Favorite Comic hero?

Oh man oh man oh man. How did I not see this sooner?

There are some seriously awesome choices being made here. I'll add my own to the pot:

1.tumblr_madmqwwaZa1qzizmho1_500.jpg

Morpheus is on here already. And while the Dream King is definitely one of my favorites, the crown of Sandman goes to either Destruction, or Desire. Desire wins out because well, it's Desire! How can you say no to that? Aside from the machinations that are pulled in Sandman, I have heard that Desire was based upon both Annie Lennox and David Bowie.

2.bigby_wolf_01.jpg

Bigby Wolf. Fables has a lot of fantastic characters in it but Bigby is easily far and away my favorite. He's that growly, surly guy with a heart of gold, same sort of character as Hellboy, really. Plus he's a PI. Werewolves and film noir, why don't they mix more often?

3.robotdisguise.jpg

Antimony Carver from Gunnerkrigg Court. I stumbled upon the webcomic several years ago and fell instantly in love. The mix of mythology, alchemy and good, old fashioned powerful storytelling won me over in a heartbeat. But I may not have been able to get that far in, and look passed the somewhat (initially) odd art style if Annie wasn't half as interesting as she is.

4.5538350322_90e587e0b2.jpg

Batman. He's on here already but I mean, what little kid doesn't wish they were Batman at somepoint in their life?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The superman debate doesn't really seem so bad to me, though I got a message or two about it. I'm going to suggest that if you guys really want to continue the discussion and don't feel it belongs here that you take it to PMs. Simple as that : )

In the meantime, if you would like to continue debating in the public forum, the thread has been split for your convenience:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2680

Thanks!

I'm...not entirely sure why the discussion on Superman was deleted (if someone was shouting "hostile", I'm going to lose my shit, 'cause honestly knowing both of them, they were just nerding out, even going as far to continue the discussion outside of the boards for like... hours, without any animosity!), but ok. But, the thread posted above doesn't seem to exist? I'm not sure if that's an issue on my end or what.

Also, to some of you who have mentioned it in a few posts, feel free to talk about anime characters, if you feel so inclined! Manga and Comics are essentially the same thing anyway. :>

The superman debate doesn't really seem so bad to me, though I got a message or two about it. I'm going to suggest that if you guys really want to continue the discussion and don't feel it belongs here that you take it to PMs. Simple as that : )

In the meantime, if you would like to continue debating in the public forum, the thread has been split for your convenience:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2680

Thanks!

Seriously? I can't even have a civil discussion with another guild member of mine, where we both state our bits, and talk for a while without someone outside the conversation entirely complaining about it, and wanting it removed? How do you justify that? I mean...really, is it just my posts? When do you guys put a stop to that? Am I allowed to just report whatever I see from people I happen to not like, and get it shunted to anywhere else, simply because.

God damn, guys. You can't just bubble-wrap us all. May as well shut down the entire forum to protect people's super-fragile feelings from maybe getting hurt.

On topic:

[align=center]55_JohnStewart.jpg[/align]

This guy right here. I am convinced he is the single greatest Green Lantern of all time, and now I'm gonna tell you why:

It all starts back when he was introduced. Jordan had ordered Mr. Stewart here to protect an overtly racist politician from an assassination attempt. It was, at the time, the Lantern's job to kind of play "police". John had some serious reservations about the issue, but went along with Jordan right up until it was time to intervene. That's when he said "nope". The whole thing turned out to be a set-up by the politician himself to garner the sympathy vote, and when Stewart didn't try to protect him, it exposed the whole thing.

Now, this is important because it shows John Stewart is willing to analyze a situation before riding in on his white horse. He's an architect. He builds things, he takes them apart, he understands them. Jordan, Rayner and Gardner? They kind of...don't. They lack foresight.

Also, at one point, Stewart reconstructs a planet and blows a willpower fuse in his ring. Fact.

For Supes I suggest reading All Star Superman and J. Michael Strazynski's (sp?) run. .....

I'd read that just because J.Michael penned it.

I am/was a HUGE B5 fan.

Huge.

H.U.G.E.

If he could bring the kind of character development to Supes as he did to G'Kar, Garibaldi, Lando and the rest??? Yeah...

[align=center]55_JohnStewart.jpg[/align]

This guy right here. I am convinced he is the single greatest Green Lantern of all time, and now I'm gonna tell you why:

It all starts back when he was introduced. Jordan had ordered Mr. Stewart here to protect an overtly racist politician from an assassination attempt. It was, at the time, the Lantern's job to kind of play "police". John had some serious reservations about the issue, but went along with Jordan right up until it was time to intervene. That's when he said "nope". The whole thing turned out to be a set-up by the politician himself to garner the sympathy vote, and when Stewart didn't try to protect him, it exposed the whole thing.

Now, this is important because it shows John Stewart is willing to analyze a situation before riding in on his white horse. He's an architect. He builds things, he takes them apart, he understands them. Jordan, Rayner and Gardner? They kind of...don't. They lack foresight.

Also, at one point, Stewart reconstructs a planet and blows a willpower fuse in his ring. Fact.

Two things!

First. Holy shit, yes. :D Shuck, I've always liked your posts and this just proved why. *applauds*

Second, I think the thread was moved over to "With Great Power" (not sure if that's the same link as Xenedra gave though).

No.

I'm a huge Superman fan and this is the "Favorite Comic Hero" thread, so this is where I'm going to discuss him. Anyone and everyone here can disagree with me, but I'm not going to censor myself to another thread to avoid offending someone. He's a fucking fictional alien hero from America's Golden Age. Get over it.

The debate goes on.

IWTY026_005.jpg

Come at me, bro.

Here are two of the many great moments from Kingdom Come that I feel show a lot of depth in the Superman character and it makes for an outstanding read.

tumblr_m5zpc24TvC1qjzyxso1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3kubzixI81qjzyxso1_1280.jpg

I've been a huge Cyclops fan since I was a little kid. At first what I admired was his responsibility as leader. While other more roguish *cough Wolverine cough* X-men came and went, there were very few characters that put the idealism of the team ahead of their own interests and Scott Summers was the first among them.

And now that he's a "villain" to many characters and readers alike I see it as a very reasonable road that he's traveled. After all, no one has waved the flag for Human/Mutant equality more than he in public and in battle and it's brought him nothing but anguish and still nowhere closer to his goals.

I understand he's now a very polarizing guy but that makes him even more interesting to me. He's no longer a Superman-esque primary-colored hero but a flawed individual and I can't wait to see what's in store for him.

uncanny-x-men-marvel-now-3-cyclops-stand.jpg.ab8cdeedce43c684a92e93cb21abd585.jpg

302890_4947869291671_460820812_n.jpg

Kent Nelson/ Nabu -- Doctor Fate

This character is not a mantle, but an actual entity. Anyone who wears the Helm of Nabu simply becomes a vessel for the force known as Doctor Fate. In some continuities, the wearer of the helmet even goes insane after long enough exposure to the sheer power that comes with it. Nabu provides enough power to make Superman look like a toddler and enough wisdom to make Gandalf look like an idiot, but with it comes an inevitable descent into madness and loss of one's self. Allegedly inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, the Doctor Fate story is one based on forgotten relics, unimaginable power, and irrevocable insanity.

Although Smallville is not a great canon indicator of a character, I thought this was appropriate:  

Okay, I guess I kinda lied.

I do love Red Sonja, but lately, it's a couple of superheroes from Ohio that really got straight to my heart.

Drawn here in a more classic superhero comic style, they are normally drawn in a more manga-ish, but they are definitely classic american supers.

Spinnerette is much like Spiderman in that she accidentally got spider powers in a lab, but... but the similarities stop there. As for her partner Mecha Maid... well I don't want to give spoilers. :P

So here they are!

MechaMaid_and_Spinnerette__color_by_TorqueArtStudio.jpg

And if you're intrigued, they're from a webcomic.

Come at me, bro.

Superman's a straight edge hairless lady man and has a broke ass moral compass.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrDx4HSboySuWR_u_XkdMuZMULVQj0vN7LAF2JR9p0W0KnFmuFhNk50j-O

MY ARGUMENT IS JUST.

Seriously, though. I could take 'em or leave him. He's never really done much of anything for me, but whatever. He clearly wasn't meant for me.

tumblr_m5zpc24TvC1qjzyxso1_500.jpg

I will. I will come at you, bro.

This image here raises another issue I've got with Superman. He's incapable of truly understanding our plights and issues. His situation is so far removed from ours, that he's never going to get a real grip on what it means to be human.

Look at this. Look at this dismissal. Look at this disregard for us. Look at how disposable we must seem to this Sun God from distant stars.

Fills me with dread.

But. You know who handles his shit exceptionally well, and doesn't pretend to be one of us, or have any real idea what that entails?

[align=center]namor1.jpg[/align]

Namor. Namor is a joy to read about, not only because he's unrepentant in any of his pursuits, but because he is utterly alien to us. He has an entirely separate set of morals, comes from a culture we know jack about, and still looks at us and says "They deserve a shot."

He pitches himself into our fights, time and again, when he typically has no real reason to invest in us. On one exceptionally notable occasion, he comes to the aid of the X-Men simply out of respect. Scott Summers leaves an impression on him. Scott Summers means nothing to Namor in the long run, but he was willing to stand for his "species", as Namor put it, against the Avengers, and frankly the entirety of the U.S. Government.

In Summers, who is a human being, Namor found something worth saving, and threw in his lot.

I will. I will come at you, bro.

This image here raises another issue I've got with Superman. He's incapable of truly understanding our plights and issues. His situation is so far removed from ours, that he's never going to get a real grip on what it means to be human.

Look at this. Look at this dismissal. Look at this disregard for us. Look at how disposable we must seem to this Sun God from distant stars.

Fills me with dread.

But. You know who handles his shit exceptionally well, and doesn't pretend to be one of us, or have any real idea what that entails?

[align=center]namor1.jpg[/align]

Namor. Namor is a joy to read about, not only because he's unrepentant in any of his pursuits, but because he is utterly alien to us. He has an entirely separate set of morals, comes from a culture we know jack about, and still looks at us and says "They deserve a shot."

He pitches himself into our fights, time and again, when he typically has no real reason to invest in us. On one exceptionally notable occasion, he comes to the aid of the X-Men simply out of respect. Scott Summers leaves an impression on him. Scott Summers means nothing to Namor in the long run, but he was willing to stand for his "species", as Namor put it, against the Avengers, and frankly the entirety of the U.S. Government.

In Summers, who is a human being, Namor found something worth saving, and threw in his lot.

We both interpreted that the same way, only I find it an interesting plot point instead of a problem.

I think it's cool to see a side of Superman that isn't 100% understanding and right all the time. Sometimes he accepts his place as an outsider. Sometimes even the Man of Steel runs away from his problems, despite how godly and powerful he looks from a human perspective. I think, ironically, by being that outsider alien he is more human.

He's lived here among us his entire life, but at the end of the day, no matter how much he tries he knows in his heart that he'll never be one of us.

Namor, on the other hand, doesn't give two shits about being one of us. I like Namor, but only in small doses. His arrogance and his condescension aren't as endearing to me as they are for some fans. Whenever he shows up at the X-Mansion and tries to boss people around, I just kind of "ugh" at my comic. The X-Men have enough problems without this high school jock of a super hero trying to tell them what to do, even though he's been underwater pretty much since he found the Capsicle. He definitely has his moments were he admits that he respects the humans and let's them take the reigns, but those moments are few and far between.

Also, no one acknowledged Dr. Fate? He's dark and Lovecraftian and obscure! ...I seriously think I'm the only Fate fan left on Earth.

I like Namor a bit (even if he did try to mess up Black Panther so fuck him...BP is another of my personal favorites) but...

objection.jpg

Namor came to aid the X-men because 1) at the time Marvel was billing/re-branding him as the 'first mutant' again. So sure, he might have some respect for Scott Summers, he had some personal interest in helping the X-men against the government (read: Norman Osborn) and the Avengers.

More importantly 2) Namor wanted to get his groove on with Emma Frost again (that's right -again-). Reading through Dark Reign, there's an issue dedicated to their backhistory, not to mention the fact that they had a psychic affair (sound familiar Mr. Summers?) while they were the Phoenix Five.

So sure, Namor's one of several decently cool, sometimes asshole-ish heroes, I wouldn't say he's the kind to do much of anything unless he's getting something out of it. Be it a battle (he does love a good fight), honor/glory, or another chance at defrosting the White Queen (or taking another shot at Sue Storm's invisible panties).

Also, speaking of Doctor Fate, I really liked the approach they took with him in Young Justice, even moreso than in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

I like Namor a bit (even if he did try to mess up Black Panther so fuck him...BP is another of my personal favorites) 

I agree with everything you said, but this caught my eye the most somehow.

I love Black Panther. I think he was discussed earlier in the thread but I want to stress how much I like the character. He doesn't get a lot of screen time usually, but I think that's one of the reasons I like him. He shows up when he's needed but he doesn't hog the comic. He knows what's important and what isn't.

I like Namor a bit (even if he did try to mess up Black Panther so fuck him...BP is another of my personal favorites) 

I agree with everything you said, but this caught my eye the most somehow.

I love Black Panther. I think he was discussed earlier in the thread but I want to stress how much I like the character. He doesn't get a lot of screen time usually, but I think that's one of the reasons I like him. He shows up when he's needed but he doesn't hog the comic. He knows what's important and what isn't.

While I personally feel that he and Storm's marriage was somewhat forced (Hey! We've got two popular, powerful, single black characters, let's put them together!), I did enjoy their reign (as it were) as one of Marvel's power couples. More than anything, I like that Black Panther (same with Cage actually) is a character who has been steadily getting more of a following as people realize 'hey, this is a really solid character who has earned a place on the A list'.

While I personally feel that he and Storm's marriage was somewhat forced (Hey! We've got two popular, powerful, single black characters, let's put them together!), I did enjoy their reign (as it were) as one of Marvel's power couples. More than anything, I like that Black Panther (same with Cage actually) is a character who has been steadily getting more of a following as people realize 'hey, this is a really solid character who has earned a place on the A list'.

Agreed. I feel like both of them started off as "Shit, it's the 70s and we have no black super heroes." types of quota characters, but they've definitely become very deep and understandable heroes. Admittedly, I like Luke Cage more as a team member than as a solo hero, mainly because of his back-and-forths with Spider-Man. Still though, Cage and BP have definitely both left the stereotypes behind and become amazing characters in their own right.... The same can't be said about Black Lightning....

About the Storm/Panther relationship, you've got a point, though I always made the connection of their places of birth rather than their skin color. Both of them grew up in (or currently live in) Africa, despite being members of primarily American super teams. They could definitely relate to each other with that. I liked them fine as a couple, but I wasn't too heart-broken when they split up. There are more iconic power couples out there.

oh lord. Why would you even post this!! Now youll know all my secrets!!

Marvel:

xmen mutants which switched titles to new xmen:

Laurie Collins /wallflower 

Esme, sophia, irma(mindee), celeste, Phoebe stepford cuckoos 

Noriko Ashida Surge 

Josh Guthrie Icarus

xmen in general :

Gambit 

Emma frost. (Heeeey she had her good girl moments!deadpool.

Some of the avengers series depending on storyarc 

DC 

kara  kent, supergirl 

Katrina falcone catgirl (small run in Batman as cat woman's sidekick.)

Pamela  Isley poisoin ivy (villian I know don't care!!))

holy cow some one else likes doctor fate?? Kent Nelson or his wife?! :P 

manga;

sailormooN 

I have many more I could go on about but my cell phone is not wanting to type as I like!!!

*Sets a buffet table ripe with pies for all his fellow Comic peoples* Eat! Be merry!

Now... For my favorites (I'll split the lists up between western comics and Manga/Anime):

1) Batman (Though Bruce will always be the bat, I did enjoy when Dick took over for him. It gave a new spin on the character which was nice to read.)

2) Wolverine

3) Booster Gold 

4) Spider Man

5) The Magdalena

6) Captain America (Steve Rodgers)

7) Deadpool Corps (They had a small run, but DAMN that comic was fun to read!)

8) Robin (Damien Wayne)

9) Power Girl

10) Gotham City Sirens (As the ensemble. The in between with Ivy, Catwoman and Harley was great!)

Manga/Anime:

1) Robotech/Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (DUH! Just look at my profile pic :lol: Again, the whole ensemble through out the whole series was just so well written. I loved watching and reading it.)

2) Vita/Vita Yagami (Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha) 

3) Alucard (Helsing)

4) AKB0048

5) Mega Man

6) Zafira (Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha)

7) Captain Tyler (Irresponsible Captain Tyler)

8) Captain Harlock

9) Grendizer (UFO Robot Grendizer)

10) Mister Popo

Psylocke is my favorite. I haven't read many comic books, probably less than a handful, but I remember being shown a few things of Psylocke and Archangel and then really liking her character art and powers. So I ended up going on a wiki to research her and read more about her. Don't think I've done that for any other comic character before.

Psylocke is my favorite. I haven't read many comic books, probably less than a handful, but I remember being shown a few things of Psylocke and Archangel and then really liking her character art and powers. So I ended up going on a wiki to research her and read more about her. Don't think I've done that for any other comic character before.

Another thumbs up here. Psylocke is a character who, for so many years suffered from a bit of "What do we do with her" type syndrome depending on who was writing her. I think Rick Remender (one of my favorite writers at the moment) including her in Uncanny X-Force did a LOT for her as a character and she's doing some big things finally.

Also, another 'fave' plug....Uncanny X-Force. One of the few series I'd say I've set out to collect the entire run that Remender did on the book before it was relaunched. Being able to take a team of killers, put together to proactively kill enemies/threats to mutants and make it into a deep (One of the big arcs actually left me just staring at the book in shock) and just generally great to read book? Hell yes.

holy cow some one else likes doctor fate?? Kent Nelson or his wife?! :P 

I like all Doctor Fates since they're all pretty much the same person, just with different bodies. My favorite is Kent Nelson because 1) He's the first, and 2) Nabu was/is a guy as far as we know and I always pictured his voice sounding deep and scary, so it always seemed goofy when Inza was Doctor Fate. I didn't dislike Inza as Fate, but I just prefer Kent Nelson. Hector Hall wasn't terrible, but I hated when Kent's nephew Kent V. Nelson became Fate without being possessed by Nabu. Seeing Doctor Fate crack jokes made me mad.