Nice to meet you ! - Lore roleplaying etiquette?

Hiya~

Name's Strongth,

Nice to meet you all!

Edit: I ended up transfering to Mateus, so I'm not going to be avaliable in Chaos server In case anybody read this and was thinking of contacting me. I'd still love to have someone to touch base with or a FC or something so I'll appreciate any advice or support I could get going forward happily. I'm always willing to learn.

Anybody on the Chaos datacentre (or elsewhere, if I decide to transfer to NA) who is willing to take a newbie and show them the ropes I would be thrilled.

I'm tentatively excited about starting to RP, I love storytelling a lot and I've done a little research about how I should go about it, but there are still a couple notes bothering me; Most importantly of these problems being my character's lore.

Unfortunately I can't really talk about the problem unless I've explained the chara, so here goes. I've grown very attached to my characters named Strongth for a long time, since much earlier, to the point that I have made 16 of them in various games to date and this being my 14th strongth named Strongth (the) Xiv(th) (yes this is a coincidence).

The problem in question being the Strongth family tree dates back to other game worlds like that of monster hunter, bloodborne (just to name a couple) and the family have a habit of falling into interdimensional portals so to speak, and ending up stranded in different places.

Is this going to be a big deal in terms of clashing with FFXIV lore-friendlyness? My headcanon is pretty lame, but it's become something important to me, if I have to compromise the character lore too much I think a little part of me would die inside... I'm keen to hear any of your thoughts or advice.

Cheers and have a wonderful day!

Edited by Strongth

Well, in this setting, interdimensional portals and people falling through them isn't unheard of, its been the plot for numerous things here. I'd be fine with it to a point, and I'm always happy to take on new players as RP contacts, but sadly I'm on the Crystal Datacenter in NA.

I think your acceptance you find for it is mostly going to be about the company you keep, rather than any universal "Yes you can do this / No, don't RP that concept" that would apply to every contact you try to make. It's admittedly a somewhat "out-there" character concept, but don't mistake that for an unplayable one. People have varying degrees of leniency when it comes to the character concepts of others. Some you meet will think it's a cool idea, some will be neutral about it and be fine with RPing with it, and some honestly will probably shun you for it, to be blunt. Whether it be a voidsent possessed person, someone with a multidimensional family history, an actual White Mage, etc, if you ever decide to RP a character with an out-there concept behind them, you just need to find people who are cool with that. RP with them, and avoid the ones who feel differently!

7 hours ago, Lihya Zharipoh said:

Well, in this setting, interdimensional portals and people falling through them isn't unheard of, its been the plot for numerous things here. I'd be fine with it to a point, and I'm always happy to take on new players as RP contacts, but sadly I'm on the Crystal Datacenter in NA.

I think your acceptance you find for it is mostly going to be about the company you keep, rather than any universal "Yes you can do this / No, don't RP that concept" that would apply to every contact you try to make. It's admittedly a somewhat "out-there" character concept, but don't mistake that for an unplayable one. People have varying degrees of leniency when it comes to the character concepts of others. Some you meet will think it's a cool idea, some will be neutral about it and be fine with RPing with it, and some honestly will probably shun you for it, to be blunt. Whether it be a voidsent possessed person, someone with a multidimensional family history, an actual White Mage, etc, if you ever decide to RP a character with an out-there concept behind them, you just need to find people who are cool with that. RP with them, and avoid the ones who feel differently!

While I certainly mean no offense to you, I feel as if you haven't properly portrayed how the RP community as a whole feels about these sort of concepts. I get a sort of "Meh you'll be fine, some might not like it though...." vibe from your post and speaking from roughly 5yrs experience in this RP community I'd insist it's so much more than that...

While yes, it's not unheard of, you'll certainly find a majority of RPers within FFXIV being entirely against this concept. A large number of them can barely tolerate the entire Shadowbringers expansion zones as being impossible to get to without being the WoL. And while you may be able to find a certain small group of RPers that will tolerate this, the vast majority will be against it. 

Nobody has the freedom to tell you what you can't or can do. But with a concept like this you are really going to have to take @Lihya Zharipoh advice and find a specific crowd of people who don't mind this type of charcter. So while I do agree with what's said above, I didn't want you to be disappointed when finding the majority of the community will frown upon it. But if you are prepared for that, then go for it! Either way I hope the best for you and best of luck searching it out! XD

18 minutes ago, Savona Drake said:

While I certainly mean no offense to you, I feel as if you haven't properly portrayed how the RP community as a whole feels about these sort of concepts. I get a sort of "Meh you'll be fine, some might not like it though...." vibe from your post and speaking from roughly 5yrs experience in this RP community I'd insist it's so much more than that...

While yes, it's not unheard of, you'll certainly find a majority of RPers within FFXIV being entirely against this concept. A large number of them can barely tolerate the entire Shadowbringers expansion zones as being impossible to get to without being the WoL. And while you may be able to find a certain small group of RPers that will tolerate this, the vast majority will be against it. 

Nobody has the freedom to tell you what you can't or can do. But with a concept like this you are really going to have to take @Lihya Zharipoh advice and find a specific crowd of people who don't mind this type of charcter. So while I do agree with what's said above, I didn't want you to be disappointed when finding the majority of the community will frown upon it. But if you are prepared for that, then go for it! Either way I hope the best for you and best of luck searching it out! XD

None taken. I think we largely agree, though the people I've run into have tended towards being a bit more accepting of such things. To the point I might not be quite willing to use the word "majority" like you did. I think a pretty sizable amount of people wouldn't approve, though. More than I might have implied now that I read over what I said. I stand by my advice, but I could have emphasized more strongly that a large chunk of people would not be okay with it.

What Savona said is something you should mentally prepare yourself for, Strongth. I have a -lot- of confidence that you can find a crowd for yourself without drama, especially if you do it through sites like this and tumblr where interested people can see this aspect of your character in advance. But go into it knowing it will limit your pool of potential RP partners.

Edited by Lihya Zharipoh

Thanks for the responses, I've decided to make a new character on Mateus, since I don't want to limit my partner options unnecessarily. I'm going to say goodbye to my glamours (for now) and Strongth will continue to be my warrior of light. Guess it's time to start brainstorming some fun character ideas.

Thanks for your honesty, and have a wonderful day!

4 hours ago, Strongth said:

Thanks for the responses, I've decided to make a new character on Mateus, since I don't want to limit my partner options unnecessarily. I'm going to say goodbye to my glamours (for now) and Strongth will continue to be my warrior of light. Guess it's time to start brainstorming some fun character ideas.

Thanks for your honesty, and have a wonderful day!

I hope you didn't take this as a "NO YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT DO THIS!" because ultimately you are 100% in your right to do whatever you wish. None of us pay your sub so we really have no say in what you can or can't do. I say if you can find a group that accepts it, than go for it and everyone else be damned! I just wanted to give you a heads-up that quite a few people wouldn't be to accepting of it.

Established stories are usually off-limits, but in terms of what COULD happen anything goes.

I remember the WoW community being -very- strict on what is and isn't permitted by DA RULES and they needed a constant reminder that gatekeeping went out the window the same day space goats came crashing down from space on their city/ship.

Avoid being the love child of Y'shtola and Urianger, anything else is fair game. The stranger the better, if you can pull it off believably. Be an inter-dimensional wanderer, tossed from game to game, why the hell not. Just be interesting. 

Yeah. I was wondering what people thought about the rathalos for instance, it'd make total sense if the same could be possible for strongth as my previous strongth was from MHW anyway, so if the collab raid is considered widely canon I can just leave out the implication that they came from elsewhere beforehand?