Healing.. I'm sorry...

I have seen two old threads about "How does healing magic work in to" and they seemed to turn into massive spanning threads but I wanted to pose a question...

... While reading one thread it was mentioned about the balance of destructive magic Vs healing. It made me wonder if I had done this whole healing magic use right. I follow the basic rule of "They decide how effective it is" but following what I saw in a lore compendium I always thought of it like,

Man gets nasty stab wound, no foreign body in it. Cure spell is cast and through concentration the wound is slowly healed. Man is still in some pain so herbal mixture is given as pain relief and man is told to visit a place of healing over a course of time to make sure the wound stays healed (like magic stitches using aether, if to much effort is used the wound will reopen or not heal as fast) and bandages and some form of salve is put up to aid recovery and ease pain. 

I do like the "not an insta fix" and it's always more fun to have fatigue and struggle, makes it more fun. My answer to the whole destructive Vs healing I suppose is, you are fighting the injury, some fights you can win and others you can't.

Also is there a list of herbal remedies for rp I can turn to and use?

Edited by Comrade Uri

How you tackle healing in roleplay is down to your play style as much as there's lore available for it. If you are the kind of person that naturally dive into details with your roleplay, then it's going to look different to someone who focuses more on the game-play spells and/or visual effects. On top of that, there's a time and a place for detail-diving - if you are offering to assist with healing at a fighting tournament for example, then you'd be best off not going into intense details because such an event has an already intense time-pressure. 
Lorewise, and this is just how I have interpreted it - then aetheric healing magic is not a cure-all, instant or even permanent fix. We have seen some cutscenes in the MSQ as of late where injured people are said to be injured for a long time - days if not weeks - and they're essentially prescribed "rest" to fix their problems. In a way you could see magic healing as what saves people from dying, but it doesn't cure them, time does. Some elements of the lore surrounding conjury suggests that if rest isn't kept, then the positive effects of the healing magic will revert/go away/land people in trouble again. So in a TL;DR version, underplay rather than overplay - and tie in traditional methods, such as medicine and surgery. 

If you are progressed to the point where you can do the Anarta beast tribe quests, then you at some point wind up having a healer NPC around at the base. When you walk up to them, various little scenes start, where you can see a patient and how the healer talks to them eludes to the patients problem/treatment. I found that inspiring. 

As for herbal remedies, we have the fantastic Botanica Eorzea

A lot of quest items and gatherable items have snippets about their uses, including in medical/medicinal ways. You can also let yourself be inspired by the alchemy craft, for example an interpretation I have is that Ether (the drink, not the magic) tastes horrible because it's largely composed of animal parts such as bone which doesn't exactly inspire a good taste. 
Additionally, very good bean people have written things to try and help people roleplay more realistic healers; they're not specific to the XIV universe but you may be able to use some of it either way. 
https://sizhatonaz.tumblr.com/post/165948795343/medicinal-herb-preparation-terms 
https://scriptmedic.tumblr.com/ 

Most important of all is clear and precise communication between you and whoever you are trying to heal. My advice, if someone "conflicts" with your style (E.G they want a quick instant fix) is to not contend it and either roleplay it out, handwave it or direct the player to a different healer if one is available. 
I hope this can help you - I wouldn't think in terms of "doing it wrong" because it's a very diverse area. 

Ah I have been doing a healing spellwork thing takes time and concentration and follow ups are needed along with rest so it's nice I got that right.

I have the botanica Eorzea but I'll check those other links out, thank you for them 😃

Edited by Comrade Uri

I think Maril pretty much nailed it.  Healing magic is not an instant fix-all.  It acts more like stitches - closes the wound so bleeding stops and gives a boost to natural healing, but it still takes time and energy from the healer. And, like with stitches, too much strain can re-open the wound.

As for herbals and medicinals, there are many resources for such in real life. I recommend reading up on some to get a good feel for how they work. Then think about how you could apply some Eorzean flavor to it - whether in the form of ingredients, or techniques, or both.  In real life there is something called dragon's blood, in Eorzea it my require actual dragon's blood.

Edited by Tregarde
8 hours ago, Tregarde said:

In real life there is something called dragon's blood, in Eorzea it my require actual dragon's blood.

Maybe don't do that particular example, dragon's blood had some pretty specific effects in FFXIV's lore and I wouldn't really call them "healing" ones LOL

Otherwise, there's not much to add that hasn't been said. It's your RP, you can use healing magic however you would like, and while I would recommend staying within the game's lore, there's still some wiggle room there. I usually let the RPer of the wounded character decide how much the healing effects their character because, well, what am I going to do, sit and argue with them about it? However, I do try to imply what I think is believable and what I believe my character's abilities actually do via the RP, i.e. I might emote that the wound is closed and have my character then caution the injured person they will need rest for a few days or they might further hurt themselves.

I play a healer in multiple games.  In FFXIV, I base my perception of healing on what the spells actually say they do (because all of those spells have lore behind them, thanks to the lore teams minor obsession with having lore for every. Single. Thing.).

Like Faye, I go with whatever the patient's player wants to happen.  Because it's their character, not mine.  So sometimes Liadan's healing works really, really well.  Other times, it just closes wounds and leaves heavy bruising behind.