Racially curious

Grike

Really I’m just interested in how you guys think the different races would react to each other on a cultural level. There are enough differences to make role playing pretty interesting so I wanted to know, how will your character interact with other races whose ways of life are so different from their own? Or even just separate clans?

For example my character, a Male Miqo’te Sunseeker named K’haz gets really...twitchy around female Hyur. The concept of dating is beyond him as well as marriage. He really can’t wrap his mind around the whole marriage thing and sees it all as some elaborate trap cooked up by the female mind to ensnare unsuspecting males into willing servitude. Every time he spots a wedding ring he can’t help but feel sorry for the poor bastard chained to the other end of it.

So what about you guys? Do any of your characters suffer from any cultural blocks or quirks?

My character Reese has a thing for Miqo, Hyur and Elezen women, funny enough a very pretty effeminate male of any of these races could get his attention despite him being almost alpha male in a lot of his personality (just without the jerk aspects of an alpha male and he can be a little shy at times).

He also wouldn't react to well if hit on by a masculine male like himself, not in a fighting way he'd just probably freeze. For him that would be a bit too strange, as he believes in roles.

He would feel weird if hit on by a Roegadyn or Lalafell female or male, not reacting In a mean way just blushing and not really knowing how to react.

All in all though he sees all races as the same and doesn't have any aversions to anyone in particular when it comes to mortal races. Demons and dragons are another story.

Oh and Garleans, he wishes to introduce Gaius without his face piece to his knees, fist, elbows and forehead.

I think I get it. Reese is the kind of guy who likes holding the 'male' role in a relationship. I wonder how he would do with the keepers of the moon who seem to have a heavy matriarchal society. Or any kind of society that would force him to play the more submissive role. 

It's pretty interesting.

I think I get it. Reese is the kind of guy who likes holding the 'male' role in a relationship. I wonder how he would do with the keepers of the moon who seem to have a heavy matriarchal society. Or any kind of society that would force him to play the more submissive role. 

It's pretty interesting.

He wouldn't be able to handle it and couldn't do the relationship as it would ruin his perception of roles, and don't get me wrong its not like he wouldn't want a strong partner per se, its that they would have to let him have his role.

A keeper of the moon female and himself would probably never work if she is traditional.

Eva (duskwight elezen female) regards most of the races and genders pretty much the same, tending to draw her opinions more on the way they conduct themselves than what they look like - she was also relatively frumpy and unattractive for most of her life so she does not put physical appearance on any sort of pedestal.

This unprejudiced view manifests itself in her despite growing up in a household with a father who exhibited somewhat racist tendencies (generally against miqo'te).  His racism is less a product of any sort of hatred than it was a factor of his upbringing and "that's just how things were back then" in his culture.  Eva is happy to call a number of miqo'te good friends and sort of thinks that aspect of her father's persona was a bit silly and misguided.  She and her father seldom saw eye to eye on many things though.

If we're talking about physical attraction (touched upon this a bit in the intimacy poll), she generally keeps to her own race when considering a mate.  There were issues in the past when a former lover was Wildwood and not Duskwight (from both families).  She is also often inexplicably attracted to roegadyn men.

Eva (duskwight elezen female) regards most of the races and genders pretty much the same, tending to draw her opinions more on the way they conduct themselves than what they look like - she was also relatively frumpy and unattractive for most of her life so she does not put physical appearance on any sort of pedestal.

This unprejudiced view manifests itself in her despite growing up in a household with a father who exhibited somewhat racist tendencies (generally against miqo'te).  His racism is less a product of any sort of hatred than it was a factor of his upbringing and "that's just how things were back then" in his culture.  Eva is happy to call a number of miqo'te good friends and sort of thinks that aspect of her father's persona was a bit silly and misguided.  She and her father seldom saw eye to eye on many things though.

If we're talking about physical attraction (touched upon this a bit in the intimacy poll), she generally keeps to her own race when considering a mate.  There were issues in the past when a former lover was Wildwood and not Duskwight (from both families).  She is also often inexplicably attracted to roegadyn men.

Yeah, from what little I know of your character she seems pretty open minded - which is understandable because I believe she is a nurse (right?)

But my question is: What about any misconceptions your character might have about the cultures of other races? Though K'haz has been involved with other races he's still ignorant to some of their culture, which could lead to a few social blunders here and there. 

For example K'haz comes from a tribal culture so the intricacies of court would escape him. If someone is doing bad things and everyone knows it you leave him stranded out in the middle of the desert - end of story. However not getting rid of some higher up because he has influence? K'haz doesn't get that. This can cause some tension between races that value political rank and noble blood as he just doesn't see the point of it. He grew up among a people where the strongest survived and got to pass on there genetics - not who had the noblest blood.

Ah, yes.  I think I misunderstood and was going by some of the responses so far.  And yes, among other things Eva is a trained nurse/midwife.

She is also a few generations removed from her original culture, so she's spent the entirety of her life away from her clan's place of origin.  A lot of traditions have been passed down, but she didn't fully understand it until recently when she went back to the caverns from where her great-grandfather had "ascended" and visited with those whom were distant cousins.

As far as other cultures go, she's lived in the melting pot that is Eorzea amongst the other races for most of her life.  She was a bit sheltered for most of it, living in Gridania and spending a lot of time reading books where she worked.  But the past few years have opened her eyes and while it might be dangerous to say nothing would surprise her, it's probably not too far off.  She doesn't know the specifics of miqo'te or roegadyn cultures other than what she's been told by others and their own more specific histories.  Even other duskwight cultures that have been described to her are foreign to what she grew up with.

One thing that I did just think of is that she was brought up believing devotion and loyalty to one's mate is the most sacred of bonds, and to betray that trust is the worst kind of sin one can commit.  So she does get confused by some of the more tribal things such as the taking of more than one mate, or open marriages, or spousal betrayal and infidelity and things like that bother her on a much deeper level than they might others.  For her loyalty is paramount.

I'm rambling now though...  :angel:

Ah, yes.  I think I misunderstood and was going by some of the responses so far.  And yes, among other things Eva is a trained nurse/midwife.

She is also a few generations removed from her original culture, so she's spent the entirety of her life away from her clan's place of origin.  A lot of traditions have been passed down, but she didn't fully understand it until recently when she went back to the caverns from where her great-grandfather had "ascended" and visited with those whom were distant cousins.

As far as other cultures go, she's lived in the melting pot that is Eorzea amongst the other races for most of her life.  She was a bit sheltered for most of it, living in Gridania and spending a lot of time reading books where she worked.  But the past few years have opened her eyes and while it might be dangerous to say nothing would surprise her, it's probably not too far off.  She doesn't know the specifics of miqo'te or roegadyn cultures other than what she's been told by others and their own more specific histories.  Even other duskwight cultures that have been described to her are foreign to what she grew up with.

One thing that I did just think of is that she was brought up believing devotion and loyalty to one's mate is the most sacred of bonds, and to betray that trust is the worst kind of sin one can commit.  So she does get confused by some of the more tribal things such as the taking of more than one mate, or open marriages, or spousal betrayal and infidelity and things like that bother her on a much deeper level than they might others.  For her loyalty is paramount.

I'm rambling now though...  :angel:

Lol, I don't mind the rambling if it's always that interesting. 

I could see Eva and K'haz butting heads a lot, even if they're both healers. Loyalty to a spouse he can understand to a certain point (providing for her health, protecting her, etc.) but only if it benefits the whole clan. Tribal culture is generally a very collective society and the health of the tribe is more important than any individual needs. Only mating with one female when males are so few would seem selfish to him.

I'm sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should change the thread's title?

Uther was raised by a half-breed Hyur, so he was taught to respect all other races. That being said, he is from Ishgard which is a pretty backward place, so he has a few weird quirks when it comes to race.

Being very knightly and classically chivalrous, Uther can't really relate to the Keepers of the Moon's matriarchal society. This isn't because he belittles women, his sister is as strong and fast as he is. It's just not how the roles work in his culture. At the same time, he also doesn't understand the Seeker of the Sun tradition of one male taking many female mates. He very much believes in strong, mutual dedication between two partners. He doesn't belittle Lalafells either (pun intended...), but he will assume they are scholarly and physically inept upon first meeting them. On the other side of the coin though, when he meets a Lalafell with great combat prowess he is doubly impressed.

As for attraction, Uther tends to be attracted to Elezen females for their elegant form and mannerisms. He has also been attracted to Midlander women and rarely he'll be attracted to a Miqo'te or two, but not often. He shies away from Roegadyn females because of his sense of roles (which was discussed by Rock earlier), and Lalafell females because... well he's a grown man and that's gross.

Really though, he's cool with all races for the most-part. He even has a son (that he doesn't know about) who is 1/8th Highlander, 3/8ths Midlander, 1/4th Duskwight, and 1/4th Wildwood, if that's any indicator.

It's important to keep in mind that for most people Eorzea is a melting pot and racial tension is pretty low.

For purposes of avoiding confusion, I'll add this in:

Skald Skystrider (1/2 Midlander, 1/2 Highlander) and his wife (Midlander) gave birth to Uther Skystrider (1/4 Highlander, 3/4 Midlander). Uther had a child with Igraine Jevoux (1/2 Duskwight, 1/2 Wildwood). The child was Bedivere Windborne (1/8 Highlander, 3/8 Midlander, 1/4 Duskwight, 1/4 Wildwood)..... The kid probably looks like a freak :P

Uther was raised by a half-breed Hyur, so he was taught to respect all other races. That being said, he is from Ishgard which is a pretty backward place, so he has a few weird quirks when it comes to race.

Being very knightly and classically chivalrous, Uther can't really relate to the Keepers of the Moon's matriarchal society. This isn't because he belittles women, his sister is as strong and fast as he is. It's just not how the roles work in his culture. At the same time, he also doesn't understand the Seeker of the Sun tradition of one male taking many female mates. He very much believes in strong, mutual dedication between two partners. He doesn't belittle Lalafells either (pun intended...), but he will assume they are scholarly and physically inept upon first meeting them. On the other side of the coin though, when he meets a Lalafell with great combat prowess he is doubly impressed.

As for attraction, Uther tends to be attracted to Elezen females for their elegant form and mannerisms. He has also been attracted to Midlander women and rarely he'll be attracted to a Miqo'te or two, but not often. He shies away from Roegadyn females because of his sense of roles (which was discussed by Rock earlier), and Lalafell females because... well he's a grown man and that's gross.

Really though, he's cool with all races for the most-part. He even has a son (that he doesn't know about) who is 1/8th Highlander, 3/8ths Midlander, 1/4th Duskwight, and 1/4th Wildwood, if that's any indicator.

It's important to keep in mind that for most people Eorzea is a melting pot and racial tension is pretty low.

Skald Skystrider (1/2 Midlander, 1/2 Highlander) and his wife (Midlander) gave birth to Uther Skystrider (1/4 Highlander, 3/4 Midlander). Uther had a child with Igraine Jevoux (1/2 Duskwight, 1/2 Wildwood). The child was Bedivere Windborne (1/8 Highlander, 3/8 Midlander, 1/4 Duskwight, 1/4 Wildwood)..... The kid probably looks like a freak :P

Man that kid is going to have one messed up family tree. Though you are right about the melting pot thing which actually makes me wonder what is Garleans view on other races?

Do they have them? Because so far they all look Hyur to me.

Man that kid is going to have one messed up family tree.

You have no idea. Great fan fiction stuff in the works. :lol:

But I don't mean to get the thread off topic. Back to what you were saying...

Man that kid is going to have one messed up family tree. Though you are right about the melting pot thing which actually makes me wonder what is Garleans view on other races?

Do they have them? Because so far they all look Hyur to me.

Man that kid is going to have one messed up family tree.

You have no idea. Great fan fiction story in the works. :lol:

But I don't mean to get the thread off topic. Back to what you were saying...

Actually something just occurred to me. Is Eorzea a perfectly melted stew or are their a few chunky bits in that pot? You actually see some of it in the City States. In Uld'ah all the 'dancers' were mostly female Miqo'te which I bet are as sought after as Asari in Mass Effect. Also Lalafells seemed to hold higher positions in Ul'dah while the Elezen seemed more prominent in Gridania (haven't been to the other one yet.)

And what about stereotypes? Like say Miqo'te are believed to be better suited for whore houses because of their appearance and promiscuous culture. Lalafell might be viewed as cheapskates and swindlers. Elezen are a bunch of uppity tree huggers. The Hyur think they rule the world just because they breed like rats, while the...crap forgot the name (Sea wolves and Hellsguard) are nothing but a bunch of giant dumb brutes. 

Heh, stereotyping is fun.

Ryanti was born in the upper class society of Ul'Dah, where there were certain kinds of procedures and traditions that you had to follow. He's a halfbreed, his father being a Midlander Hyur. His father was Ryanti's role model, considering that he was a war hero in the Immortal Flames, and always seemed to be away when he needed him most.

He loves his mother, but feels like he can't relate to her. Like he can't connect to her. He never liked the fact that he wasn't born a full blooded race. He never liked the fact that he had Miqo'te ears and a Miqo'te tail.

He has a fascination and a determination to be like his dad. He looks like his dad, except for the Miqo'te racial traits. But that gets to him. He got bullied when he was younger because of it.

Ryanti believes that all races are able to live with one another alright, but he also believes that all races behave differently, and think differently. That's why he believes they have such different cultures, that evolution is driving them to different places.

Ryanti feels like he can't completely relate to Hyur culture and mannerisms because of his Miqo'te side, and he believes that prevents him from embracing the culture he was raised around. Even though, from the outside looking in, he's extremely familiar with urban culture. He would never want to be with his Miqo'te 'origin' culture. He feels like he is a refined individual, and somebody whom believes in progress and technology and dreaming for the future. He does not like anything tribal.

He feels disgusted with himself for having that 'side of him' in his DNA. He feels polluted and impure because he's a half breed. He would of preferred being a pure blooded Miqo'te, or especially a pure blooded Hyur. A pure blooded anything. He's not, so it gets to him.

He's not so much disgusted with tribal Miqo'te as he is.. disappointed. He feels like their achievements pale compared to the deeds of men. That they are far behind. But he also wants to be proven wrong, so that he could feel better about that side of himself.

Hope that makes sense.

And what about stereotypes? Like say Miqo'te are believed to be better suited for whore houses because of their appearance and promiscuous culture. Lalafell might be viewed as cheapskates and swindlers. Elezen are a bunch of uppity tree huggers. The Hyur think they rule the world just because they breed like rats, while the...crap forgot the name (Sea wolves and Hellsguard) are nothing but a bunch of giant dumb brutes. 

Some city-states are more prone to be populated by certain races. Ul'dah was founded by Dunesfolk Lalafell and a lot of Highlander refugees from Ala Mhigo live there. Gridania is populated mostly by Wildwood Elezen and Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te. Limsa is predominantly occupied by Sea Wolves, etc. There are a few more I'm forgetting (Hellsguard works as Ul'dahn mercenaries is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.)

As for stereotypes, I'm not too familiar with them but I know Elezen are seen as snobby and rude while I think Dunesfolk are seen as thrifty and frugal. Those are the only ones I can remember.

Ryanti was born in the upper class society of Ul'Dah, where there were certain kinds of procedures and traditions that you had to follow. He's a halfbreed, his father being a Midlander Hyur. His father was Ryanti's role model, considering that he was a war hero in the Immortal Flames, and always seemed to be away when he needed him most.

He loves his mother, but feels like he can't relate to her. Like he can't connect to her. He never liked the fact that he wasn't born a full blooded race. He never liked the fact that he had Miqo'te ears and a Miqo'te tail.

He has a fascination and a determination to be like his dad. He looks like his dad, except for the Miqo'te racial traits. But that gets to him. He got bullied when he was younger because of it.

Ryanti believes that all races are able to live with one another alright, but he also believes that all races behave differently, and think differently. That's why he believes they have such different cultures, that evolution is driving them to different places.

Ryanti feels like he can't completely relate to Hyur culture and mannerisms because of his Miqo'te side, and he believes that prevents him from embracing the culture he was raised around. Even though, from the outside looking in, he's extremely familiar with urban culture. He would never want to be with his Miqo'te 'origin' culture. He feels like he is a refined individual, and somebody whom believes in progress and technology and dreaming for the future. He does not like anything tribal.

He feels disgusted with himself for having that 'side of him' in his DNA. He feels polluted and impure because he's a half breed. He would of preferred being a pure blooded Miqo'te, or especially a pure blooded Hyur. A pure blooded anything. He's not, so it gets to him.

He's not so much disgusted with tribal Miqo'te as he is.. disappointed. He feels like their achievements pale compared to the deeds of men. That they are far behind. But he also wants to be proven wrong, so that he could feel better about that side of himself.

Hope that makes sense.

This is beautiful. Truly an interesting character.

K'haz grew up among his tribesmen but has been living in civilization for about...ten years I think? At first he thought it was ridiculous (like fountains. Do you know how much water that wastes!? And what is gold really? It's shiny yes, but you can't eat it. And what the hell is with this government? Someone just strand these idiots in the desert already!) But then he saw the tech, the advancement in medicine (he's a healer so that's a big thing for him), and other comforts (The twelve bless whoever invented chocolate.)

In short, he's become tamed. And he's not sure whether or not he hates himself for it.

K'haz grew up among his tribesmen but has been living in civilization for about...ten years I think? At first he thought it was ridiculous (like fountains. Do you know how much water that wastes!? And what is gold really? It's shiny yes, but you can't eat it. And what the hell is with this government? Someone just strand these idiots in the desert already!) But then he saw the tech, the advancement in medicine (he's a healer so that's a big thing for him), and other comforts (The twelve bless whoever invented chocolate.)

In short, he's become tamed. And he's not sure whether or not he hates himself for it.

First of all, thank you! :love:

Secondly, yeah.. that's pretty much a prime example of what one of Ryanti's pet peeves are. I would take your character first seeing the city as a prime example of what he detests about Miqo'tes. He would think "You don't get it, your brain is incompetent of thinking beyond feeding and pissing and I can't stand having half the blood of them in me!"

However, if he met a more... civil Miqo'te, or an intellectual Miqo'te with tribal beliefs that was yet, in his eyes, fully educated (for example: Manari Onai) he's a lot more ...curious. And more of a pleasant person.

You could say he is a scientifically and emotionally curious individual. He has a fascination for the unknown.

First of all, thank you! :love:

Secondly, yeah.. that's pretty much a prime example of what one of Ryanti's pet peeves are. I would take your character first seeing the city as a prime example of what he detests about Miqo'tes. He would think "You don't get it, your brain is incompetent of thinking beyond feeding and pissing and I can't stand having half the blood of them in me!"

However, if he met a more... civil Miqo'te, or an intellectual Miqo'te with tribal beliefs that was yet, in his eyes, fully educated (for example: Manari Onai) he's a lot more ...curious. And more of a pleasant person.

You could say he is a scientifically and emotionally curious individual. He has a fascination for the unknown.

Oh god we have got to roleplay together. You're character is everything K'haz is afraid of becoming.

Rhynka isn't fond of city miqo'te. She is open minded and willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. She has no tolerance unprovoked disrespect and will return it eagerly no matter what race is the culprit is.

Although Razamir is her "Nuhn" (It's more of a marriage their grasp on their traditions is quite loose), it's a bond of mutual loyalty, and love (He did lose one of his eyes protecting her after all). Considering her sometimes cranky composure her soft heart nature has lead her to accept many misfits into their clan, and at times can over look race in very special circumstances. Being a pariah herself she understands the need for community in the wilderness of any land and empathy for those forsaken pokes her conscience ruthlessly.

Despite being exiled from the clan of her birth Rhynka never broke down to take permanent refuge in any of the city states. So, aside from her slightly low opinion of Miqo'te who she feels opt for a comfortable life in the city Rhynka can always be proven wrong. She keeps her eyes and ears open, and being wrong in her sometimes misguided assumptions proves to be pleasant (If not amusing) and humbling.

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I was just talking about with my mentor! They never really talk about this in the creator descriptions but you see in the game reflected on how NPC's talk and act. Since I am new to Final Fantasy I am excited to see this thread! Please keep this going :)

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I was just talking about with my mentor! They never really talk about this in the creator descriptions but you see in the game reflected on how NPC's talk and act. Since I am new to Final Fantasy I am excited to see this thread! Please keep this going :)

I'll do my best! 

Hmm I wonder how many cat jokes, Miqo'te get? Wait...does Eorzea have cats?

Being a sailor, Dogberry has had a lot of experience with people. Still, Lalafell kind of perplex him. He basically sees them as glorified moogles. That's not to say he wouldn't respect a showing a strength from one. It's just going to take a lot for Dogberry to realize that a Lalafell is a person just like he is. He might come off as condescending without realizing or meaning it.