Question about RP, occurances, other "gameplay" events with it etc

Evan

First off sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but its a mix of RP and basic gameplay so figured whatever, I'll plop it here since it revolves around RP.

I'm a former WoW vet (quit soon after Cata if it matters) and I use to RP a lot on there back in BC on Emerald Dream back when the RP was heavy then. (Nowadays its dead, and ridiculed upon by a lot of that RP/PvP servers community which is sad) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it added more depth and gave the game more of a 'single player RPG' experience.. I mean that in a single player RPG, you have your focus on story and the characters stories interlinking and learning their past and mysteries.. Whereas in a lot of MMOs its just "LOL U SUK FGT L2P N GET GEARSS" or at least thats the damn vibe I've been getting from being with Tera at the start and leaving after F2P ruined it and the already wounded community in it.. Alas I'll get to my point.,

I'm an avid PvPer, (I know this game isnt too hardcore in that aspect but I love all the FF's too much to pass up on the stories/raids) and like to participate in raids etc.. Are the Rp'ers that do exist on this actually experience the game and endgame content? Or do they revolve mainly on the RP aspect of forming their own characters, or do they also progress normally and form it off of those experiences?

I ask since I would love to find a semi heavy RP guild that would welcome a long time MMO'er, that also does the endgame content and actually groups up for stuff etc... I knew some of the remaining RP guilds in WoW were strictly just RP, and hardly did any actual game content like raids etc. 

Soo, in short, what server would be best for that? I'm thinking Balmung (?) since that seems the unoffical RP choice.. But... is the community full of elitiest pricks that are going to shun away lowbis and the type of people who would farm the starting zones if PvP was allowed in open world?

I got stuck in a server like that on Tera, while that game is horrid in my taste, that just made the experience that much worse, and I'm trying to avoid that crash in this game for obvious reasons.

As of right now, the official Unofficial RP server is Balmung. Once SE makes up their minds about naming one officially that may change, but as of the moment most of the RPers are located and plan to remain on Balmung.

I can't speak for all RPers of FFXIV in general, but the RPC is a very welcoming bunch as a whole. We love to answer any questions you have or help you along in any way possible. And many of us enjoy endgame content! There will most certainly be guilds/linkshells/ or events geared toward Endgame content, with or without RP in mind.

I feel like Kerr answered the server thing. I'll answer your questions regarding diversity.

There are a decent number of people into all kinds of things here. I, personally, am very much into PvP. There are quite a lot of people here who are interested in PvP just as there are people here that aren't. There are people here interested in raids, in endgame content, etc.

Certainly you have your totally dedicated RP'ers, but most of us also have a significant investment in our OOC futures. I can also certainly tell you that we aren't full of elitist pricks.

Anyway, hope to see you on the Front lines. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Exploring the Linkshells in the Linkshell category will give you an idea of what some of us are planning.

As far as I know, the group here is all over the board, but you won't be without people who're of the same mind on end-game as you are. As far as I've been able to see, a few of the linkshells (guilds) people are planning on establishing are going to include an RP element, as well as an endgame element. Some long established shells do this already, for example: TALE. Of course it varies from player to player how you want to balance your RP time with your end-game time. I personally, in 1.0, was part of an RP group (just one? no, lul) and a separate end-game shell (Art of War). The end-game shell had no issues with RPers joining, and in fact a number of the people I RP with were already in, or ended up in the shell.

So, really, if you're looking for a group that RPs and does endgame, you'll have a number of options :)

First off sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but its a mix of RP and basic gameplay so figured whatever, I'll plop it here since it revolves around RP.

I'm a former WoW vet (quit soon after Cata if it matters) and I use to RP a lot on there back in BC on Emerald Dream back when the RP was heavy then. (Nowadays its dead, and ridiculed upon by a lot of that RP/PvP servers community which is sad) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it added more depth and gave the game more of a 'single player RPG' experience.. I mean that in a single player RPG, you have your focus on story and the characters stories interlinking and learning their past and mysteries.. Whereas in a lot of MMOs its just "LOL U SUK FGT L2P N GET GEARSS" or at least thats the damn vibe I've been getting from being with Tera at the start and leaving after F2P ruined it and the already wounded community in it.. Alas I'll get to my point.,

I'm an avid PvPer, (I know this game isnt too hardcore in that aspect but I love all the FF's too much to pass up on the stories/raids) and like to participate in raids etc.. Are the Rp'ers that do exist on this actually experience the game and endgame content? Or do they revolve mainly on the RP aspect of forming their own characters, or do they also progress normally and form it off of those experiences?

I ask since I would love to find a semi heavy RP guild that would welcome a long time MMO'er, that also does the endgame content and actually groups up for stuff etc... I knew some of the remaining RP guilds in WoW were strictly just RP, and hardly did any actual game content like raids etc. 

Soo, in short, what server would be best for that? I'm thinking Balmung (?) since that seems the unoffical RP choice.. But... is the community full of elitiest pricks that are going to shun away lowbis and the type of people who would farm the starting zones if PvP was allowed in open world?

I got stuck in a server like that on Tera, while that game is horrid in my taste, that just made the experience that much worse, and I'm trying to avoid that crash in this game for obvious reasons.

Well to address your PvP question, I don't think many members of the RPC actually care enough to sit there and hunt down lowbies even if they were given the chance to.

And there are a few people in the RPC that are experienced with endgame raid content who are also heavy RPers, so I'm sure you can find some linkshell (guild) that will fill your requirements.

Also, welcome to the RPC!

Are the Rp'ers that do exist on this actually experience the game and endgame content? Or do they revolve mainly on the RP aspect of forming their own characters, or do they also progress normally and form it off of those experiences?

Sounds to me like you just met a crappy batch. For my experience, the roleplayers on Balmung were far from "elitist", and the practice of shunning new people is one that we all kind of publicly decry. It's bullshit, everyone was new once, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I don't think you have a ton to worry about, just be sure to pitch what it is you'd like to the LS/FC that interests you, and if someone can't provide it, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I always have bad luck but every MMO I've tried has had the same HORRIBLE community. Well, I should say after WoW, though WoWs community has derailed a pretty good amount.

SWTOR was good, couldn't find RP'ers, but I was with it when it launched and beta and they had so many servers there were literally at most 400~ on my server at a time, but I managed to find a good guild.. Its just sad the games raids have breaking bugs that are STILL there from release and now its just a hunking pile of poo thats F2P with cash shop elements being spammed in your face because of the money hungry EA owning it. D: bughtgrdyihsg. *cough*

And.. most MMOs I've played other then that have been F2P which, I'm sure we all know the communitys those can bring in.

Although its nice to know so far no negative comments have been made, so use to that from XIV's board of.. I dunno what to call it now.

Glad theres no sign so far of just pure RP guilds, was disheartening finding RP guilds that only RP'd and nothing else unless to get costumes.

So I guess I'll go to Bal on launch and see how it is and look for a likeminded guild if I dont find one just on this that'll take me in.

If theres any leaders/officers of any bigger ones on (bigger I mean just have actual active players) I would appreciate PMN'ing me or something of the like so I could chat with you about recruitment!

Also, thanks all for the welcome