Dev Blog: Low Rider

Blade

Is that a player character riding on top of....?

Low Rider

June 25, 2013

Hey all!

Fernehalwes here!

I popped into the development servers this morning and witnessed something utterly mind-shattering...

JP20130625_1.jpg

Odin? I mean, that looks like his horse, Sleipnir but...something's...OMG! LALA ODIN CONFIRMED!

JP20130625_2.jpg

Wait...

Could it just be Project Manager M playing with dev tools?

WE MAY NEVER KNOW!

(Okay, we do know. It was just Project Manager M playing with the dev tools)

AAAAAANYWAY...

In other news, Yoshi-P made an exciting announcement at the IR conference held immediately after today's annual Square Enix stock holders' meeting. Supposedly, the FINAL FANTASY XIV beta test registration numbers have hit...920!

I mean...

920 THOUSAND!

(In my coolest Hollywood voice with explosions going off in the background--) "We're gonna need more servers."

Next up, one......BILLION!

Okay, maybe 1 million first. Sign up here if you already haven't!

Fernehalwes

Corrected the headline cus in my rampant excitement I took it to be confirmed as a new mount but now that I've returned to equilibrium I realized it wasn't really a new mount at all, and just them playing with dev tools.

Corrected the headline cus in my rampant excitement I took it to be confirmed as a new mount but now that I've returned to equilibrium I realized it wasn't really a new mount at all, and just them playing with dev tools.

Look on the bright side - do you really want to see Sleppy mounts being roughly as rare as air molecules? Because I promise you that would be what would ensue.

It could be like the phoenix mount from WoW, so incredibly rare that you'd almost never see it.  But the fact that it exists would drive you to madness trying to get one.

This is not a goal for FFXIV to aspire to.

Really, emulating any part of The Burning Crusade's endgame is not worth aspiring to.

Except Karazhan. That was pretty boss.

It's not even a real Sleipnir, the real Sleipnir has 6 legs. :o

At least in mythology... and other FF games.

My immersions!

(In mythology, it has 8 legs, whereas in a lot of FF games, I think it usually has 6. Regardless, I hope nobody seriously wants to complain about such a thing.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen in all actuality. The fact Odin is modeled separate from his horse is something to make note of anyways.

They're certainly going to be implementing new mounts as it is anyways. We've got the Coeurl confirmed, as well as having seen both Drake and Ahriman mounts in development. On top of the Goobues from 1.0.

So only time will tell before we see if we get a Sleipnir "Egi" mount maybe. Hahaha.

It's not even a real Sleipnir, the real Sleipnir has 6 legs. :o

At least in mythology... and other FF games.

My immersions!

(In mythology, it has 8 legs, whereas in a lot of FF games, I think it usually has 6. Regardless, I hope nobody seriously wants to complain about such a thing.)

What? 8? D'oh! My viking lore needs some revision, I guess!

But yeah, I was only kidding. :P

I have to agree with Mtoto, though.

I'll take M-tek armor over horsies anytime (except maybe steampunkish mechahorsies like in Rift). I'm now a Warmachine/Iron Kingdom player too, so I'm really in the mood for it. :P

The fact Odin is modeled separate from his horse is something to make note of anyways.

That could just be an indication that Odin will dismount at some point while you fight him. I guess then you have to fight him and Sleipnir separately, kind of like how chocobos will fight alongside players once we dismount?