EU RPer new to the game.

Blackstar66

Hello you wonderful people, I'm a new player in FFXIV, recently gotten at 80 on my first job and continuing to level others on Balmung. I'm a WoW RPer for the past 12 years and I am really interested in trying my hand with Final Fantasy, however I have no clue where to start without hitting a roadblock.

From what research I have done, I have understood that Omega and Balmung are the main RP servers. Given the time difference between EU and US however it is nearly impossible for me to engage myself with RP, especially FC RP which is what I am mainly looking for. I am making this thread for the following questions:

1) Are there any EU FCs that focus on RP and play at EU hours on Balmung?
2) Is the RP community on Omega worth giving a shot? I have looked for FCs using the community finder and I found it somewhat lacking.

3) Where are the hubs that I can find random RP with some shred of decency (I have seen the horrors of Ul'dah).

Thanks in advance!

Hello there, Blackstar, welcome! :D 

1) There are some EU RP FC's and Discords that I believe may still be active. There's also some events that are more friendly to EU times, as well as plenty of EU players in Balmung/Crystal. 
2) I don't believe Omega has much of an RP community, but there are probably some RPers there.
3) The Quicksand and Pearl Lane in Ul'dah really are the only major ones. Sometimes you can find random RP in the taverns in Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, Ishgard, and Kugane, however. Otherwise, it's best to hit up events or plan RP with people.

• 8 months later...

I noticed the same, to point 3, that when I searched for RP tag and World in the player finder, 90% of the players are all huddled up in the blasted housing areas.

So I say something controversial: Housing is a mistake.

I have really no interest in "circlejerk closed-doors" RP, showing up to some Venue where everyone already knows eachother and then will disappear and disperse into their little house instances.

There's an amazing world to RP in! Costa del Sol! The Twelveswood! Azim Steppe! How I would love to explore Au-Ra Culture in the Steppes, or wander the wilds and run into rp!

But nay. It's all FC RP hidden behind closed doors. With the new influx from WoW players , I hope this changes. WoW is well known for lots of walk up RP, because no housing.

I can only answer for RP on Chaos right now, and your mileage may vary on this but...

Omega is 100% the RP hub of Chaos. There are loads of RP spaces and an open RP night every night... but this is all organised through discord and if you're not part of the discord, I don't know how you'd be in the loop on any of this stuff.

That being said, the discord *does* have a very... shall we say specific vibe? Like, it is incredibly heavily lore-focused and imo, there is definitely a "this is the right way to rp" vibe that people push- consciously or not. I don't want to call it snobby... but if you don't happen to gel with the way people do it specifically, you might not have as much luck.

Again, just how ot comes across to me, and ymmv.

UK based, I moved from US servers to Omega due to latency.

Towns and talking is one thing if you are heavy RP based, dungeons were a pain for me, but also meant I could not play extremes at all due to the latency.

Omega is where the RPers gather but they are a little more tucked away than Balmung (can't walk a malm without bumping into a roleplay), but it exists if you ask for it 😊

I guess it's down to how content focused you are. I have kept a character on Balmung simply because the experience there is like no other, but I play on Omega as I can play without frustration 😅

Only thing I could suggest is make a character on each Data Centre and see how you get on.