Question on Miqo’te backstory

I’ve been thinking about going into a role play server on the game as a Miqo’te. My idea is to play a keeper that was found as a very small child (like one or two years old at most) by a Hyur family living in Gridania after the destruction of the calamity killed most of his small tribe and sent the few survivors running to save themselves. He was given a Hyur name and raised into their culture, despite his appearance.

The reason I do this is because I really love the look of the Miqo’te character designs, but I’m not much on their highly tribal and polygamous society. I’d like to play a character that’s culturally displaced and finding an identity for himself. Does this seem like a reasonable backstory for a character to be in that situation, or am I running into any logical or lore roadblocks that may make the idea logically questionable?

I can't really see any logical or lore roadblocks to such a thing. There's a lalafell NPC in the main story quests who was adopted by a hyur and given a hyur name. If you just want to avoid the tribal stuff there's no reason you can't just be a miqo'te who's family gave up that life several generations ago. Some things like naming conventions would likely remain in that case though.

Worst case scenario is some grumpy or overly strict RPer writes you off as someone trying to have their cake and eat it too. I'm sure I could walk into the Quicksand right now though and find something far more outlandish than that.

Edited by Mermaid
I'm bad at typing.

The amount of non tribal miqo'te ingame is staggering. The current seasonal Moonfire event features a couple of keeper brother and little sister that both refer to their family as a standard non miqo'te family, but that's only the most recent example that comes to mind. SB itself had a few in Ala Ghiri, and you can find those either for seekers or keepers scattered across the game in various storylines. So this is an option. Most of them however still use traditional miqo'te names, either seeker or keeper. 

The adopted option always works, especially with such a simple and strong concept as the Calamity.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing your Miqo'te as "non-tribal." It's fairly common both in lore and in the RP community, especially. So no worries there! 

9 hours ago, thatheathenguy said:

My idea is to play a keeper that was found as a very small child (like one or two years old at most) by a Hyur family living in Gridania after the destruction of the calamity killed most of his small tribe and sent the few survivors running to save themselves.

The only part that caught my eye was this. I'm not sure if you intended to play a character that is only 7~ish years old at most? The Calamity only canonically happened 5~6 years ago,, so your character would still be quite young. But there's plenty of things in Gridanian history that could account for missing parents, if you still wanted to lose your character's parents at a young age: Greenwrath, Wailer skirmish, Garlean skirmishes, Keeper refugee from Ala Mhigo, etc.

Ah I completely forgot how recent the calamity was. So my new plan is that it was a beastman attack, and so he was found wandering the woods at maybe 2 or 3 at the oldest. The family who found him were a couple of Hyur who used to be adventurers but were going to settle down and have a family in Limsa Lominsa.

He’s studying as an arcanist to be a scholar, but will ultimately find that he grows tired of the structure and arithmetic and aim to be a conjurer, becoming a sort of wandering mystic type who is dedicated to Oschon.

Though not a huge population, there are Keepers who live in/around Limsa Lominsa if you wanted to just cut out the Found In Gridania, Brought to Limsa Immediately step of the backstory? Kobold or Sahagin attack on one of the hamlets works pretty well for orphans. Pirates, too. And there're orphanages in Limsa, plenty of mercenaries, and Limsa is where the Adventurers' Guild was founded 20ish years ago for the Adventurer parents bit. Tons of options, but the backstory looks pretty solid now! Hope this helped!