A couple game-mechanics questions re chat channels

So I haven't logged into the game for a few years, but I have a few questions about chat channels and things. Apologies if these are discussed elsewhere.

In the absence of a global chat channel, how do new players chat with people before joining FCs or Linkshells? I mean, aside from sending tells to specific individuals. When I first sampled this game in 2014 I remember the chat being inundated with goldspammers, but I also remember being able to ask for a rez if I died out somewhere and usually someone was around nearby, they'd come help, but it seems very quiet out of the cities (I've only been in and around LL for now). Or is /shout what you use and just hope for the best?

I am aware of the Novice Network, but it seems you have to be invited by a mentor to join so...is there a place to request invites maybe?

And with regard to RP specifically, do people just use the /say channel for RP in general or is there a specific channel or emote option? Not emote like triggering whatever animation, but my primary MMO experience has been LOTRO which has /say but also has an 'emote channel' where you type "/e" before whatever and it inserts your character name-- like "/e nods in agreement" will become "Rilya nods in agreement" in the log. Is there something like that in FF or is it all /say? Or is that also confined to LS or FC channels, as applies?

For new/returning players, you could join the Novice Network, but it varies wildly by server and time, and may not actually be conductive in having a good experience. SE's gotten a bit better about removing RMT spam, although you'll still see some bots in main cities doing it in /say by market boards and whatnot. They can be easily reported these days.

Otherwise, the basic chat channels are:

• /shout - zone-wide chat channel. Anyone on the same map as you will receive it.
  • /yell - wide-area chat channel. The whole map won't see this, but it's farther than /say or /emote channels
  • /say and /emote - these are mostly limited to people nearby who are close enough to also see your character
  • /tell private messages

When it comes to joining a Free Company and/or [Cross-world] Linkshell, I think that typically comes after having some exposure to the groups. I have found that there are some big FCs who basically just do a player search on a given map and go down the list inviting everyone who's not already in one, but that may not give you the best experience.

In terms of RP, FFXIV also has a separate emote channel, which you can do with /emote or /em for short, as /e is the internal "echo the text" command and only displays in your chatbox. RPers tend to primarily RP in /say and /emote hand in hand if they're doing public RP, which might, but does not entail walk-ups being open too. (I'd check if they have the RP status icon and/or some form of walk-ups Ok in their search info). Other RPers prefer to RP in /tell, /party, or in their Linkshell/Free Company chat as needed. It's very much a "do what you and the people you're RPing with want to do" type of thing.

If you're returning to the game, when you first log in to any character, you'll most likely automatically receive a prompt asking you if you would like to get the Returner status and join the Novice Network. You can usually find help there, with the caveat that... it's really just an unmoderated chat of regular players, so how helpful or knowledgeable anyone is might be a gamble. In the absence of social circles like FC's, LS's, and Discords, though, Novice Network or /shout are usually your best bet for finding help quickly.

Yeah, I've gotten a few random invites to FCs but have generally declined. I've always responded asking for more info on the off chance they are RP focused, but since they haven't mentioned that in the invite, I assume they aren't.

I didn't notice anything regarding Returner status, but I'll check around when I log on tonight. :)

3 hours ago, andithael said:

Yeah, I've gotten a few random invites to FCs but have generally declined. I've always responded asking for more info on the off chance they are RP focused, but since they haven't mentioned that in the invite, I assume they aren't.

I didn't notice anything regarding Returner status, but I'll check around when I log on tonight. :)

Most of the RP FC's are on Balmung and Mateus. There are some on Coeurl though they're probably not gonna be the ones sending out random blind invites ahaha. If you're looking for an RP FC, I'd recommend searching for some here or in the community Discords! It's possible you might have already declined the Returner status; I'm not sure if or how you can get it back after that.

2 hours ago, Faye said:

Most of the RP FC's are on Balmung and Mateus. There are some on Coeurl though they're probably not gonna be the ones sending out random blind invites ahaha. If you're looking for an RP FC, I'd recommend searching for some here or in the community Discords! It's possible you might have already declined the Returner status; I'm not sure if or how you can get it back after that.

Yeah, I know. Just both worlds are locked for new characters so I just went with where my old character was. I am not opposed to potentially paying to transfer to Mateus (if I'm correct in understanding that is the only way to get a 'new' character over there currently? and Balamung is totally inaccessible to me aside from visiting) but I'd need to network and bit and see about visiting for some events or whatnot. Not going to spring for that blindly, but could definitely do it down the line if I locate a group that looks like a good fit.

I should definitely look into joining some of the Discords and chatting with people.

Since World Visits have been implemented, Balmung sometimes does open up to server transfers and even new characters. It's about as accessible as Mateus is lately. I recommend keeping an eye on both if you are interested in transferring off Coeurl at any point! :)