New Characters (Tokyo / 5.0 Spoilers)

That's...an interesting thought. I'd considered it but tossed the idea out because I figured other RPers wouldn't approve.

I haven't RPed in FFXIV yet, been holding out for them to add Viera. Now that they're confirmed, I've got some time to slowly figure out and decide on my character. We've gotten hints as to what the culture of The First is like, though, and it absolutely fascinates me! Such a hopeless world, it reminds me in some ways of the Nier universe as well as our own troubles these days.

It seems like the lore around Eulmore and Lake(forget the second part) are pretty straightforward with some room for creativity. I will give it some thought! Shame we're on different servers though.

Crystal will just be the big datacenter / megaserver everyone on Balmung / Mateus / et al get consolidated into for world visits :3 Currently on Balmung too

We don't have in-depth details yet, but Norvrandt / The First so far sounds a bit like Nova Chrysalia from Lightning Returns - a world nearing an apocalypse, and the eternal day is an interesting plot point. Imagine growing up and never getting to see the stars at night, or only getting to see them for the very first time. Eulmore sounds like Yusnaan with its decadence and apathy, plus the class divide of upper levels vs. lower levels.

What'll be interesting to see is how much of a fight is still being put up against Sin Eaters - the adventurers living around the Crystarium from the trailer still seem to be going about their day to day like standard adventurers would, even in the face of the flood of light. The name Sin Eaters itself seems to imply punishment for normies having standard desires / free will, along with the angelic boss designs + a name like "Innocence."

On 3/25/2019 at 8:50 PM, Kieron Lohengrin said:

Crystal will just be the big datacenter / megaserver everyone on Balmung / Mateus / et al get consolidated into for world visits :3 Currently on Balmung too

We don't have in-depth details yet, but Norvrandt / The First so far sounds a bit like Nova Chrysalia from Lightning Returns - a world nearing an apocalypse, and the eternal day is an interesting plot point. Imagine growing up and never getting to see the stars at night, or only getting to see them for the very first time. Eulmore sounds like Yusnaan with its decadence and apathy, plus the class divide of upper levels vs. lower levels.

What'll be interesting to see is how much of a fight is still being put up against Sin Eaters - the adventurers living around the Crystarium from the trailer still seem to be going about their day to day like standard adventurers would, even in the face of the flood of light. The name Sin Eaters itself seems to imply punishment for normies having standard desires / free will, along with the angelic boss designs + a name like "Innocence."

Re: Balmung - Ah, gotcha! It might be cool to gather up folks who plan on having First-native characters? Not decided yet but the idea is intriguing me the more I think about it, so...probably me too.

Something that's interesting to me about Eulmore is it was mentioned....somewhere...that people had come there knowing the world was doomed and choosing to hide from it in a last bout of luxury. And you look at it, and it really does seem like a last party kind of town, the way the banners are thrown up and everything is set up. I'm reminded of those Black Death parties.

You bring up an interesting point about how people are reacting to the Sin Eaters. I imagine it might be similar to how people in the Source react to Primals? 

(Alita movie spoilers below)

Spoiler

A concept mentioned in the movie Alita was the idea that the city below the floating city is a big mix of the world's population, people from many different cultures and places. I imagine we'll see something similar in the last bastions of the First.

It also makes me wonder what became of the male Viera on the First. Perhaps they remained with the forests to the end, went down with the ship so to speak. Perhaps some are sin eaters now?

Additionally, I'd be up for a Linkshell (likely a small one) if anyone else is interested in coordinating First characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for reviving this dead thread, as it's what inspired me to make a First character!

Perhaps those of us that are interested in RPing First characters could keep in touch? Is there a linkshell for us? It might be handy.

On 4/14/2019 at 4:32 AM, Kieron Lohengrin said:

My first world toon is currently on Mateus as Balmung is still closed off to new characters, and while we're waiting for more solid information from the expansion itself, but feel free to PM and discuss anytime:

tiny.cc/ethanb

Same, I'm up for discussion any time! I'm working on gathering up a network of people who'll be RPing in the First. 

Here's mine! I'll have to convert it to wiki format, too... https://balmung-greenheart.tumblr.com/post/184219423367/please-note-that-i-prefer-to-leave-some-details