances are the way the world works...you aren't suddenly going to pick up a staff and say hey I want to use all that BLM training I got in between warrior training...it just usually doesn't work like that.  

Now...if you have a story that supports the change then fine, go ahead with questioning of how to justify it, but I will agree with Aysun, when it comes to game mechanics such as these, you usually ignore them to survive a battle if need be, otherwise you just stay as the one class if you are going to be realistic.  Sure Momo has WHM sub job and is a PLD, but those classes make sense together, and I don't to truly change anything to use both, so those work, but as I said, if you are really trying to fit with the lore and world stance to this degree, you shouldn't be randomly changing in between anyways.

These jobs, they aren't passing fancy, most of the skills that you will come to learn are apparently learned through years of hard training, even if it truly only took you a couple months or less, so they should be treated with such revere in a hardcore RP world, and with that being said, the game mechanics should be ignored for the purpose of purity.  Anywho, I hope that you guys find an answer if you wish to keep on with this train of thought, I am interested to see what other ideas are come up with.

I want to fight Jackie Chan in an armory :D!

So glad someone caught this. :thumbsup:

Also, what Momo said makes a lot of sense to me. The jobs and classes you have in the game are supposed to be learned over the course of years in a RP sense. For instance, and I don't mean to plug my own character as some sort of perfect example but, Uther is a dragoon. Even when I'm inevitably going to have to level Lancer, he's still a dragoon in my mind. He's been training to be a dragoon since he was five years old. So the idea of someone switching jobs on the fly back-and-forth in a fight from one extreme to the next is kind of a foreign concept to me and it doesn't hold much ground from a realistic RP sense. I would go as far as to say it's insulting to the lore, but that might be a bit extreme. Seriously though, the only other jobs I can see Uther as are Paladin and maybe one day Archer. And the Paladin shift I have in mind will be RP'd over the course of months. I just don't get why this is an issue. I strongly believe in RPing a character who is a master of his or her art, and has put in the dedication and discipline to truly earn that title. With that comes very few opportunities to switch from warrior to black mage mid-combat. I realize OOC complications may arise in combat, but if you're a competent player even that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This is just me though, and everyone is different.

Forgive me if I'm off base here as far as how people do RP here, but it's been my understanding that you're not literally bound by the game mechanic.

Taking my character, K'aworu for example. He is for all points and purposes a Conjurer and is affiliated with the Fane. However, he does have some talent in Archery. But for RP, I wouldn't really /need/ to switch between those two jobs for the sake of the RP.

I could easily keep him, IG-wise, as either class/job. I could easily keep him as a CNJ, but through the course of RP, use text and other context clues to talk about his archery, or even demonstrate it in RP just using writing. I don't think I have to change him to the ARC job to say he can shoot an arrow, or say that he is shooting an arrow in an RP session.

This has just been my impression on the matter. Changing jobs how the game does it, I don't think has any actual RP representation. Your character can just /know/ those other skills (logically, of course. Not in a godmodding sense.)

I want to fight Jackie Chan in an armory :D!

Also, what Momo said makes a lot of sense to me. The jobs and classes you have in the game are supposed to be learned over the course of years in a RP sense. For instance, and I don't mean to plug my own character as some sort of perfect example but, Uther is a dragoon. Even when I'm inevitably going to have to level Lancer, he's still a dragoon in my mind. He's been training to be a dragoon since he was five years old. So the idea of someone switching jobs on the fly back-and-forth in a fight from one extreme to the next is kind of a foreign concept to me and it doesn't hold much ground from a realistic RP sense. I would go as far as to say it's insulting to the lore, but that might be a bit extreme. Seriously though, the only other jobs I can see Uther as are Paladin and maybe one day Archer. And the Paladin shift I have in mind will be RP'd over the course of months. I just don't get why this is an issue. I strongly believe in RPing a character who is a master of his or her art, and has put in the dedication and discipline to truly earn that title. With that comes very few opportunities to switch from warrior to black mage mid-combat. I realize OOC complications may arise in combat, but if you're a competent player even that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This exactly why I RP Samurai now.  It just doesnt make sense that when they add samurai (and they have said several times it was coming) that BOOM I am now a Samurai and know everything about being one.  It just doesnt add up.

However I understand this is a game and FF has a history of changing jobs in battle like FF5 and FF X2.

To each their own of course.

If my character(WHM) was on his ship, and needed to fight unarmed, would he simply reach into his pocket, pull out two cesti and 'transform' ala sailor moon into a monk with full gear or would he rush into the cabin and emerge a monk, like superman? Or Maybe more 'bleach'ish and change under the cover of light/smoke?

How would you do it? What's appropriate in this situation?

I suppose it all depends on the situation and the scene. If by "needed to fight unarmed" you mean, for example, his weapon got knocked away from him ICly, then you can have him hide his weapon visually and RP out his actions.

Given too that if your character is a martial artist and a mage, it isn't too far of a stretch to go that he could be adept with staves, sort of like martial arts with a Bō. If your character for some reason is attacked (perhaps through something like an IC FATE) and Monk is your stronger job--I dunno. I can't really think of a circumstance where I'd have a character ICly 'job change' on the scene. ESPECIALLY if it meant that I would need to change gear. The only time I would do that would likely be to change from a DD to a crafting job; but for his equipment, it would only be clothes that could reasonably fit under his armor (I like the vests for this purpose).

Jumping in and out from one AF to another is going to get you some questionable glances.

Blade, for example, has a couple jobs. He's a Warrior first and foremost, and he's an 'alright' Gladiator (but not a Paladin). Anyways, that all being said, I can't really find myself trying to RP both in a given scene. That's a lot of gear to be carrying on his back, and I prefer to RP a character that doesn't require a lengthy description when he comes on scene *In addition to his Axe, fellow roleplayer can also see that he has a bow and quiver, a shield, a dagger, a sword...* ... I prefer a more 'what you see is what you get' approach.

I would say, even in life, jobs and skills are never really completely clear cut. Par example, I'm in research, (bioengineering.) I wear a lab coat for the biological half of my work, but when I get back to the device half, I don't really take it off. (Mostly because lazy.) - I have all the tools I need for both jobs in the pockets of my l lab coats, so even as I go between the different aspects, I am technically wearing 'gear' for my main job. 

I argue that everyone, IC, has a 'main' job. The one that they do best, that they train the longest for, and naturally, the one that defines their character. Just because my character knows the abilities of some other jobs doesn't mean he's going to switch out most of his gear for a new set when he just wants to use a single skill.

Example here being, and forgive me if I get the mechanics wrong, if my lancer wants to cast some black magic, he doesn't necessarily have to use a staff to do so, perhaps he just plants his pointy stick into the ground and uses his other hand to cast. Or, he can have his channeling built into the lance. But no matter what magic he casts, he's still a lancer casting that magic and not suddenly a new mageling.

This exactly why I RP Samurai now.  It just doesnt make sense that when they add samurai (and they have said several times it was coming) that BOOM I am now a Samurai and know everything about being one.  It just doesnt add up.

However I understand this is a game and FF has a history of changing jobs in battle like FF5 and FF X2.

To each their own of course.

I think it's way too much of a thing against somebody for them to consistently switch jobs and do whatever. At least by my standards. I'm not going to RP all the time. Realm Reborn is just as much of a MMO opportunity as it is for a RP opportunity to me. OOC'ly, I'll be doing and experimenting with a bunch of things. I'm not going to let RP hold me back in experiencing the game in entirety. I'm going to be doing a lot of OOC stuff, but when I'm RP'ing I'll be what my character is.

Besides... hell, I don't know what I'm going to have fun with class wise, job wise...

I'm thinking of Paladin right now, but what if I turn out to despise the Job? What if I like Warrior more? Etc. It's things you gotta think about. Now, I will say that while leveling Gladiator, Berserker, and Conjurer, I will be RP'ing as if I'm training to become a Paladin in the sense of getting used to different weapons, and magic itself as part of the training. That should give me enough time, realistically, for it to make sense of Ryanti becoming a Paladin. I'm not, however, going to spend literal months/years becoming something if it holds me back time-wise. (I'm a college student. Time management.) If I put in enough work to level those classes and the game recognizes me as a Paladin, I believe that to be enough.

I'm not a casual. But there's such a thing as too hardcore for me, to the point where RP becomes a parasite. It just seems to me like making a big deal out of a little deal.

Ryanti is eventually going to be a Samurai. But not right now. This is a stage of his life, and Samurai is going to be the next. I decided to take the situation of me not being able to become Samurai from launch, and turned it into a way for Ryanti to evolve as a character.

When that class comes out, however long it takes for me to level.. I'd probably have to level stuff like Pugilist or something anyhow.. regardless of all that, there will be a good amount of writing of what happens between Ryanti discovering the art, and him becoming one. I'm not going to just have it happen in a snap..

But at the same time.. months? Maybe. Years? No, lol.

Forgive me if I'm off base here as far as how people do RP here, but it's been my understanding that you're not literally bound by the game mechanic.

Taking my character, K'aworu for example. He is for all points and purposes a Conjurer and is affiliated with the Fane. However, he does have some talent in Archery. But for RP, I wouldn't really /need/ to switch between those two jobs for the sake of the RP.

I could easily keep him, IG-wise, as either class/job. I could easily keep him as a CNJ, but through the course of RP, use text and other context clues to talk about his archery, or even demonstrate it in RP just using writing. I don't think I have to change him to the ARC job to say he can shoot an arrow, or say that he is shooting an arrow in an RP session.

This has just been my impression on the matter. Changing jobs how the game does it, I don't think has any actual RP representation. Your character can just /know/ those other skills (logically, of course. Not in a godmodding sense.)

You're not bound by the game mechanic. At least I think so.

I see nothing bad about speaking of talents without switching jobs. It's silly when you think about it IRL. I don't have to dress up in a baseball uniform with a bat and helmet to tell people I'm good at baseball. It's just silly.

For the less extreme examples, sometimes it's more convenient to write things out then bother with modifying game mechanics. Especially if it's something as little as a job change for.. y'know.. shooting an arrow or something.

I didn't mean you should literally be RPing that you're learning dragoon or monk or black mage for years. I meant the game's lore kind of implies that it takes years to master each job's art. My point is if you envision your character as something, they should at least have some loyalty to the job.

I'll use Uther as an example. Uther was born in Ishgard and is a third generation Dragoon. This explains why he's great at it the second I unlock the job. I'll dabble in other classes and jobs of course, but say I wanted to play Paladin as my main job and not play Dragoon anymore. The Dragoon job is so ingrained in Uther's character that I would have to create a story arc as to why he's becoming a Paladin, and I wouldn't RP him as a master of the trade for at least a few weeks or months. (Not years, because frankly who has time for that? It's a game.) This doesn't mean I'd play the job poorly on purpose or I would level it slowly. I just wouldn't RP that I'm a boss as a Paladin after one day of running around killing squirrels.

Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't mean you should literally be RPing that you're learning dragoon or monk or black mage for years. I meant the game's lore kind of implies that it takes years to master each job's art. My point is if you envision your character as something, they should at least have some loyalty to the job.

I'll use Uther as an example. Uther was born in Ishgard and is a third generation Dragoon. This explains why he's great at it the second I unlock the job. I'll dabble in other classes and jobs of course, but say I wanted to play Paladin as my main job and not play Dragoon anymore. The Dragoon job is so ingrained in Uther's character that I would have to create a story arc as to why he's becoming a Paladin, and I wouldn't RP him as a master of the trade for at least a few weeks or months. (Not years, because frankly who has time for that? It's a game.) This doesn't mean I'd play the job poorly on purpose or I would level it slowly. I just wouldn't RP that I'm a boss as a Paladin after one day of running around killing squirrels.

Sorry for the confusion.

That makes a lot more sense.

It's kind of why I'm using the practice of making Ryanti's starting age quite clear (17-18)... and then as he progresses in, learning this, learning that, becoming this/that, instead of numerically keeping track of his age, I'm going to make it more vague. (He's a young man, in his 20's, a growing man, etc.)

So I'm not really specifying how much time he's putting into becoming 'boss' at his class IC-wise to give me some leeway, and also not setting a bar for how long it would take either.

Different people have different philosophies about time passing IC. I intend, for a long time, in keeping Ryanti's age associated with him being a young man. Maybe I will change that much later on, but for now that's what I'm aiming at. There's enough years there for me to do what I want to.

That's fair. There's certainly nothing wrong with keeping your character open to different styles of combat, especially if he's young. I'm just saying it angers me when someone RPs that they're the best at every job ever. 

On a side note, I'm all about aging characters. Even in games I don't RP in, I've done it. In WoW I played the same character from day 1 of vanilla to MoP launch, never RP'd, but I still used the barbershop function to gray his beard and recede his hairline, since I had been playing him for something close to 8 years.

I really hope there's a function like this in ARR. Of course my character is only 25 at launch so I don't think the game will be running long enough to need to gray his hair, but giving me the option of having him grow a beard or cut his hair in favor of a more mature look would be outstanding. That was off-topic. My bad. :blush:

That's fair. There's certainly nothing wrong with keeping your character open to different styles of combat, especially if he's young. I'm just saying it angers me when someone RPs that they're the best at every job ever. 

On a side note, I'm all about aging characters. Even in games I don't RP in, I've done it. In WoW I played the same character from day 1 of vanilla to MoP launch, never RP'd, but I still used the barbershop function to gray his beard and recede his hairline, since I had been playing him for something close to 8 years.

I really hope there's a function like this in ARR. Of course my character is only 25 at launch so I don't think the game will be running long enough to need to gray his hair, but giving me the option of having him grow a beard or cut his hair in favor of a more mature look would be outstanding. That was off-topic. My bad. :blush:

It's quite alright. :thumbsup:

Ryanti will definitely be exposed to many things during his training. On purpose, mostly. To basically just verse him in the way of combat, adventuring, and in some cases, war.

But no, Ryanti will definitely not be the best at everything. He will improve.. at things, the more time he spends learning them, of course. Certainly won't be the best though. Ryanti has a natural talent and incredibly deep well at being brave and courageous. To live up to the deeds of his father, whom was an Immortal Flame all the way up to when the Meteor hit.

But it's not something he realizes he has. If anyone would be the one to... tell him he's not good at something, it would be Ryanti himself, at least when he starts out. He's going to be very self critical about himself, and unsure about himself. I'm going to use his weaknesses to define his strengths.

But he's going to grow, as I said. In time, he will be quite the beautiful, majestic warrior with a magnetism and charisma that his father had. Although certainly he wouldn't be a master at it. People twice his age in the Flames would be.

Looking way into the future, when he is a fully fledged Samurai... hm, perhaps then would be the time to go to the barber shop and 'settle down' his hair a bit, and give a more.. experienced expression x3. Make him much more, at peace with myself, and sure of his decisions.

Though of the course the philosophy of a Samurai is that you are always learning.

I don't really think I could ever say I was/am/is a master at any Job, really. Unless it is bestowed upon me by others. I could say I'm really experienced, or that.. I have natural talent, or that I learn quickly. But mastery truely means you have nothing else to learn except from the students you teach.

It'll be kind of complicated though once I'm level 50 with full pvp gear and everything. Unless I don't count that in RP.

Once Ryanti is like that, I could go for the Obi-Wan approach. Be a 'master', have a student (maybe)... but still be, relatively young, and having much to learn still.

I can see being a Master rank wise much moreso then 'mastery' if that makes sense.

Although I still think, other people should make that distinction, not myself.

I'm just rambling now, lol. :dazed:

The way I see it taking everything ICly isn't hardcore. Being so into the story of your character that you make it difficult to experience the game in an IC manner seems more hard core to me. Not saying people are wrong for that, but I don't see my way as wrong either of course. They are just two different ways to play. 

I don't let RP stop me from enjoying the game. But instead of going OOC to complete the game and IC to play out my RP, I intermix. I never got into deep backstory and tavern type drama RP. I like seeing my character fail and improve through the game. If I don't like a job or concept after I have started, I find a way to switch the character through RP. That being said, I don't just immediately get good at the new skill but develop it over time (both IC and OOC) I like making IC friends through time spent on the field having each other's back. 

This means accepting the world for what it is. As a disclaimer, there are a few times where I do play OOCly but I try to keep that limited as much as possible.

So back to the subject, I see jobs as skills you learn. In RL I have worked in a bank, Fast food, and grooming dogs. I can still do all three as long as I have the right equipment. But I am not cooking in a groomer's outfit and don't need scissors. So when you switch it's just bringing along your tools and changing out as you see fit. Done so instantly in this magical fantasy world.