My impression on fxiv and the rp community

On 5/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ria Regulus said:

Dead thread but lord has finding RP been rough

I have a straight character as well that has little to no interest in her as well.
I, personally, am plethora of words regarding sexual identity and gender identity.
Not all of my characters are this way, and I've noticed the only ones who garner much attention, regardless of how *well written* or diverse they are, are the gay characters.

I've tried starting FCs, running events, developing stories but I just *cant* seem to locate more than one or two people who want consistant, genuine, Non ERP RP.
It's gotten so baffling. 
People seem to hate Dice Rolls
People seem to hate Adventures or Events

People seem to hate plot lines that take longer that 4 minutes and less than 8 months 
People dont like systematic ranks or organization

What people DO like, it seems, is ERP and Club RP, and not much else.

It seems like the only thing *I* have been able to personally run across is the same types of RPers
Lurkers who only participate via Discord and barely *ever* Roleplay at all
People who want to Social RP maybe once a week or so and nothing further
People who get bored of XIV after a few weeks and switch between like 50 games
And the ERPers who want to fly straightaway into the hot tub.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is this just Balmung?
Is RP dying or am I just having the worst possible luck?
It's been like, around six or seven months like this now.

I would say keep at it. The RP you're looking for does exist, even if it means sorting through all the kinds you're not looking for to find it. Unfortunately I don't really know the secret trick to finding it. But I do my FC has been running 1 - 3 RP events almost every week lately, including combat and adventure events with dice rolls, often as a part of a larger story arc, and sometimes we have to limit attendance for the DM's sanity. Trying to find an FC or Discord community that is aimed at this sort of RP or hosts it regularly may be the best place to start.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ria Regulus said:

I have a straight character as well that has little to no interest in her as well.
I, personally, am plethora of words regarding sexual identity and gender identity.
Not all of my characters are this way, and I've noticed the only ones who garner much attention, regardless of how *well written* or diverse they are, are the gay characters.

I've tried starting FCs, running events, developing stories but I just *cant* seem to locate more than one or two people who want consistant, genuine, Non ERP RP.
It's gotten so baffling. 

People seem to hate plot lines that take longer that 4 minutes and less than 8 months 

It seems like the only thing *I* have been able to personally run across is the same types of RPers

Is this just Balmung?

Like you, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for FCs and players to RP with for a little over a year now on Mateus with basically no luck (tl;dr grass is greener on the other side, matty's no better than balmung in this respect) but generally speaking I only have myself to blame for it.

I'm picky about what I want, the vibe I'm looking for, the themes I'm after, and very few people have "clicked", as it were. On a positive note, the few people I *have* found are great writers and have not a care in the world that I play only lalafells or do 95% of my RP on discord. 

It's not wrong to want something done a certain way or to just have a different vibe from everyone else. Just means that you have to work a lot harder to find samesies. It isn't your luck; you've done nothing "wrong"- the game is just not the place you thought it was. Adjust your expectations, get creative with how you put yourself out there, accept that your friend group will be small, and things may start to feel a little better. ^-^

Edited by vindoodles
On 5/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ria Regulus said:

It's gotten so baffling. 

Is this just Balmung?

Oh boy that's a call back. Ironically I ended up having a lot of the same problems.

To tl;dr it I looked for discord rp because I had weird times and type slow and figured nobody would want that for in-game. I would find like 1 person every couple months then they'd bail after one scene so I switched to in-game after someone who wanted to ship with my character wanted to drop discord as well. They bailed on me when someone willing to ship with them came along and was constantly around jumping in every scene they could. I switched characters after that feeling nobody liked the previous one. From that point I mostly hung around the QS as it's the one open all the time RP hub and the story is mostly the same. I got a walk up maybe once a month but nobody came by for more than one or two scenes. These events took place over the course of about 4 years btw.

The happy end to all this was someone who did walk up one night wanted to go somewhere out of the QS which instantly got me way more hopeful. They also wanted to finish the scene later instead of cutting it off prematurely when they had to go. I lowkey forced an exchange of discord information for the purposes of keeping in touch. Several events happened that lead to actually finishing the scene for once and after learning where our schedules lined up and finding we had things in common I finally had a long term partner and new friend.

I don't have a secret to success here. It took me 4 years, a lot of pain, and honestly a fair amount of luck with being in the right place at the right time. I didn't find a four leaf clover I found a unicorn. All I can really say is your struggle is something a lot of us deal with and to constantly put yourself out there. When you get too discouraged take a break. Play a different game or focus on other parts of this one.

Best advice I can give, if nobody is rping your interests, then set up your own space and people will come to you.   Our FC is a close knit group of friends, great writers, and we're all on the same page writing.  We essentially built up our own rp space and I do not regret any of it.  Random rp is flakey at best.

Genuinely starting to feel like there aren't any spaces that I feel either comfortable with, or with the writing level I want! It seems like making your own space can be a hard step to take. Do you have any reccomendations? Was it hard to establish or vet people? Just curious! Ty if you read this <3

On 5/31/2022 at 9:49 AM, Mua Viras said:

Best advice I can give, if nobody is rping your interests, then set up your own space and people will come to you.   Our FC is a close knit group of friends, great writers, and we're all on the same page writing.  We essentially built up our own rp space and I do not regret any of it.  Random rp is flakey at best.

Been trying to do that for a very long time now, and it seems like on Balmung it just isn't feesable anymore to make new FCs. 

On 5/30/2022 at 7:18 PM, Mermaid said:

Oh boy that's a call back. Ironically I ended up having a lot of the same problems.

To tl;dr it I looked for discord rp because I had weird times and type slow and figured nobody would want that for in-game. I would find like 1 person every couple months then they'd bail after one scene so I switched to in-game after someone who wanted to ship with my character wanted to drop discord as well. They bailed on me when someone willing to ship with them came along and was constantly around jumping in every scene they could. I switched characters after that feeling nobody liked the previous one. From that point I mostly hung around the QS as it's the one open all the time RP hub and the story is mostly the same. I got a walk up maybe once a month but nobody came by for more than one or two scenes. These events took place over the course of about 4 years btw.

The happy end to all this was someone who did walk up one night wanted to go somewhere out of the QS which instantly got me way more hopeful. They also wanted to finish the scene later instead of cutting it off prematurely when they had to go. I lowkey forced an exchange of discord information for the purposes of keeping in touch. Several events happened that lead to actually finishing the scene for once and after learning where our schedules lined up and finding we had things in common I finally had a long term partner and new friend.

I don't have a secret to success here. It took me 4 years, a lot of pain, and honestly a fair amount of luck with being in the right place at the right time. I didn't find a four leaf clover I found a unicorn. All I can really say is your struggle is something a lot of us deal with and to constantly put yourself out there. When you get too discouraged take a break. Play a different game or focus on other parts of this one.

Yeah, Unfortunately it looks like some time away from XIV is really the only answer :( It's heartbreaking but it's beginning I have to pick between if I want to stay around XIV, or be able to go somewhere I can find RP outside of Tea Time/Cafe and ERP, unless I pray for years to find one or two partners floating alongside me in the abyss. 

I'm very saddened by this, and unsure how XIV got to this point with RP.