Linkshell Hall Bumping

Personally, I am not seeing the issue with having the discussions and listings for the linkshells in the community being in the same place. In point of fact, I think that them being in the same place is a good thing. It fosters discussion and inclusion regarding linkshells in a quick and easy manner. This is overall a good thing. I do not believe that an entire different forum section is needed for these. We had it on the old RPC and it was a little bit confusing to be honest. Besides, creating this section will not really solve this bumping issue.

Ohh... see I was under the impression we were still operating under the old RPC rules (Updates only). I'm fine with people posting in their Guild's thread, though. It may seem spammy, but the best way for a new person to see how a Guild handle's themselves is to read their very own thread.

Our thread is so serious, no one knows we're a bunch of goofballs.

As a linkshell leader, I don't really consider it bumping and the like.

This is also coming from me, leader of The Seven where my forum posts under there are only 3 and those are the only 3 under it.

If other shells have lots of posts on them, good for them!

I think if someone is shopping for shells, they will look at every shell if they are serious about finding the right one, no matter how many posts, views, or order they are listed in.

And if we loose a member to someone who has a higher posts count, listing and/or view count GOOD, because the COMMUNITY still gains another member who has found what they see as the right home for them!

However, I would NEVER say Kylin was caving to anyone.  He is trying to address issues that are brought to him by people (and I do not know what they are or who brings them up) the best way he can. 

I hope also that no one thinks that I or any of the linkshell leaders are some ruling council.  I was at the meeting and left before anything was ven discussed due to time constraints.  However, I do know there were some leaders really sticking up for new players in there and raising their concerns.

The community is going through growing pains right now because there has never been a game where it was played for 2 years, rebuilt, shut down and then asked the old and new community to get back together and be as one.

There are no examples to follow here.  I think everyone, both old and new, are doing the best they can for what it is worth.  This is actually a really cool social experiment to view here.  We should all be thankful we are having the chance to partake in it and making history as part of the first game to successful relaunch and come back bigger than its prior version.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that we are in beta, and the tests are a week a part, so people don't know what to do with themselves between tests. It's already been said before, but once the game goes live and people are spending more time in game than on the forums the problems will die down.

One thing though to keep in mind is that you can join up to eight different Linkshells, which kind of reduces the level of competition really because certain characters are more than capable of joining different groups and participating. Granted, most people will usually have a "main" LS they stick with more than others, but it still doesn't stop a person from joining more than one in game, or even groups from roleplaying with others.

I built the concept for my Linkshell around the idea that we would be cooperating proactively with other Linkshells when need be, because I'd much rather have my members be a part of the community than get caught up in isolated inner guild RP.

Kylin,

I am not sure if you are addressing me specifically, but I think you might be, so I'll try to clear things up. I think there is a significant difference between what I wrote and what you may be picking up. I hope this is not an issue that will come up repeatedly, since I do my best to genuinely present myself as a good mannered individual. I care about that reputation, and I will seriously approach claims of the opposite that don't have clear evidence. I will walk through the post to elaborate any points which may have rubbed you the wrong way so that we're left on a better ground.

>Note that I said I generally trust the administration to do the right thing.

>I also never said you caved on anything, that word was never used in my posts. I do believe you acted on a request, which is generally a good thing don't get me wrong. In this instance though, it proved to be a little overkill... and I think we can both agree to that if cooler minds prevail. Heck that's why the Pub section will be used instead of simply killing off any comments. 

>I am not sure what quasi-witch hunt means, but I certainly think an individual should be responsible for his or her claims or points of view. For example the idea of "competition" among groups in this community should not be endorsed but eliminated. It is a toxic idea, and those who even have that notion in their heads should be ashamed. I stand by this.

>I don't find their concerns legitimate. You have but to look at other posts in this thread by LS leaders and well respected individuals in this community for all the reasons why it's not.

>I do apologize for using the word "minority" - I have no clue how many people feel that "bumping" as it currently stands is a problem. Given the replies here though I don't believe it to be a majority, but that's neither here nor there.

I hope that we can move forward without wrong assumptions about each other. Again, I am sorry for hurting feelings (if any were hurt), I am just a bit surprised by administrative action due to these particular claims. I still trust you and Ellie as leaders, I know it may not mean much coming from a newbie of the group, but I just want to assure you that I do not disrespect you because of something minor like this. The Pub section should be a good addition to the forums :love:

>I am not sure what quasi-witch hunt means, but I certainly think an individual should be responsible for his or her claims or points of view. For example the idea of "competition" among groups in this community should not be endorsed but eliminated. It is a toxic idea, and those who even have that notion in their heads should be ashamed. I stand by this.

Nobody's gonna be surprised, but I am totally behind this. I'm not looking to burn anyone at the stake. Believe me. I've done my fair share already, and we don't need heads on pikes here. Then again, I don't think anyone's calling for that. But this kind of behavior tends to just tear people apart.

I had suggested in the LS Leader's meeting that the heads of these groups get to know eachother better, so that we could help new people (and people just free-floating and searching) get to where they might be happiest, as quickly as possible. So far, I'll admit that I haven't had as much time as I would like to track people down, and talk with them, but I'm trying to move forward on that. I'd hope that others (aside from the one leader I've already spoken with, and who I'll keep the name of, and let them step forward on this on their own) have taken up this plan of action.

I'm not sure where this idea has come from that any of us are in competition. For my 'Shell/Free Company's part? We sincerely don't see ourselves as being in any kind of tug-of-war for members with any of the other linkshells. Our discussions and acknowledgements in our thread are really...pretty much to say "Hey, I see you're interested, I'll get in touch with you."

There's a kind of undercurrent here that's really, really counterposed to the welcoming and inclusive message you guys have worked to put out there.

There's a kind of undercurrent here that's really, really counterposed to the welcoming and inclusive message you guys have worked to put out there.

That's, uh... There's really not much to add there. That's exactly how it feels.

What I would love to see is that the Linkshell directory only be used for the initial post about the linkshell with no replies or bumps when updates/events occur. Listed in alphabetical order, not by newness (like a directory!).

A LS discussion sub-forum could be used for those people who wish to post updates about their LS (the first post can simply provide a link to their Linkshell directory listing or something) or for people to comment about the ideas. :)

What I would love to see is that the Linkshell directory only be used for the initial post about the linkshell with no replies or bumps when updates/events occur. Listed in alphabetical order, not by newness (like a directory!).

A LS discussion sub-forum could be used for those people who wish to post updates about their LS (the first post can simply provide a link to their Linkshell directory listing or something) or for people to comment about the ideas. :)

I'm 100% behind this idea. I could also see this implemented with an LS/FC discussion forum and a link to a Category on the wiki, which would serve as said alphabetical directory (but then, I'm a bit wiki fan :) ).

This whole issue makes no sense to me at all. There are no legitimate concerns that could possibly prompt this. I might as well call for art threads to only be allowed to be posted in by the OP, because it hurts a bit to see pictures displaying less technical skill to some of mine get way more praise, or how disappointing it is to see threads from people whose art I adore get bumped only to find it's some random compliment and not new art I could drool over.

Fortunately, I'm not so thin-skinned or petty. I know it's much better for everyone that if people want to comment, they can do so freely. That includes me, because every bit of happiness and enthusiasm that part of the forums generates makes this community stronger. And the utterly priceless value of the compliments I do get.

Yeah, this is going to be inflammatory to whoever made those complaints. That's the point. Everyone needs a dose of perspective and self-reflection once in a while, because letting your own feelings become more important than a community is the surest way to kill that community. And I'm willing to risk burning bridges personally if it might help the community in the long run.