Familiar with the game and RP, but not together

Werns

Hello. As the title suggests, I'm not new to the game - I reached the end of Shadowbringer's MSQ in late 2019 or early 2020 on my main character. The rest of the game's content doesn't keep me as invested in the game as I'd like, so I stopped playing. I'm looking to get back in and start roleplaying as well, but I'm not sure where to begin.

• MMORPG background
    • Primarily this game (count the hundred+ hours it takes to go through the MSQ while not skipping cutscenes), but I've put a few dozen hours into WoW and RuneScape when I was in high school, as well as an old one called Silkroad back in its infancy.
    • I'm not crazy about MMOs honestly, but I do love FFXIV as I feel it stands out from the rest of the crowd.

• RP experience
    • My primary experience comes from 7+ years on a text-based roleplaying site (sometimes referred to as a MUSH, or multi-user shared hallucination) where everything was text except a single 100x100 pixel avatar.
    • I've done a little bit of casual RP on various other locations (forums, Discord, etc.) so I'm not necessarily a 1-trick pony.

• Character ideas/info
    • I have two characters very fleshed out from my past RP experiences, though one of them would not transfer out of his environment very well. The other I think would do well in any location and my plan is to bring over her personality and come up with a lore-friendly backstory that would fit for her in Eorzea. I'll probably need help with that, however, as I have not picked up on as much lore as I would have liked while playing through the game normally.
    • The character's name is Sapphire Geminus. She has a green cat tail and white rabbit ears, so perhaps a crossbreed between Miqo'te and Viera - is that even possible?

• How did you learn about the coalition?

• First result when googling "Final Fantasy XIV roleplaying"

• What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

• I've not heard those terms before in this context, so I'm not sure what they mean. I'm comfortable writing any kind of scene and I have total control of my availability outside of my 9-5 job, so I can be around often and am flexible.

• Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

• I'm a 26 year-old software developer, avid gamer, and part-time Twitch streamer.

Hi there, Werns, welcome to the RPC 😊 

Your experience in text based RP will help quite a lot since we're mostly RPing through typed posts in chat. Sometimes emotes are used to help convey something but that also involves typing (unless a hotbar key is used). 

There are social events posted on this site which you can join to get a feel for the flow of RP interaction in game. You could also swing by one of the RP hot-spots such as The Quicksand (Adventurer's Guild) in Ul'dah to observe the ebb and flow of RP.