Player who hasn’t even started yet

Ihsan997

Hi everybody! As the title says, I haven’t gotten started...as in, I haven’t yet even downloaded the game due to local internet issues. Rest assured, I began researching ARR about a month ago during my free time, and I’m slowly making the setting and lore a new hobby of mine. I’m slow when it comes to actively video gaming, however; I’m always more active on forums and Discord, so I’m not in a rush to do anything other than read interesting threads, ask questions, and learn from a group of cool people.

MMORPG background

Do MUDs count? I began playing Dragon’s Gate and Darkness Falls on AOL back in 1996, and although they were text-based, they were both multiplayer and online. For formal MMORPGs, then I began with the vanilla version of WoW since I’d been a fan of that whole franchise since 1995. It was fun, but my maturity level eventually grew beyond the story and community there. I’ve also played SWtoR, Fallout ‘76, and ESO for a few years, though intermittently.

RP experience

Face-to-face, I’ve been playing DnD since 1995. Online, I started with AOL chat rooms back in 1996, both in Final Fantasy settings as well as others. This also included forum RP and collaborative fanfiction, and it spread into both MMOs as well as other games I was playing at the time. One thing I’ve learned after a quarter of a century of RP is that you never stop learning, everybody has something to share, and even new RPers can often school me on nuances and habits which I hadn’t noticed. The challenges never stop which is part of what has made RP remain fun for me all this time.

Character ideas/info

I’m keen to play a non-edgy Dark Knight because I love challenges, taking traditional roles in new directions, and filling in social gaps. I’ve had other ideas float through my mind as well; I often enjoy playing antagonists in RP and honestly relish in playing them as mean jerks and then watching their defeat, though I need to become more comfortable in the FFXIV setting to do that. I’m not in a hurry and hope to have a lot of fun along the way.

How did you learn about the coalition?

While researching FFXIV and deciding this might be the game for me, I saw this forum referenced on Reddit, Quora, and...StackExchange, I think? RP guides for those new to the setting all mentioned this forum, and after lurking for a while, I can see why. This seems like a very helpful community.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

Since I’m taking my time and learning the lore one step at a time, I plan to progress from light to medium to heavy once I download the game. As for RP here on the forum or any other text-based venue, then I expect this question may not apply since the sole purpose would be storytelling.

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

I’m in my mid-to-late thirties, the son of gamers, and now the father of little gamers of my own. I have the sort of responsibilities one could imagine, which is why I tend to lean toward forum and chat RP more than in-game RP for all the various fandoms I follow.

Edited by Ihsan997

I just began the download on Steam, so hopefully I’ll be on there soon enough.

As an initial question, does anybody have handy links to threads on server choice? Are there significant differences, or could I pick at random and still find welcoming communities?

EDIT: I actually did some research and chose Omega, though there seemed to be a lot of good choices, plus apparently servers don’t matter as much as shards. Either way, I’m glad to be getting started!

Edited by Ihsan997
Updating progress

If you're wanting to be where most of the RP is, it's on the Crystal Data Center, but you may suffer gameplay and timezone wise if you're from the EU. :) I wish you luck on Omega!

53 minutes ago, Efleion Berrendow said:

Welcome! it's awesome to see someone who has played OG MUDs before, very cool!

I was actually surprised to find at least two other intro threads here on this sub forum for others who played those too. Now I don’t feel so old 😄

P.S. Nice to see both another D&D player as well as someone else who just found this site through Reddit and stuff. May we both find lots of good times here.