New to XIV RP, Character questions.

So I'm by no means new to RP, just new to the setting of XIV. So expect these questions to be more about lore, also probably sound really awkward. I'm bad at first posts like this. But I've been trying to put together my character and I just want to make sure I don't go completely off the rails here or anything.

1. So about the naming conventions. I've read over most of the relevant ones, and that's actually why I'm asking this question. So when I first rolled Sohki I rolled her as a Keeper of the Moon, since I didn't own Heavensward and honestly assumed Au Ra were just a weird dragon-human hybrid because Japan. (In my defense I was coming off of a pretty stereotypical Korean MMO!) But after getting into the 2.X patches I decided to spend one of my two Fantasias on race changing to Au Ra.

However by the Raen naming standards, and Doma/Hingashi in general, "Sohki Tisghawa" isn't a compliant name. Now it's not as outrageous as calling an Au Ra "Tidus XII," but I do have one more Fantasia in my back pocket that I was planning on using either to switch back to Miqo'te or to tweak my Au Ra. Guess the question here is merely if it's better to play a race where you are named correctly, or a race where your name is.... okay, but you like the race more.

2. Okay this one is less opinionated, but still kinda opinionated. How many classes are too many on a character, ICly at least. Obviously OOCly we can be everything, but I'm assuming actually being a Renaissance man/woman and having a bit of everything is probably a case of Warrior of Light Priveledge. But I was thinking of probably doing 3-4 IC classes for Sohki.  Note I've already done some research and found out that Jobs (or at least the 1.0/2.0 jobs) are a pretty... iffy subject.

But anyway I was thinking of going with a character who initially came to Eorzea to become an Arcanist, but then later on picked up Machinist and Red Mage in her journey. Having a basis and interest in magic I think would make learning Red Magic viable, and I was thinking that the combat side of Red Mage draws from a job she had trained for as a child, but doesn't actually use around Eorzea, like a Rogue or Samurai or something to that effect, hence the 3-4 bit.

3. Okay now we're getting into real lore hours. The timeline of Heavensward, to a non-Scion, I find rather confusing. I'm led to believe that Ishgard wasn't open to visitors of any sort during your first visit to Coerthas in 2.0. Yet we do see at least one Limsan in Ishgard as part of the Machinist storyline. So at what point does the city open up to outsiders? Was it always open, just the need of Edmont's patronage was to ensure you weren't arrested and sent back to Ul'dah? Does it open after the events of The Vault? Is it after Ishgard rejoins the Alliance? Is it not until the Dragonsong War ends and you get airship access to Ishgard?

3.5. On a related note, what are the means of someone getting to Dravania? Are the only two access routes through West Coerthas or Idyllshire? Or are there routes from Mor Dohna or Thanalan?

4. Raen. Especially Raen culture. Now I know they borrow a lot from the other major Far East nations, so this might even be a question about general Eastern characters, but how much emphasis really is put on the Lord-Servant relationship? Is going out and finding a Lord to offer your services, whether weaving or assassinating, to as regular and expected as moving into your own place? Or is it rarer, where most people just remain in the same general area as they grew up, perhaps serving the same Lord that their entire family or clan does? I'll admit this probably gets explained in Yanxia, which is actually the next zone I'm headed to, but I figured I'd throw it here since I'm sure there's info on it in the lore book that I don't own.

5. Okay last one, and back to something a bit more subjective. I know that it's generally accepted that the closer you get to the events of the Warrior of Light's story the more you isolate yourself from the RP community at large (because there can be only one WoL, but there's however many hundred RPers) but how close is too close? I'm guessing going around saying "Yes I helped fell X, Y, and Z Primals" is pushing the limits of what a non-Warrior of Light could do, and I know the subject of being a member of the Scions is a hot debate. I'd also assume being a former member of the Crystal Braves is looked down upon because of how... messy that ended for both sides. Is it best just to leave anything MSQ at an arm's length, or are there acceptable limits for weaving MSQ events into your character's story?

Anyway that's all of it! For now. I mean technically if anyone has any good Balmung resources coughlinkpearlscough I'm all ears too. And I'm just as bad at endings as I am at starting these kinds of things.

Also apologies if anything in here is just drop dead stupid. Or just hard to read.

Hiya! I'll see what I can answer through these! The Lore Board should have some resources too, although it may take some time before it's all re-reformatted for our newer site layout. The old site data can be accessed on https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/ and may be a bit easier to read until then.

7 hours ago, Sohki said:

1. So about the naming conventions. I've read over most of the relevant ones, and that's actually why I'm asking this question. So when I first rolled Sohki I rolled her as a Keeper of the Moon, since I didn't own Heavensward and honestly assumed Au Ra were just a weird dragon-human hybrid because Japan. (In my defense I was coming off of a pretty stereotypical Korean MMO!) But after getting into the 2.X patches I decided to spend one of my two Fantasias on race changing to Au Ra.

However by the Raen naming standards, and Doma/Hingashi in general, "Sohki Tisghawa" isn't a compliant name. Now it's not as outrageous as calling an Au Ra "Tidus XII," but I do have one more Fantasia in my back pocket that I was planning on using either to switch back to Miqo'te or to tweak my Au Ra. Guess the question here is merely if it's better to play a race where you are named correctly, or a race where your name is.... okay, but you like the race more.

Play what you like > playing something that looks more compliant.

While RP in FFXIV may be a little different from other sites, forums, MMOs, etc that you've been a part of, it largely follows the same golden rules of RP. Don't metagame, don't god mod, do unto other characters as you'd want them to be able t o do to yours, and have fun with it. One of the more distinguishing factors about FFXIV is that the RP is not homogenous and you'll find differing opinions on a lot of topics, even among people who say they're following the lore and can even cite the NPCs, developer posts, or lore book pages to back it up. (NPCs in this game L I E. Or they can just be misinformed. Take everything with a grain of salt because they're part of the story and not particularly OOC.) 

If it's something that really bothers you, you can always introduce your character with an in-character name or grab one of the namechanges off the Mog Station if you're invested in the character and things are going well!

7 hours ago, Sohki said:

2. Okay this one is less opinionated, but still kinda opinionated. How many classes are too many on a character, ICly at least. Obviously OOCly we can be everything, but I'm assuming actually being a Renaissance man/woman and having a bit of everything is probably a case of Warrior of Light Priveledge. But I was thinking of probably doing 3-4 IC classes for Sohki.  Note I've already done some research and found out that Jobs (or at least the 1.0/2.0 jobs) are a pretty... iffy subject.

But anyway I was thinking of going with a character who initially came to Eorzea to become an Arcanist, but then later on picked up Machinist and Red Mage in her journey. Having a basis and interest in magic I think would make learning Red Magic viable, and I was thinking that the combat side of Red Mage draws from a job she had trained for as a child, but doesn't actually use around Eorzea, like a Rogue or Samurai or something to that effect, hence the 3-4 bit.

The Warrior of Light by all accounts is the exception. (Or a freak of nature crafted by Hydaelyn to solve Her problems :p ). One thing I've recommended in the past is to allocate yourself up to 200 levels to allocate to various skills/classes/etc. Think of it like desynth. If you start getting -really- good at one thing, the others may fall out of practice. I'd also take the character's age into account, or how experienced you want your character to be at something. We don't have a very strong timeline for things happening in game, but it doesn't hurt to dabble and mix things up. (That is exactly how 1.0 was originally intended. Become a cross-class monsterand build your own sets of skills. Then they scrapped that and went more traditional and have continued to phase out the 1.0 bits in waves.)

My personal recommendation would be to master no more than 2 classes/jobs. But anyone can know how to throw a punch or kick without being a pugilist. Or know how to swing a sword without being a gladiator. It's important to remember that the classes and jobs we're shown are a city's particular brand. So we're learning Gridanian conjury, Uldahn pugilism, and Lominsan arcanima, as examples. Other schools and crafts may vary. It returns to the whole opinions on lore thing. 

7 hours ago, Sohki said:

3. Okay now we're getting into real lore hours. The timeline of Heavensward, to a non-Scion, I find rather confusing. I'm led to believe that Ishgard wasn't open to visitors of any sort during your first visit to Coerthas in 2.0. Yet we do see at least one Limsan in Ishgard as part of the Machinist storyline. So at what point does the city open up to outsiders? Was it always open, just the need of Edmont's patronage was to ensure you weren't arrested and sent back to Ul'dah? Does it open after the events of The Vault? Is it after Ishgard rejoins the Alliance? Is it not until the Dragonsong War ends and you get airship access to Ishgard?

3.5. On a related note, what are the means of someone getting to Dravania? Are the only two access routes through West Coerthas or Idyllshire? Or are there routes from Mor Dohna or Thanalan?

Ishgard officially opens its doors to the Warrior of Light between 2.55 and 3.0. The timeline in this game is a MESS. (Not because we can't figure out when something happened, but because the writers make heavy use of time bubbles and not hardwritten dates for gameplay.) 

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV/Timeline (does not include 4.0 and later).

Effectively, we operate in a series of layered time bubbles. There are...

[Past events with dates] [things that happened in 1.0] [5 year skip during the Calamity] [2.0 start] [2.0 patches] [3.0 start] [3.0 patches] [4.0 start] [4.0 patches]

Things in red mostly have written dates, except for 1.0 gameplay. Things in green are all seemingly happening one after the other within the same couple years. (and I thought I was busy...) Because of this, you'll find people using different scaling for the timeline. Some ignore it and count every day IRL as a day in game. Others try to use lore-related timespans to piece together a data. And others just ignore it because we're not going to know what year it is until some NPC states it, which SE heavily avoids. (But we got tidbits like 2.55 -> 3.0 being a couple weeks. Or that the very fast boat ride from Limsa Lominsa to Kugane was a certain length of time, etc.) My advice, go with the flow there.

So to begin answering things again, Ishgard didn't open until 3.0 started, some length of time between the WoL popping out of the aether (or you starting 2.0) and making it to 2.55 and escaping from Ul'dah. But they made a number of exeptions for the WoL. A safer bet for the common person to visit Ishgard would be after the events of 3.0, but I wouldn't try to attach something with a hard date there. 

Related, the routes we have to access maps may not be the only ones, but they are the ones the player has access to. Without more knowledge on the geography, and how the last few years may have changed it, it's a safe bet to assume old passages may no longer be safe or usable. 

7 hours ago, Sohki said:

4. Raen. Especially Raen culture. Now I know they borrow a lot from the other major Far East nations, so this might even be a question about general Eastern characters, but how much emphasis really is put on the Lord-Servant relationship? Is going out and finding a Lord to offer your services, whether weaving or assassinating, to as regular and expected as moving into your own place? Or is it rarer, where most people just remain in the same general area as they grew up, perhaps serving the same Lord that their entire family or clan does? I'll admit this probably gets explained in Yanxia, which is actually the next zone I'm headed to, but I figured I'd throw it here since I'm sure there's info on it in the lore book that I don't own.

This...I'm not sure. I'll have to leave it to someone who knows more. Raen culture (and well, a lot of Doman culture too) draws from feudal Japan. I'd say it's a safe to make interpretations as I don't recall anything being one way or the other. Besides, Adventurers kinda toss out a lot of the rules and conventions!

7 hours ago, Sohki said:

5. Okay last one, and back to something a bit more subjective. I know that it's generally accepted that the closer you get to the events of the Warrior of Light's story the more you isolate yourself from the RP community at large (because there can be only one WoL, but there's however many hundred RPers) but how close is too close? I'm guessing going around saying "Yes I helped fell X, Y, and Z Primals" is pushing the limits of what a non-Warrior of Light could do, and I know the subject of being a member of the Scions is a hot debate. I'd also assume being a former member of the Crystal Braves is looked down upon because of how... messy that ended for both sides. Is it best just to leave anything MSQ at an arm's length, or are there acceptable limits for weaving MSQ events into your character's story?

Refer to above posts about opinions. It's impossible to please everyone and there are a variety of players who range from completely average to actually the Warrior of Light and their companions. There are also a fair number of Echo-enabled people out there, although blessings may vary. By heavy confirmation bias, I found more people keeping MSQ things at arms length and who were playing more underpowered characters. WE wouldn't just go off to fight primals (although some did! With some lore-bending to make it a little more feasible.) If you recall events in 2.0, the Scions had a LOT more people, as it was actually two different organizations that were later merged. Minfillia was leading the Path of the Twelve, which aimed to find other people with the Echo. Louisoix lead the Circle of Knowing. Together, they made the Scions. (But many of those Echo-enabled people may have died, become 1.0-style warriors of light, or have died when the Garleans raided the establishment.) You've got some flexibility unless you try to say you personally know some named NPC from some event. I find a fair number of people who are in the know of what's going on in the MSQ, but aren't a part of it themselves. News gets around.

11 hours ago, Sohki said:

It's possible to rename if you really wish to play Aura. It's possible to keep your name and to hell with  it. It's possible to say that said name is only a nickname for eorzean friendos. Either way, it's up to you, and I would only suggest to make everything you can not to have any regrets, with the race, and with the name. Depends on where you put the limits yourself and what ruffles your feathers, and what doesn't. 

There isn't a wide accepted rule or standard in all the RP community. Some don't care, some care too much, some in between...

1) A class, and even more a job, is something already specific. A gladiator is what the title says: a noxcius fighting in the Bloodsands arena in Ul'dah, often for debt or otherwise. A simple blade wielder isn't necessary a gladiator, but you'll probably use a gladiator ingame to use a blade because that's the only way ingame to do it. Or play a dark knight if you're into two handed.

2) Most base classes, like conjurer for example, also exist in other regions of Eorzea. You have healers in Ishgard that use similar spells, but aren't conjurers (but just ishgardian chirurgeons). You have healers in the xaela steppes that are shamans. etc. They aren't conjurers, that are specific to Stillglade Fane in the Shroud, much like Thaumaturges are a thing of the uldan Ossuary.

3) Jobs are very often presented as very unique, elite arts, that are often lost or heavily restricted. Take that into account and how hard it would be for a lot of people to even learn about jobs past the myths and legends, and find sources to learn those. It doesn't mean it's impossible, to the contrary. But keep it in mind. 1 job is already rare. Imagine 2, or 3, or more? For the WoL, sure though. No problemo.

Same as for the first point, some roleplayers won't care, some will, some will put the bar somewhere in between, there is no community enforced standard. I've seen a lot, even a majority of roleplayers having characters versed in several arts. Several jobs, probably less, but being versed in a lot of things, sure.

Mercenary already covered it above, but Ishgard starts opening a bit before Heavensward, accepting foreign adventurers and whatnot. The WoL is one of the first to get there, like the MCH Sea Wolf NPC you mentionned. Keep in mind that this specific NPC is not a nobody and is actually the second in command  in Limsa in the 1.0 storyline, and is now a renegade exile. 

ANYWAY, we see quite a bit of foreigners in Heavensward arriving in Ishgard. Some like Sidurgu (the DRK NPC trainer after Fray), have even been there before due to very specific circumstances. Now that Ishgard has won the Dragonsong War and all, and ousted the theocratic monarchy for an open bicameral constitutional republic, you can bet that the influx of foreign manpower and relations has increased tenfold. 

Very little means besides getting past a very unforgiving series of land and climates. Most of what the game tells us is that the settlements in the Forelands, or more precisely in the Chocobo Forest, are what you see: hunters and chocobo handlers camps with not much for themselves, only protected from dragons hordes by the thickness of the forest. If you try to get there through airship, you get probably torn apart by dravanians - though this is probably not the case anymore besides the occasional remnant of Nidhogg's Horde, since the war is over). If you try to get there through the Hinterlands and the Sharlayan colony, it's probably the same: harsh terrain, very little civilization. 

There may be other routes, like going through sea and landing somewhere on the coast of Dravania, or even trying to get through the Bloodbrine Sea in the North and land in the Farreach (which is like, super wild, with some Keeper of the Moon tribes, that we know nothing about). Either way, you immediately have to deal with very mountainous, jagged terrain, and climate, with nothing to sustain you, and dangerous wildlife. 

The emphasis on lord-servant relationship is usually strong in most Raen communities, as described in the lorebook itself. This is how the Raen that left the steppes and their xaela brothers and sisters, settled and found a new way to live, first by serving a charismatic doman lord, then settling for that kind of life and integrating in the Doman society that way. Some Raen also invest a lot in being master swordsmen and women, either serving their lords or roaming free. 

This is only the basis for the race though, since a lot of raen scattered around, some founding communities in Hingashi itself (cf the village of the raen princess in the 50-60 Nin questline), or some finding very unique sanctuaries like the community of Sui-no-Sato, from which Yugiri originates. And while Yugiri cares a lot about her master Hien and her retainer duties as a shinobi, her place of origin being an oddity in itself, is very reclusive and shuns all foreigners, even domans or hingans, and only deal with the blue kojin. 

With that in mind, you have a general basis that is pretty much the standard, safe to pick from, but a lot of alternatives exist. All races in Eorzea aren't limited to one archetype only. They spread, they live, they have differing opinions, sometimes very opposed to the mainstream of their kin. 

The others have done a great job answering your specific questions. I'd like to add one more small thing - a bit of unsolicited advice which I've given to a lot players who are new to RP or just new to a given setting.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid

...by which I don't mean to actually call you stupid, of course! :D It's only an acronym. The practical application of it in this case is to give strong consideration toward playing a character who, like their player, doesn't have much experience in the setting. Thus, as their player, you can be forgiven for not knowing how magic works in this setting, because your character doesn't know either (and so as their player, you don't even need to know it yet). Via this wide-eyed and curious character you can learn about the setting by way of your character's experiences interacting with and learning from other characters.

It's a fun approach to learning about a setting by immersion, and either the character will grow and become more complicated than their basic start, or, as the player becomes more wizened to the ways of the setting, they could just opt to make a new character who's more complex from the start, and feel comfortable with their knowledge about it.

Food for thought! :)

Thanks for the replies, I expected maybe one very confused person.

Good to see names aren't end-all, be-all. Since I could change it, but I have grown rather attached to it after being called it for 63 levels.

As for the classes matter, I like the idea of having a set number of levels to divide up  as far as RP goes. Allows me to have some more control over how much she does, but still have logical drawbacks.

I do find the idea of... maybe not a fresh character but maybe one who's relatively new, though.  The setting I'm pretty okay with, at least for Eorzea. Will admit my knowledge of the specifics behind magic is.... iffy to put it one way.

If you're looking for magic info, check out some of the write-ups on this page! (Note: if the site's not loading correctly, add in the /mybb/ bit on the URL! We've got some fancy redirect magic happening on the server to keep old links working, but it messes with some formatting).

https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=19136&pid=289427#pid289427

On 5/7/2018 at 12:18 AM, Sohki said:

Everyone has pretty much covered everything else. The only thing I want to add is in regards to how many skills is too many and that is to just remember that character age should also play into it. For me it just breaks all sense of immersion to see an 18 yr old character walking around as the master of the universe. Older characters of course will generally have more skills under their belt to coincide with their experiences, but when making a young character I think it is important to try and limit yourself on this. One because it opens up a lot of rp opportunities to ICly learn things from other characters and taking your time when doing so. I won't lie, I love seeing those younger characters with a big ego but not much to back it up learning and growing creating hooks for themselves as well as the veteran characters around them.

Got another duo of questions, since I'm actually not just deciding on what to RP now but who.

So I was thinking of doing a Hingan Au Ra, but I was wondering if we have any sources on how a isolationist nation like that deals with people who want to leave. Like if a character left Hingashi, went to Eorzea, and returned later on, would they be treated as a foreigner now? Or is it essentially "once a citizen, always a citizen?"

Second question deals with Sharlayan, specifically their reactions to outsiders. I skipped 1.x so my knowledge of proper Sharlayan is probably lacking, but I was considering having Sohki originally attempt to learn Arcanemia from Sharlayan, but ending up rejected and instead traveling to Limsa to learn. Is Sharlayan the type of nation where they have a high bar for perspective students? Do they outright reject foreigners to preserve their neutrality, except in cases like Louisoix and Thancred? Or are they generally known for teaching everyone with potential?

19 minutes ago, Sohki said:

Second question deals with Sharlayan, specifically their reactions to outsiders. I skipped 1.x so my knowledge of proper Sharlayan is probably lacking, but I was considering having Sohki originally attempt to learn Arcanemia from Sharlayan, but ending up rejected and instead traveling to Limsa to learn. Is Sharlayan the type of nation where they have a high bar for perspective students? Do they outright reject foreigners to preserve their neutrality, except in cases like Louisoix and Thancred? Or are they generally known for teaching everyone with potential?

Originally during their time with having the Colony that was located in Dravania they did in fact teach Eorzeans their arts. However since their retreat to their homeland they have become exceedingly protective of their knowledge and arts. There are some exceptions to this such as the Students of Baldesion and the Circle of Knowing, but the Bibliothecs ((which is a political party in Sharlayan)) seem to have gained quite a bit of power so one could easily infer that they'd likely have turned away most since their exodus into isolation. For the most part the Scions that were Eorzeans were additionally specific for they were taught before the exodus, and some by Louisoix who decided to flip off the Forum and do as he pleased. The fact that he was an Archon and powerful meant no one was really going to stop him. Other cases though, as shown by the AST questline, shows the Conservatists of the Forums will go to any lengths necessary to stop Sharlayan arts from being spread.