Social Classes within The Pillars of Ishgard

I've done a bit of reading on the wiki, but couldn't really come up with the answer. Are the only people who reside in The Pillars of Ishgard the 4 High Houses or are there other Houses of a similar class that live there? I am under the other assumption that there is no "Middle" class in Ishgard. Either you're poor with no noble heritage, or you're rich and from nobility.

Quick reply because I'm still at work, but other noble houses also have their manor in the Pillars, such as House Borel - Aymeric's house. 

Also Ishgard doesn't seem to have a true "middle" class, but a small one might exist in the form of merchants and clergy who didn't already come from noble standing.

A decent amount of smaller noble houses have been mentioned here and there in various quests.

The middle class is composed of all the people that aren't seen in the Brume to sum it up on broad strokes. As Sounssy says, there are merchants, clergymen, or just commoners...

I would be tempted to divide Ishgard into several classes, more or less the same as seen in the middle ages IRL:

- Peasants and other commoners of low birth. Mostly found around in Foundation, and not only in the Brume. You can find them in the chocobo stables, etc etc. And also in Coerthas outside, like Eagle's Nest, the Observatorium, isolated farms like Gorgane Mills (probably at the service of higher land owners), and villages, etc.

- The bourgeoisie composed of merchants and other commoners of low birth that raised above their status. You can probably find a lot of those lingering around the Jeweled Crozier, for example.

- Clergymen and religious clerks. Every man of the Cloth really. 

- Nobility, composed of the aristocracy of all the noble houses of Ishgard, on top of them, with the most influence, the 4 major houses, Haillenarte, Dzemael, Fortemps, and Durendaire (possibly in order of might and resources).

- Royalty, that is a class on its own here, probably similar to papal states IRL or other Church governed lands in History. They are part of the Church and rule it, but their status also grants them lands and whatnot. Not to be confused with nobles though, who are secular by nature.

I think separating social classes in Marxist way is possible of course, with the poor masses on one side and the rich rulers on the other, but you have to keep in mind that not all commoners are Brumers living in their own dirt, that some of the lowest clergyman are probably piss poor like in the Brume while others live in wealth...

That's my take on it anyway.

Edited by Valence