Should I return to Balmung?

Hello, and thank you for having this wonderful community!

I'm a new) returning player. I purchased the game when it came out (2012 ish), mad a character, played till level 12, then life got in the way as I stopped.

I recently decided to come back and play again. I created a new char on Mateus to learn the basics of the game. I still am new, but I'm new-comfortable and have a better idea of how I want to play as a character.

I also found out that my old first character from way back when is on Balmung, a server so popular it's closed.

Is it a good idea to play there? I don't want to pass up the opportunity to play and rp on the top to server, but I'm worried that since it's been closed for so long there won't be many new characters like myself playing the low levels. On Mateus, I have some duties that start after 2 min, and some where I've waited almost 10min. Will starting (again) on a closed server be a disaster for a new player like myself or should I take advantage of being able to play?

Since both servers are on the same data center, the duty finder times will be the same.  Duty finder wait times change based on your data center, not your server.  For example, you would have the same queue time as Zalera or Diabolos (apologies if I'm butchering these names) as you would on Mateus or Balmung.  If you played on a server in a different data center like Gilgamesh or Omega, your queue times would be different.

Mateus has a very healthy roleplaying population, but much more fresh blood.  Its really a question of what you're looking for!  I don't see why you couldn't play both, either.  Check out the Free Companies on both, I'd suggest using little communities like those to play a part in your deciding factor.

Also, because they're on the same data center, Crystal, you can make use of the World Visit function to just...go onto that server.  This comes with a few limitations for things you can/can't do, like access your Mateus retainers/FC buffs/etc on Balmung (or elsewhere), but most social aspects work, like parties, cross-world linkshells, and you can enter housing/maps as normal.

If you plan to join a Free Company or a local world's linkshell on Balmung, then you'd probably want to use that old character. But otherwise, you can freely hop between them.

So there really is no difference? I can start on any server in the crystal, then just visit another world if I want to rp or socialize on the streets?

Thanks for the help! Good to know theres no real pressure to pick the wrong server. 

Yeah! It's pretty handy. 

Home world only:

• Join a free company
  • Join a not-cross-world linkshell
  • Access/Hire a retainer
  • FC buffs
  • Put items for sale (because retainers)
  • Gather from certain timed nodes (iirc. ...this might not actually be the case anymore)
  • Buy a FC or Personal house

World-visit friendly:

• Visit any map on that server
  • trade items with another player
  • access housing
  • buy items off the marketboard 
  • party up
  • use the party finder
  • access any other general content (parties, leves, hunts, etc) 

So your permanent residence does still matter, but largely not for walk-up RP or public events. But for a Free Company or Linkshell, then it matters a bit more unless they coordinate everything in a Cross-World linkshell. (Which you can now have 8 of, instead of 1 previously).

So is there a reason NOT to join one of the star special low pop world's? I can get the xp boost and socialize on the other world's when I want to. Is there something I'll regret later on from not choosing a more populated space (assuming the star world's never catch up population wise)?

Basically just Free Company/House options, in my opinion.

There are a host of FC-related gameplay features that you'd only be able to use on your home server. And it can be kinda nice to hang out in FC chat with friends/etc, whether for RP or not. 

If you make a character on a preferred world, you will get an exp boost, but it also locks your ability to transfer (set a new home world) for 90 days. While unlikely, SE does occasionally adjust congested server status. (But exp anywhere should be pretty good these days, as it has gotten increased. Best combined with main story quests and the exp accessories, if you have them.)

SE's official site has a lot of the game-related information here: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/contentsguide/worldvisit/

Aside from those, the social aspects are where I'd really make the call. Make the server you have the most friends/activity on your home server. Granted, while still figuring all of that out, poke around with the options you have! If you've already got a group of friends somewhere, or if there's a group/fc/ls that you've got interest in, I'd start there!