If you are changing your character's race...

Please calm down. We were not attacking your friend and her decision to change her race, we were simply stating our opinions on the matter.

Exactly shuck, we're not attacking you or your friend.

And as far as my comment about building a character around a race, most of us here who were around before even the original 1.0 beta test created our characters around what race we wanted to play. Most of us stuck in that race and hence we know each others characters not only by name, but also what race we prefer. So it would just be odd to think of Kylin, as example again, anything other than a Hyur midlander.

And again, if you want to change your race, more power to you; go for it. No one here is going to think differently of said person. Someone asked for our opinions and we gave them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, I didn't read through this whole thread. I read through the first page and figured it was just a back-and-forth of the same argument for the second. I'm going to have to throw my hat in with Shuck and Bea on this one. Race should not define your character. I chose Midlander, not because I was planning on building my story around it, but because it had the appearance and body type I wanted. My character would have worked perfectly fine as an Elezen or a Roegadyn, with the exception of my name. In FFXI, this may have been a problem, but every city in FFXIV is a melting pot. Any race can do anything. That being said, there are instances when it makes more sense for a certain race to match a certain personality, but all-in-all, that's just stereotypes. There's nothing written in stone that says you can't be an asshole unless you play Wildwood, or you have to be in a tribe because you chose Miqo'te. When it comes down to it, for most good characters, race is little more than cosmetics. 

Sure, you can put up the "what if my character was a racist and we were friends?" argument. But really I don't imagine there being hundreds of racists you interact with IC every day. If you play a prejudice character and your friend is a race your character doesn't like now, then tough shit I guess.

Exactly shuck, we're not attacking you or your friend.

You're late to that party. You can't assume hostility simply because of differing opinion. It's just wrong, and doesn't really allow for much discussion (Someone believes something different than me? Why, they must be upset! They should calm down!). You can't just use that as a bludgeon to end any and all discussions you're unable or unwilling to carry on. Just bow out if you're going to bow out. These little parting shots are downright unnecessary (particularly when they miss the mark as thoroughly as this one.)

Anyway, that's fine if you think it's weird. Really. Nobody said it wasn't. What was said (asked, really) was why you felt that way. And then there was a discussion on the merits of the explanations offered. A short one, but a discussion none the less.

Though I have to be honest, I still don't see how it is you create a character around a race you knew jack about during the super-early (alpha tester, even) phases of the world-to-be. Much less a character that has any kind of depth. I once again point to Orlando Bloom's Legolas as my example.

Also, you...uh...may want to re-read the original post. Prior to the de-rail here. You answered a request that wasn't ever voiced. Which then begged some more questions. And here we are!

Arg, you definitely should have read through it. x_x

Why? Looks to me like he's got a decent grip on the discussion so far.

Well, I certainly agree that a character is much more than their race as well, I've said those very words elsewhere before.. >>

I think I'm weighing in on it all anyway though, I'm going to bed, so no matter. xD We agree on some parts, disagree on others. I'm glad Bea has found a race that she's more comfortable playing her character as and I know she's not alone in switching. Endemerrin has gone from Hyur to Miqo'te male, and so has a friend of mine, Gustav (who I still rage about!).

Arg, you definitely should have read through it. x_x

I read through it while waiting for a response. I stand by what I said. 

Page 2 was nothing more than "EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALM DOWN!" when it didn't seem all that hostile. I don't think either side is upset here. It's just a debate.

I also don't think anyone needs to be telling anyone what to do with their character. Granted, I played with none of you in 1.0, but I have RP'd before and I'm a firm believer that the player is more important than the character. 

Also, with choosing your race before 1.0 was even released and making a character based around that... What? This just proves my point that race is nothing but cosmetic in most situations, since you couldn't have known anything about them other than their appearances at that point. 

When it really comes down to it, if your character's defining characteristic their race, your character probably needs to be revamped. I'll never judge any of you for changing races if you feel one fits better than the other. I also don't need you to tell me about it, because I'm a smart individual and I'm not going to say IC "Oh, I see you're a Lalafell today!"

People throwing race away as though it's not a defining characteristic are baffling me a little bit here, I'll be honest.

Race is always a huge deal in the fantasy genre, whether it's from books, films or video games. 

Yes, play what you like is a huge deal, however my issue is if I've been RPing with someone for over a year and our characters are close and this person is a Hyur, and then suddenly skip forward to ARR and they're now a Miqo'te.

If I haven't been told that they were supposed to be a Miqo'te in 1.0, or even told they're going to change to Miqo'te, then it's a tad confusing. I don't think there's an issue with warning people you're going to do it. Not ASKING them if you can, but at least having the courtesy to say you aren't going to be the same race so people can prepare for how it will change their RP/if there needs to be any retcon happening.

Race isn't THE defining feature of a character, but it should be a very important feature in my opinion. The reason the races are even given this individual lore is to show that they're different from one another. They're not Humans in different skins, and changing race without saying anything gives me the impression that people presume they are.

Let's put it this way. My character was a Dragoon in 1.0, always has been. I've RPed him as a Dragoon since release, but come ARR I saw Arcanist and Summoner was being released. So I decide that he's been a Summoner since 1.0, and wasn't a Dragoon without giving warning to anyone I RPed with in 1.0.

I'm aware race and 'job' are very different to each other, but I still think both are very important characteristics of a character.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "changing race I was this all along", but I have no issue with it so long as people involved with the person changing are at least alerted that it's happening. If your character is involved with someone, it's part of their story. If you suddenly change their race without warning, yes you're changing your own story but you are also changing their's without letting them know.

If I haven't been told that they were supposed to be a Miqo'te in 1.0, or even told they're going to change to Miqo'te, then it's a tad confusing. 

I don't mean to offend you here, but if you can't just roll with it without being utterly baffled, you probably shouldn't be playing a game that involves large amounts of improvisation. 

If I'm playing with a Hyur male in 1.0 and he shows up day one of ARR as Miqo'te male, I know it's because Miqo'te male wasn't available in 1.0 and this is how he envisions his character. If he wants to say "((hey, I prefer this race for my guy. Hope that isn't a problem.))" that's fine and most would consider it polite. If he doesn't though, I'm an adult and I can use my context clues to figure it out on my own.

I'm not saying there are zero instances where race is important. In LOTRO, I played a dwarf. My backstory involved me being a blacksmith, living under a mountain, and being proficient with axes. If I were an elf, I couldn't go around singing the Song of the Lonely Mountain as easily. But FFXIV is different. In this game, we are given a world that is more-or-less a melting pot. Sure there are more Wildwood than Highlanders in Gridania on average, but overall everyone is everywhere and does everything, so race should be much less important than it is in many other fantasy games. 

Do what you want with your character. I won't judge you because it's your character.

I honestly don't care if someone wants to change their character's race or gender. Especially in Beartric case, who seems to have warned the people who she interacted with IC fom quite some time. If they're fine with it all the better.

Obviously if someone's character has been known quite enough and around the server. Then I tend to prefer them to simply rename their character and basically create a new one. But really, who am I to limit someone else their fun.

Not to mention...Finally female roegadyn!!!

If I haven't been told that they were supposed to be a Miqo'te in 1.0, or even told they're going to change to Miqo'te, then it's a tad confusing. 

I don't mean to offend you here, but if you can't just roll with it without being utterly baffled, you probably shouldn't be playing a game that involves large amounts of improvisation. 

If I'm playing with a Hyur male in 1.0 and he shows up day one of ARR as Miqo'te male, I know it's because Miqo'te male wasn't available in 1.0 and this is how he envisions his character. If he wants to say "((hey, I prefer this race for my guy. Hope that isn't a problem.))" that's fine and most would consider it polite. If he doesn't though, I'm an adult and I can use my context clues to figure it out on my own.

I'm not saying there are zero instances where race is important. In LOTRO, I played a dwarf. My backstory involved me being a blacksmith, living under a mountain, and being proficient with axes. If I were an elf, I couldn't go around singing the Song of the Lonely Mountain as easily. But FFXIV is different. In this game, we are given a world that is more-or-less a melting pot. Sure there are more Wildwood than Highlanders in Gridania on average, but overall everyone is everywhere and does everything, so race should be much less important than it is in many other fantasy games. 

Do what you want with your character. I won't judge you because it's your character.

Yes in FFXIV the races do interact with each other and live in cities together. That doesn't make them the same. The lore is constantly being updated and we are being told and shown by the developers how different the races and their history are, because they're supposed to be different. Miqo'te are not Hyur with tails and cat ears, and changing from a Hyur to a Miqo'te without editing the character/history is acting as though they are.

The thing is, and I said this once already, if someone didn't let me know that their character was always supposed to be a Miqo'te or doesn't warn me that it's happening, when I log in and they're acting all buddy-like with me as if we've known each other for however long we have IC, it's going to cause some confusion. If I'm warned in advance or even told when I begin RPing with someone that they're supposed to be X or Y, then I have no issue with it.

Miqo'te males weren't around in 1.0 for whatever reason SE decided. We didn't see any NPCs or PCs as them in 1.0, and presumably there's some (I admit, probably weak) lore reason for such that SE has yet to announce. Retconning to that you were one of the only ones around adventuring during the days of 1.0 feels off in my opinion.

If you want to play one of these new race/gender combinations that's great, but why do you feel the need to change your already established character that is linked to many different people's stories? If I was reading a book and one day the character was a Human and in the sequel she's an Elf because the writer decided he wanted her to be an Elf all of a sudden, I'd label that poor writing.

And, slightly off topic but I'll respond, saying "I don't mean to offend you here" followed by something clearly designed to offend someone is pretty shallow.

Edit: English fail. x)

I'm really sorry the discussion kind of went the way it did.  :|

I didn't mean to suggest that you had to cater to anyone else in the community at all.  Your character is your own to shape and do with as you please, as is each of ours.  I was just pointing out that - like most things - there is a community element as well.  And I was curious if any consideration was being given to them (more specifically those who may be closest to your character) for all of the reasons that have been brought up.

It is kind of a moot point though.  I would think in the most significant examples there would be some communication between the individual that was changing that aspect of his/her identity to make sure everyone was on the same page.

And I admit I do think it's a big deal.  No a character's race or gender isn't everything.  But some of the more involved characters who have developed from 1.0 have left their mark on others in the community.  I'm perhaps fortunate that nobody close to Eva is making any such change, but it would leave me in a strange predicament if her best friend became a male, or her lover changed to a different race.  I'm not saying that a little communication couldn't help iron out the wrinkles there - just that it might be strange for some.

I noted in reading through these posts that was some criticism of how things were carried out in 1.0.  We had information (albeit not a lot) about each of the races/clans before the 1.0 alpha opened.  We made our selections based on that information.  Some of the races have seen a lot more information in the lore than others.  Some of us have been left to improvise a bit with the little lore we have been given, and hope we see some more.

Also it may bear mention that I have RPed in 1.0 with a number of male miqo'te - three or four at least - that were represented by female character models with the hope/intent to switch at ARR.

Finally, my stance on the whole thing is that I agree with Yssen insofar as it's ultimately up to the players themselves to choose what they think is best for their individual characters.  You have to log in and be able to have fun and own your role - whatever it may be.  That said, it helps to be mindful of those others who log in and have interacted with your character, and how this change might also impact them.  In many cases, it might not.  On the flipside of that coin, there are some options we have now that we didn't have before, so using this transitional 1.0-to-ARR period as a "one time race/gender change" would seem to be a fair thing for those who wanted to utilize that.  I admit I'm really ambivalent on the whole matter.  I know I had written hundreds of journal entries in my time from 1.0 recording information about people and events, and having to go back and make changes - or regard some RP that happened as having happened differently perhaps - would be offputting to me.  I also keep asking myself how things might have played out differently if so-and-so was a male instead of a female, or of a different race.  It is interesting to think about.  I wish there was an easy solution that left everyone happy.

While a bit abrasive in some cases, the responses so far have been interesting and insightful.  I guess it really was food for thought.

And, slightly off topic but I'll respond, saying "I don't mean to offend you here" followed by something clearly designed to offend someone is pretty shallow.

I really didn't mean to offend you. I tend to speak, and therefore write, in very blunt tones as I find it the best way to get a point across. I don't beat around the bush with debates because it's counter-productive.

I could go on and on with this race discussion all day, but no one's mind is changing so the point is becoming moot. 

Beatric, I like your character as a Roegadyn. But if you decide for some reason to change that at the last minute back to Miqo'te or to Hyur or whatever, that's fine too. It's your character and I respect that.

Yes in FFXIV the races do interact with each other and live in cities together. That doesn't make them the same. The lore is constantly being updated and we are being told and shown by the developers how different the races and their history are, because they're supposed to be different. Miqo'te are not Hyur with tails and cat ears, and changing from a Hyur to a Miqo'te without editing the character/history is acting as though they are.

What? No, it isn't. There's a myriad of societal conditions to consider. An individual, regardless of genetic heritage, immersed entirely in any society will conform to that society. Genes be damned. Horrifying example incoming: Click these words! Do it!

The thing is, and I said this once already, if someone didn't let me know that their character was always supposed to be a Miqo'te or doesn't warn me that it's happening, when I log in and they're acting all buddy-like with me as if we've known each other for however long we have IC, it's going to cause some confusion. If I'm warned in advance or even told when I begin RPing with someone that they're supposed to be X or Y, then I have no issue with it.

Yeah, they still don't have an obligation to "warn" you of anything. That's a really, really weird hang-up, I'm noticing. You can say that you'd like it as much as you want. And, again, there's nothing wrong with you preferring said method to any other. But to insist that there's any kind of unwritten rule that someone should talk it over with you is just...odd beyond odd.

Miqo'te males weren't around in 1.0 for whatever reason SE decided. We didn't see any NPCs or PCs as them in 1.0, and presumably there's some (I admit, probably weak) lore reason for such that SE has yet to announce. Retconning to that you were one of the only ones around adventuring during the days of 1.0 feels off in my opinion.

The models weren't done, and there was an attempt to associate the game with XI. There, there's your reason. Anyway, I have a question on this:

Does the retconning bit bug you on it's own? Does it bug you, given that this is not a popular name asking the question? Do the people who were roleplaying as Miqo'te males in 1.0 bug you? Because there were quite a few of them. Just curious.

If you want to play one of these new race/gender combinations that's great, but why do you feel the need to change your already established character that is linked to many different people's stories? If I was reading a book and one day the character was a Human and in the sequel she's an Elf because the writer decided he wanted her to be an Elf all of a sudden, I'd label that poor writing.

Ok, you know what? No easy way to put this: If you don't want your story effected by outside forces beyond your control, write a book. Don't roleplay. Other people will change your story in ways you didn't expect, because they are not you, and you don't really get to dictate what they do, and do not do. They're not responsible for how neat and clean your experience is.

That being said, this analogy is entirely invalid, as we're not talking about a book, which is static, and has one conscious mind working on it.

So is insinuating that someone is a "bad writer" with a smothering amount of passive-aggressiveness, then thumbing your nose at an argument that disagrees with your (frankly, strange) idea that roleplaying should be tidy and clean as a novel, and decreeing that it is "shallow."

English as a second (third, whatever) language be damned.

I'd also like to add that your entire post here has been discussed already. Retreading ground already covered serves little more than stirring the pot.

If I was reading a book and one day the character was a Human and in the sequel she's an Elf because the writer decided he wanted her to be an Elf all of a sudden, I'd label that poor writing.

I do have to address this though. 

This isn't a book. The only way for these two situations to be similar is if the publishing company of the book series banned all mention of elves in the first book and then allowed it in the sequel.

This is a game. A game played by people who want things that the game might not be able to provide. So why is it an issue when the game makes these options available and people decide to utilize them?

it would be pretty shitty on your part to just up and change race like that.

I'd label that poor writing.

15RBrq2.gif

Seriously, I don't know how else I can word this without coming off as rude, but his has gone on entirely too long.

Seeing that I am the author of my character and not you, I really don't care if you think I should keep my character the same. I don't care, for some weird reason, that you think it's bad writing that I want to change my character. Even if I didn't mention it to people. Even if this wasn't in the works. Even if I just decided TODAY to change her, it's still my right as the creator to do this. That's one of the great things about RPing with other people; the wildcard aspect.

I'm not entirely sure why this thread was turned into a debate if changing your character was acceptable or not. Maybe some of you didn't actually read my post and just saw the title? I don't know. If such is the case, let me reiterate. The thread was asking people who are planning on changing their character's gender or race if they would be changing any smaller personality traits to go along with it.

There wasn't a question if anyone felt it was right, or good enough, or justified. There was just a simple little question for those of us who're going to be going through with it, for the potential of brain storming and like minded ideas on the matter.

Of course, it's interesting to see other peoples takes on the matter, but a lot of the responses have been pretty discouraging.

Also, I'd like to thank the people who've been supportive of this change (even those behind the scene. Winkwink), because apparently this is a pretty huge deal to people.

I don't care, for some weird reason, that you think it's bad writing that I want to change my character.

First, I'll start off with apologising as I didn't mean for the comparison to be taken that way at all. I wasn't intending for that to be taken personally at all and as someone who hasn't even had the chance to interact with you I wouldn't dare label you as a bad writer. So I am incredibly sorry that the comparison looked as though it was targeting you, it wasn't intended at all.

Even if I just decided TODAY to change her, it's still my right as the creator to do this. That's one of the great things about RPing with other people; the wildcard aspect.

This is something I totally agree with and is the reason I absolutely adore roleplay, the wildcard aspect. Character's changing are what makes the hobby so much fun and I'm not disagreeing with that. A race change completely, however, is a little different to the average day in Roleplay. You wish to RP that Beatric was a Roegadyn female from the beginning, and I have nothing against that as I have said several times, as long as the stories you are involved in are aware that the history for said stories has been changed slightly.

Roleplay is a group activity. Yes we do things so we enjoy ourselves, but if we forget to let other people know what's changing and how that changes things we've already done, then I think that's an issue.

This is a game. A game played by people who want things that the game might not be able to provide. So why is it an issue when the game make these options available and people decide to utilize them?

I'm aware this is a game, and there is nothing wrong with people utilizing these options. It's something I find off, yes, but to each their own. I won't be ignoring someone if they've been roleplaying as though they were a Miqo'te male around in 1.0. 

But if a character changes -race-, then their history and their history with other characters still changes (however slight this change is), so I feel it's something that should be alerted to people involved with the character. Not ASKED, simply told.

And, again, there's nothing wrong with you preferring said method to any other. But to insist that there's any kind of unwritten rule that someone should talk it over with you is just...odd beyond odd.

It's odd that I should be told that my own character's history is changing? That I've been interacting closely with X race and not Y as I thought I was? As I said, roleplay is a group activity so a little heads up would be nice, just so I can be prepared and change anything that needs to be changed.

The models weren't done, and there was an attempt to associate the game with XI. There, there's your reason.

Unfortunately you missed where I said lore reason, because (and I said it's probably going to be weak), I imagine they'll have one just as they did for the lack of male Mithra in XI.

Does the retconning bit bug you on it's own? Does it bug you, given that this is not a popular name asking the question? Do the people who were roleplaying as Miqo'te males in 1.0 bug you? Because there were quite a few of them. Just curious.

The retconning does not bother me. I've retconned things before, many people do so. The people roleplaying Miqo'te males in 1.0 don't bug me, either, because at least I'm aware that they were playing Miqo'te males. I admit I would have found it odd at first, but I'd have grown to accept it. I'm a person who prefers to RP with what we've been given in the world, but I know people like to extend upon that and that's fine.

Other people will change your story in ways you didn't expect, because they are not you, and you don't really get to dictate what they do, and do not do.

Again, this is the entire reason as to why I roleplay. People changing my story are what I want. But when a change happens that can't be explained IC and things need to be retconned, then I'd like to be told so I can amend my own history and anything else that needs to be changed.

If I was in an IC relationship with someone and they decided to retcon to a different gender or race I'd like to be told (not asked), so that I know anything that I need to change myself.

So is insinuating that someone is a "bad writer" with a smothering amount of passive-aggressiveness, then thumbing your nose at an argument that disagrees with your (frankly, strange) idea that roleplaying should be tidy and clean as a novel, and decreeing that it is "shallow."

I've already covered this quote further up, but I didn't say at all that I expect roleplay to be as tidy and clean as a novel, and the shallow quote is incredibly out of context. You can quote and match up random words to make an argument if you wish, but it's a pretty poor attempt at a point.

This is something I totally agree with and is the reason I absolutely adore roleplay, the wildcard aspect. Character's changing are what makes the hobby so much fun and I'm not disagreeing with that. A race change completely, however, is a little different to the average day in Roleplay. You wish to RP that Beatric was a Roegadyn female from the beginning, and I have nothing against that as I have said several times, as long as the stories you are involved in are aware that the history for said stories has been changed slightly.

You're not against it, but you made a big, long to-do about being against it? That doesn't work in any kind of rational world.

I've already covered this quote further up, but I didn't say at all that I expect roleplay to be as tidy and clean as a novel, and the shallow quote is incredibly out of context. You can quote and match up random words to make an argument if you wish, but it's a pretty poor attempt at a point.

This is not a road you want to go down with me. Because this is what happens when you do:

This is where you draw a direct line from roleplaying stories to books. Right here. Your words. So...y'know, yeah. You did. You said, in no uncertain terms, that your rubric is the composition known as a novel. I said this is a poor rubric. Then! You go on to say that the changes, by the measure that you said that you were using, being suggested were what you would consider "poor writing." Right up there. In bold.

When things are in text, you don't get to backpedal when you realize that your point isn't quite as solid as you had hoped. Be glib until the cows come home. But don't try this shit.

Let's now take a look at your little barb regarding how "shallow" things are:

Yep. Just as we left it. A crappy pot-shot.

My response:

English as a second (third, whatever) language be damned.

I'd also like to add that your entire post here has been discussed already. Retreading ground already covered serves little more than stirring the pot.

Nope, that's not out of context! That's a direct response to a statement. That you made. Referencing another statement you made (see the first quote in this series of rehashes for the reference!).

If you've got nothing to add to the conversation, save for...whatever this is, nothing is pressing you to toss these barbs out there. Nothing.

Ultimately, these responses have not been constructive. Retreading, and misplaced hostility, sure. But not constructive.

You wish to RP that Beatric was a Roegadyn female from the beginning, and I have nothing against that as I have said several times, as long as the stories you are involved in are aware that the history for said stories has been changed slightly.

That's the thing, though. I didn't have any intentions of what she'd be at the beginning. And as I have said several times, people have been notified, but even if I didn't tell 'em or they didn't accept it I'd still go ahead with it anyway, 'cause they're all adults and can handle a little change in a character that doesn't belong to them.

I understand that people are very worried about those that I interact with, but... It's been taken care of. And I promise you they can handle it. They could handle it even if I didn't tell them. I have faith in them. I believe.

You're not against it, but you made a big, long to-do about being against it? That doesn't work in any kind of rational world.

I made a big to-do against doing it without letting the people your character is involved with know about it. That's my issue, not the retconning to a different race itself.

This is where you draw a direct line from roleplaying stories to books. Right here. Your words. So...y'know, yeah. You did. You said, in no uncertain terms, that your rubric is the composition known as a novel. I said this is a poor rubric. Then! You go on to say that the changes, by the measure that you said thatyou were using, being suggested were what you would consider "poor writing." Right up there. In bold.

I'm not saying RP and a novel should be the same. What I am saying is that Roleplay is also the telling of a story. And there are some things stories should follow, no matter the format they are shown in, be it a novel, film or video game. Roleplay is a group of people telling a story through different characters. This is what I'm trying to get at with this comparison. I don't want some pre-made story for my Roleplay, I want other characters to change it up in unexpected ways that make sense. Retcons happen, retcons have even happened in some novels/films/games, but the audience is told that it's happened. They are given that warning.

Regarding the shallow quote, you seem to be thinking that I aimed that at all of Abodo's post. That wasn't what I was doing at all, hence why I quoted the specific line that I felt was shallow. I didn't quote his entire post and label it as shallow, because he had some points that I replied to. So if I didn't make it clear that I was only aiming the 'shallow' point at that one line (even though I did quote the specific line), then that's my mistake I suppose.

Ultimately, these responses have not been constructive. Retreading, and misplaced hostility, sure. But not constructive.

Hostility was never my intention and I have apologised to Beatric in my previous post as I didn't mean to cause offence with what was said.

Retreading, perhaps, but I am expressing my opinion on a public forum that is meant for discussion, just like everyone else.

I understand that people are very worried about those that I interact with, but... It's been taken care of. And I promise you they can handle it. They could handle it even if I didn't tell them. I have faith in them. I believe.

Which is great and all I was trying to get at! :D I only wanted to share that if someone close and involved in my own RP story was going to do something, I'd just want them to let me know. I look forward to seeing Beatric in ARR! :)

I'm not saying RP and a novel should be the same. What I am saying is that Roleplay is also the telling of a story. And there are some things stories should follow, no matter the format they are shown in, be it a novel, film or video game. Roleplay is a group of people telling a story through different characters. This is what I'm trying to get at with this comparison. I don't want some pre-made story for my Roleplay, I want other characters to change it up in unexpected ways that make sense. Retcons happen, retcons have even happened in some novels/films/games, but the audience is told that it's happened. They are given that warning.

But, again, this isn't a book, so you aren't entitled to that warning. Which is what I had said before.

Also, since roleplaying =/= novels, this measure is still a poor one to use. And it'll be a poor one to use if you bring it up again.

Regarding the shallow quote, you seem to be thinking that I aimed that at all of Abodo's post. That wasn't what I was doing at all, hence why I quoted the specific line that I felt was shallow. I didn't quote his entire post and label it as shallow, because he had some points that I replied to. So if I didn't make it clear that I was only aiming the 'shallow' point at that one line (even though I did quote the specific line), then that's my mistake I suppose.

No, I think you were responding to exactly what you responded to, and I will again remind you that there's no substance in thumbing your nose at a medium for not being like, or adhering to the same rules as another medium.

The argument is shallow.

Hostility was never my intention and I have apologised to Beatric in my previous post as I didn't mean to cause offence with what was said.

By your own protest, would this not also be a shallow statement?

Retreading, perhaps, but I am expressing my opinion on a public forum that is meant for discussion, just like everyone else.

Still not the original point of discussion. Still. No matter how free you feel with your opinion, you missed the entire point of the discussion that was meant to take place by the person who made the thread, and instead opted to get in on...I don't know. I don't know what the point of this was.

*snip*

*snip*

*brings out his ruler* Now, now. Break it up you two. The thread is being derailed enough as it is. And Beatric already came to her choice. I advice to take this between you two through pm's as it will only lead into a small innocent ember to eventually turn into a forest fire. ;)

There seems to be lot of reading between the lines or misinterpreting someone's words or sentence around here though. So let's all take a few steps back, think about something else and move on.

I'm not changing Rhostel's clan so much as making her the Highlander she always was.

I'm also probably going to take two alts, who I never, ever roleplayed, not even having strong ideas about backgrounds for them in fact, and change them into the two alts that I do have ideas for. I'd start from scratch, but I got those two their own goobbues, and that's awesome.

(For the record, Dunesfolk female and Keeper of the Moon female (who was originally created with the intent of being turned male) into Sea Wolf female and Elezen (not deciding on clan until I get to the character creator) male. Probably in respective order, because the Lala was a 30 PUG, a class I want for the Roe, and the Miqo was a 30 ARC, a class I want for the Ele.)

I don't care what anyone else does. I'm always ready to roll with the punches. :)

I'm not changing Rhostel's clan so much as making her the Highlander she always was.

Ohlala! You're the first person I've seen going for a female Highlander and I'm glad! I personally think they're the more interesting of the two Hyur. I love their character shape, size and just... everything. So, hooray!

I don't care what anyone else does. I'm always ready to roll with the punches. :)

Haha, no kidding, right? :P