Racially curious

Grike

And what about stereotypes? Like say Miqo'te are believed to be better suited for whore houses because of their appearance and promiscuous culture. Lalafell might be viewed as cheapskates and swindlers. Elezen are a bunch of uppity tree huggers. The Hyur think they rule the world just because they breed like rats, while the...crap forgot the name (Sea wolves and Hellsguard) are nothing but a bunch of giant dumb brutes. 

Heh, stereotyping is fun.

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I was just talking about with my mentor! They never really talk about this in the creator descriptions but you see in the game reflected on how NPC's talk and act. Since I am new to Final Fantasy I am excited to see this thread! Please keep this going :)

I'll do my best! 

Hmm I wonder how many cat jokes, Miqo'te get? Wait...does Eorzea have cats?

Well meow I don't think Eorzea has cats...Cat sith?

To Vash Lalafell kinda urk him since he likes talk to people eye to eye so he would probably do a lot of /sit to get on their level. Also the hyur kinda bother him just because the look like the Miqote minus the cat ears and a tail./ear twitch.Although Vash does silently despise the Eelvan as they seem a bit like most of them act like they are the best race. Other than that Vash is not open abut his feelings about other races and his opinion changes depending on the people he meets so just because someone is that race doesn't mean I wont like you kupo!

Yes, Eorzea has cats (and dogs). There are NPCs of other races who I have seen refer to Miqo'te as kittens, so I'm sure there are jokes. My own character tends to take offense to those jokes, but I'm not sure if NPC Miqo'te do. Some may just milk it for what it's worth to get what they want out of someone. The ones who are more tribal in nature also use words that are more animal-associated (mane, for example, for hair), so it's not really surprising that some NPCs just see them as another kind of cat. :P

The racial differences in this game are interesting. While Eorzea is a melting pot, the races still appear pure, which has always lead me to believe that when they do interbreed the child will take the main race/clan trait of one or the other parent. You don't see Lalafells with cat tails, or even something like a Miqo'te who is clearly a Keeper of the Moon by skin tone with slitted pupils.

Culturally, there are plenty of stereotypes, as you've noticed the dancing/prostituting Miqo'te thing - however there are plenty that do not adhere to them as well (and there are Hyur prostitutes too! I found some! :P). SE has said one of the reasons that the reason cross-breeds are rare is due to cultural differences between the races. It would be hard, I imagine, for a traditional tribal Miqo'te to marry someone they love, when she grew up in a society in which there is one male to thirty females? As Rhynka pointed out, there are indeed "city Miqo'te" from what I've seen.

There's also plenty of racism between races, which is incredibly entertaining to me to see in quest lines. One that comes to mind because I just saw it the other day during beta was the Wildwood Elezen who was incredibly disgusted by a Keeper of the Moon's archery. Saying she was not fit to use a bow, desecrating his noble art, etc. Plenty of tolerance though, too..

My own character I made intentionally distant from the "traditional" Miqo'te, because when I created her I had no lore to use and didn't want to just hijack the lore from XI. Upon finding out that's what SE did, I decided her grandparents were the ones who left the tribal life. I had her grow up on a boat, with her mother and a bunch of sailors, mostly Hyur. She sought out other Miqo'te when she went to the adventuring life. Since meeting many and seeing how many of those of her race are, she has developed a dislike of them. And the males, she's always disliked (daddy issues+meeting some rather unsavory ones in RP). Which is hard, because she was raised to be proud of being a Miqo'te.

..I'm completely rambling. But seeing people embrace racial differences in this game is something I really like. :)

Only mating with one female when males are so few would seem selfish to him.

I saw at least a hundred male mi'quotes in Ul'dah during the beta test... maybe they just don't like women?

Aldeus was raised by a Hyur.  Even though he's an Elezen, he knows very little about Elezen culture.  He looks at himself and others through the lense of a Hyur perspective.  He doesn't care much for mi'quote promiscuity, nor the brutish behavior of Roegadyn.  He'll give everyone a fair shake though, except Garleans.  He's ashamed of himself for it, but he really hates them.  He's from Ala Mhigo.

Also, still not sure what a Lalafell is.  Some kind of breakfast pastry?

You know... I don't think Abaigeal really pays much attention. She treats everyone the same...at least i think she does. >_O I could be wrong. But most of the people she has associated with thus far (or in the Soliloquy Tavern Skype chat thing) She tends to get along with everyone.

I saw at least a hundred male mi'quotes in Ul'dah during the beta test... maybe they just don't like women?

Aldeus was raised by a Hyur.  Even though he's an Elezen, he knows very little about Elezen culture.  He looks at himself and others through the lense of a Hyur perspective.  He doesn't care much for mi'quote promiscuity, nor the brutish behavior of Roegadyn.  He'll give everyone a fair shake though, except Garleans.  He's ashamed of himself for it, but he really hates them.  He's from Ala Mhigo.

Also, still not sure what a Lalafell is.  Some kind of breakfast pastry?

Gods don't remind me. Personally I'm just pretending that the lot of them are just a bunch of guys pretending to Miqo'te in hopes of getting a harem of female cat girls...which probably isn't too far off base.

Also the Lalafell are the midget race, aren't they?

Yes, Eorzea has cats (and dogs). There are NPCs of other races who I have seen refer to Miqo'te as kittens, so I'm sure there are jokes. My own character tends to take offense to those jokes, but I'm not sure if NPC Miqo'te do. Some may just milk it for what it's worth to get what they want out of someone. The ones who are more tribal in nature also use words that are more animal-associated (mane, for example, for hair), so it's not really surprising that some NPCs just see them as another kind of cat. :P

The racial differences in this game are interesting. While Eorzea is a melting pot, the races still appear pure, which has always lead me to believe that when they do interbreed the child will take the main race/clan trait of one or the other parent. You don't see Lalafells with cat tails, or even something like a Miqo'te who is clearly a Keeper of the Moon by skin tone with slitted pupils.

Culturally, there are plenty of stereotypes, as you've noticed the dancing/prostituting Miqo'te thing - however there are plenty that do not adhere to them as well (and there are Hyur prostitutes too! I found some! :P). SE has said one of the reasons that the reason cross-breeds are rare is due to cultural differences between the races. It would be hard, I imagine, for a traditional tribal Miqo'te to marry someone they love, when she grew up in a society in which there is one male to thirty females? As Rhynka pointed out, there are indeed "city Miqo'te" from what I've seen.

There's also plenty of racism between races, which is incredibly entertaining to me to see in quest lines. One that comes to mind because I just saw it the other day during beta was the Wildwood Elezen who was incredibly disgusted by a Keeper of the Moon's archery. Saying she was not fit to use a bow, desecrating his noble art, etc. Plenty of tolerance though, too..

My own character I made intentionally distant from the "traditional" Miqo'te, because when I created her I had no lore to use and didn't want to just hijack the lore from XI. Upon finding out that's what SE did, I decided her grandparents were the ones who left the tribal life. I had her grow up on a boat, with her mother and a bunch of sailors, mostly Hyur. She sought out other Miqo'te when she went to the adventuring life. Since meeting many and seeing how many of those of her race are, she has developed a dislike of them. And the males, she's always disliked (daddy issues+meeting some rather unsavory ones in RP). Which is hard, because she was raised to be proud of being a Miqo'te.

..I'm completely rambling. But seeing people embrace racial differences in this game is something I really like. :)

I think intermixing of races works kind of like elder scrolls does. If I remember the lore right the baby's race depends on the mother though there will be some...traits that show up from the father's side.

From a feral perspective that could be true. Many seem to be playing city miqo'te males though, they may not share those beliefs. Rhynka and Razamir (My hubby's character are not city miqo'te.) Rhynka could and does understand the concept revolving around keeping the species thriving strong. Selfish isn't it, since Rhynka is his first any mating outside of her would be decided by her. Have you ever tried to step into the middle of two females disagreeing over ANYTHING? It'd be best if she was left with any final decisions in this situation. The female would have to be compatible with her (In a sisterly fashion) as even with IRL culture when it comes to multiple wives they HAVE to work together as a team, just like a pride of lionesses. I pity any man who'd try having multiple women in his caring affection I could just see him say one looks nice that morning cause maybe she didn't toss and turn and ruffle up her hair much, next thing you know fire balls and summoned eggis are flying back and fourth from a jealous spat. At that point the man who probably had good intentions to start (Maybe more seedy intentions.) would become collateral damage in what would be a War of the Women and what was supposed to be a nice morning basking in the dawn is now a blood bath with a baked Nuhn in the center! Yes I made a war of the worlds pun, and am rambling!

So yeah, Rhynka would have to have a bond with the woman as well. Not saying it isn't possible, and ICly we play that there are others in the clan for Razamir, but they're as good as NPCs. I doubt anyone would ever want to RP with them at their home turf.

From a feral perspective that could be true. Many seem to be playing city miqo'te males though, they may not share those beliefs. Rhynka and Razamir (My hubby's character are not city miqo'te.) Rhynka could and does understand the concept revolving around keeping the species thriving strong. Selfish isn't it, since Rhynka is his first any mating outside of her would be decided by her. Have you ever tried to step into the middle of two females disagreeing over ANYTHING? It'd be best if she was left with any final decisions in this situation. The female would have to be compatible with her (In a sisterly fashion) as even with IRL culture when it comes to multiple wives they HAVE to work together as a team, just like a pride of lionesses. I pity any man who'd try having multiple women in his caring affection I could just see him say one looks nice that morning cause maybe she didn't toss and turn and ruffle up her hair much, next thing you know fire balls and summoned eggis are flying back and fourth from a jealous spat. At that point the man who probably had good intentions to start (Maybe more seedy intentions.) would become collateral damage in what would be a War of the Women and what was supposed to be a nice morning basking in the dawn is now a blood bath with a baked Nuhn in the center! Yes I made a war of the worlds pun, and am rambling!

So yeah, Rhynka would have to have a bond with the woman as well. Not saying it isn't possible, and ICly we play that there are others in the clan for Razamir, but they're as good as NPCs. I doubt anyone would ever want to RP with them at their home turf.

Yes I have to agree, considering with your average pack animal you have the alpha male, and the alpha female, which is more like the den mother of the rest of the pack. I mean even with apes,  the dominate male has a harem, yet that is only because the females allow him to.  If the females disagree with him, he is out of luck.  So the alpha female has to allow the other females to be there, as well as take care of them.  Just as the dominate male is expected to lay his life down to protect his pack. And honestly, if Razamir was to have a harem, he would want the females to get along with one another..  Being in the middle of that fight isnt something he would really want.  As a side note, in all honesty I would just prefer that any harem he had to just be npcs.

Soooo...

Duskwights and Wildwood Elezen are mostly at each other's throats. It's been a long standing issue, and hence why they are separate factions.

Elezen and Hyur don't naturally get along as well, as Elezen claim that the Hyur immigrated in and took all the land.

As far as Molt's concerned, he couldn't care less about these differences, though if he sees a Duskwight, he'll try to make them impossibly uncomfortable, just to get a negative reaction. He can't possibly understand why there is such a feud between the clans and was born under a "free love" family, but get's mad if others can't accept such a philosophy.

As far as Molt's concerned, he couldn't care less about these differences, though if he sees a Duskwight, he'll try to make them impossibly uncomfortable, just to get a negative reaction. He can't possibly understand why there is such a feud between the clans and was born under a "free love" family, but get's mad if others can't accept such a philosophy.

Awww... I thought he got along well enough with Eva (duskwight) at the aftermath of the Full Cold Moon event last year. Though I suppose crisis thrusts people together sometimes where they might not ordinarily. That was fun RP though!

So what about you guys? Do any of your characters suffer from any cultural blocks or quirks?

Personally, I've been particularly interested in the conflicts between racial cultures and the dominant cultures of the city-states -- which would be heavily influenced by Midlander Hyur culture, seeing how they're allegedly the most populous race. I especially find the Miqo'te culture clashes interesting, and I know that if I make any Miqo'te characters, they'll definitely have some strong opinions (either pro- or anti-) their tribal culture. If anyone remembers the guild Skathris Ven'sho from EQ1, I'd love to see something like that show up for Miqo'te.

Right now, I've actually got a couple of Miqo'te concepts, one of which will be a pretty direct agitator against Miqo'te traditions -- going so far as to call the Seekers barbaric and the Keepers hypocritical power hoarders. That ought to stir up some conflict. :)

I've got another character concept who's a Duskwight Elezen who's just terribly nice and wants to mend the bridges between his/her people and the Wildwood Elezen. This character, though, doesn't like the Hyur, seeing them as a dangerous force of cultural and racial hegemony.

Actually, the three city-states culturally dominant Clans are Sea Wolves in Limsa Lominsa, Dunesfolk in Ul'dah, and Wildwood in Gridania. Midlanders are the most populous because they're common everywhere, but they actually lack a defining culture. They tend to blend in with the local culture, save for traditions related to one's personal life and family, such as marriage, funerals, naming and so on.

At least, that's how it looks from my observations.

Yeah, on rereading the lore, you're definitely right. The Hyur have a "lack of a unified cultural identity," so their influence would be minimal.

Still, though, I think it's fair to say that the "city folk" and adventurers are going to have some culture clashes with more "traditional" members of each race. There's some good RP and conflict hanging out in there, I think.

It was mentioned that the Seekers of the Moon are also part of or at least common to Girdania. Of course I have no link or anything to back that up.lol

I can confirm that Keepers of the Moon are the Miqo'te that are in the Black Shroud and have established a prescense in Gridania. Seekers of the Sun are more commonly seen in Limsa Lominsa and the Sagolii Desert region in Thanalan. Of course, "more commonly" .. There are still Seekers in Gridania, and Keepers in Limsa. :) Dem adventuring types!

Yeah, and Highlander (refugees) are common in Ul'dah, Plainsfolk are common in Limsa Lominsa, and so on. They're not culturally dominant, though, so I didn't get into it.

For the other cities, Highlanders were dominant in Ala Mhigo, before the Garleans, Ishgard's culture seems to be defined by worship of Halone and hatred of dragons rather than anything racial, and Sharlayan is still very unknown. I get the impression that it's rather egalitarian though, fixed on intellectual pursuits.