Au Ra race/culture information

I know there are the wiki pages but I was curious if there was any other reference material I could get a hold of to have a look at? I was thinking about re-rolling my character in the near future just as a bit of a change. I've only spent the last six or so years rp'ing as a duskwight Ishgardian smith.. I think it may be time for a change.. With mixed feelings of excitement and my nerves getting the better of me again.. I wanted to seek out information on a few things before I really settled on what I am going to do in the long run of things. 

Thank you in advanced for any information or links you may have to share ^^

Sounsyy's got a number of lore compilations for Au Ra as a race and the various cultures we see them a part of in-game. The most up to date index is over on tumblr http://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/167534982764/mirkemenagerie-update . 

If there's a specific question or questions, I can help to find some more detailed resources or see if the lore books have anything on it!

thanks a bunch. The only real specific question I can think of as of the moment is dealing with clan naming. Odds were I was going to favor the route of just being the last left in the clan due to the clan conflicts.. (I know they have a name for them but presently I can't think of it off the top of my head). 

I hate thinking I'm doing the probably done to death route for the clan back story but at the same time I know very well if I went into full detail where the clan was alive (I can't really bring myself nor am I feeling brave enough to adopt one of the lore clans as my character's clan.. I'd rather not step on toes if I can help it..) then I'd be detailing out quite a few characters just to satisfy my own story telling.. >_< (though typing that out. that does sound like fun .. to me at least haha). 

Clan name-wise, that's mostly a Xaela thing, but even the official SE Forums post on naming conventions encourages players  to have fun with it seeing how clans can come and go and we're only shown a handful in the Azim Steppe as it is. So if one doesn't suit your interests, I wouldn't sweat it. 

As for Raen, they don't really do clan names as much as surnames. And also have a pretty mutual cultural contribution to Doma/Hingashi society as well, which gives you access to that lore as well, if it's something you'd want to make use of.

As usual, there are also always deviations and exceptions to all the rules for adventuring folk, those who may have moved into a city, or gone abroad. "I left X clan/tribe to see the world" is always an option if there's a tidbit you like, but don't want to necessarily impact your character in the present.

Oh I know it's a Xaela thing (excuse to keep the coal blue skin still heh). I should have mentioned that was part of my plan to start with. I was just curious if there was some sort of naming rule for the clan. I know they were based off of the Mongolian tribes..? I think I heard that somewhere anyway. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of naming convection for the clans just like the names. 

I have several months yet to iron out what exactly I'm doing.. I won't end up changing anything till after the expansion release I don't think..

Edited by Rosekitten

I may try to shoot them a message. I 'm not really looking to run a tribe sadly. As fun as the idea sounds of forming one and giving it a bit of flair.. it's not in the cards. The server I moved to has rp on it but it's pretty spread out at best. ^^; I just wanted to make sure I was keeping the names at least close to lore or the theme behind the race as I could. I probably worry far too much as more then likely it won't be brought up in conversation much if at all heh. 

I know I had seen some things here and there but I can't seem to find most of my old bookmarks anymore (granted they are a few years old now soo.. heh)

• 2 months later...

I'm months late but just in case you ever see this again, like Mercenary said, it has a great influence off Mongolian culture. I remember reading their naming conventions are based off of earlier century Mongol words, I can't remember if it was 16th or 19th particularly but I know I used that to create my custom tribe's name. There's small things that build around the idea too like how they didn't have writing at first and just spell names based off how they sounded and that being why some of the names look so odd. Tying that together with the Mongol representation, you can be pretty loose on some areas but the biggest help is really spending a good amount of time in the Steppe area. Doing a few of their quests, reading dialogues, fates, and the general layout of the land paints the picture pretty clear of how the race acts and general concepts. Each individual tribe responds differently based on their own cultures/religions/beliefs that all seem to center around similar ideas founded by their gods Azim and Nhaama. You walk around there a bit, you realize how rough the land is, how you see hunters, fisherman, guards, chefs, and etc just to make a living off a very dangerous land as opposed to the other maps with cities, castles, and usually more organized fashions of handling situations. I think the biggest impact on the culture was the mention in MSQ between Lyse and the Mol children about it being simpler to travel around the land than to stay in one place. Xaela are simpler than they appear at first glance, they eat, they build shelter, they fight off attackers/predators/monsters/etc, they prepare for the harsh elements of the land, they worship or take time to be among their own beliefs/culture of their tribes and then when the land's used up, no more to eat, too worn down, they move along to find more of the same so the previous land can replenish. Longest sentence ever there lol.

To make it a lil more relative, imagine if electricity/water was finite when you moved into an apartment. You go out to work and get food, you make the home warm/comfortable, you relax, you secure your doors to be safe, and do the things you know you must for your family/home, then when electricity/water is out and that apartment says "can't do anymore right now until next summer", you relocate to do the same. Now just imagine that but with dirt, monsters, crops, pelts/fur, materials, and wilderness.

Back on the subject of Mongolian influences, I think that's just the general influence considering a large part of the expansion took place in the east. We have Doma which has the civilized and traditional portion just like modern day China/Japan. Then you go outside further where it broadens into the "conquer and conquest portion", where the strong survive and by having such harsh land you can reassure you won't find anyone else trying to seize your land or very few opponents. This is similar to earlier century Mongolians who survived through nomadic travel and took whatever they wanted/needed to survive in doing so as opposed to being more diplomatic or civil... I mean, if you can punch the guy and take all his meat than be told no and go home hungry.... what's to stop you >3>?

Edited by Arashin Kujqai