[Mateus] Old RPer, New Game, Much Overwhelm x_x

Kaizyr

So uh, hey there! Like some of these other newcomers I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to go about this post, but here goes!

MMORPG Background / RP Background in General

I've been a rabid an avid role-player for like, a looooooooong time now. I started out on a RP-themed forum which basically changed my life. Since then, I've gone on to RP with my good buddies from school and eventually made my way into World of Warcraft. Even after everyone said "WoW is dead!", I kept playing because I was primarily there for the RP community anyway. I love creating characters, coming up with possible backstories, putting them into play, making up crazy plot scenarios for my friends that may or may not walk the line between lore and meta (heh)--but usually that's usually done out of an attempt for comic relief. I take RPing pretty seriously for the most part and immerse myself fully in my character within a world's lore and mechanics. When it comes to MMOs, if I'm not running around doing content, you'll definitely find me IC.

My style of RP is kind of avant-garde. Particularly with MMOs or any RP world that I'm new to, my starting characters usually begin with a pretty simple backstory and have little knowledge of the bigger world (much like yours truly). This way my characters learn more as I immerse myself in the lore, and it leaves room to fill backstory gaps. If I learn something cool in the lore, I might try to fit in into the backstory. Hasn't failed me yet! And I've come up with some pretty awesome characters that I have a hard time letting go of afterwards.

Who's the IRL me?

I'm pretty stand-offish about sharing my RL stuff. Because of reasons. Pretty much to the point where you may as well say I only exist online (LOL). But I will say that I am one of those straight guys who is more comfortable playing female characters.

And I'll also say that I love RPGs in general. Not to say I've played them all though (far from it, actually *cry*). I've played Shining Force 2, Tales of Symphonia, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Xenosaga, Golden Sun, Golden Sun: TLA, Fire Emblem, Skies of Arcadia... And of course, I've been a HUGE fan of the Final Fantasy series since I was a little kid. The FF series is what got me into RPGs in the first place. I watched my cousin play FF7, and that was it. I knew I loved it before I really knew why (and before FF7 in particular entered the realm of "overrated"), and when I got older I played 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10-2. Then my mom told me to start doing productive things with my life. She still does, but I figure I can still eke about some RP time on the side.

Main Character in FFXIV

Meet the somewhat scrappy, mostly easy-going, "I'm not a bloody pirate; I just like this bandana" ... Lyra!

image.png

With my basic knowledge of FFXIV lore, she is "the child of a Highlander and a whore" (her words, not mine) who grew up on the streets of Ul'dah. She learned how to fight in the streets, ran odd-jobs for the miserly local merchants to make a living, and dreamed of leaving the Twelve-forsaken dust city for somewhere else. When she got older, she finally took the leap towards that dream of somewhere else... and landed in Limsa Lominsa.

Right now, you'll mostly find her outside the Drowning Wench, the Anchor Yard, or some other place with a good view. I'm still on the Free Trial version (e.g. I can't reply to /tells) until I can actually start paying for a subscription, but if you're ever looking for leisurely chat, feel free to come find me!

Edited by Kaizyr