Favorite Comic hero?

Oh! Oh! Oh! Does anyone like the Blue Beetle? I'm particularly fond of Jaimie Reyes because of what they did with his relationship with his family. Instead of alienating his family out of fear that they'll be used against him, he really drew a lot of his personal strength from them. Seeing Jaimie talk to his father about some of his problems as a superhero, and his dad sharing stories about his time in Vietnam with him really struck a chord with me. I thought that was an interesting take on a superhero's personal relationships.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh! Oh! Oh! Does anyone like the Blue Beetle? I'm particularly fond of Jaimie Reyes because of what they did with his relationship with his family. Instead of alienating his family out of fear that they'll be used against him, he really drew a lot of his personal strength from them. Seeing Jaimie talk to his father about some of his problems as a superhero, and his dad sharing stories about his time in Vietnam with him really struck a chord with me. I thought that was an interesting take on a superhero's personal relationships.

I know a lot more about Ted Kord than I do about Jaimie Reyes, but that sounds really interesting. I might have to check that out. Good suggestion.

I know a lot of people didn't like The Blue Beetle's New 52 series, and I can see why, but I felt that there were some moments of really good writing and characterization in there.

To be fair, a LOT of the New 52 is pretty shitty. At least, that's my thought.

No doubt, and there were problems with The Blue Beetle most definitely, but there was some good stuff in there, too.

I know a lot of people didn't like The Blue Beetle's New 52 series, and I can see why, but I felt that there were some moments of really good writing and characterization in there.

To be fair, a LOT of the New 52 is pretty shitty. At least, that's my thought.

Yeah the New 52 kind of ruined Superman and the Justice League. I don't care about what Green Lantern's doing any more, Green Arrow lost all of his eccentricity and just became a guy with a bow and arrow (though I heard there were some improvements after issue #17. Haven't checked), Batman is still decent but it's kind of hit-or-miss (Court of Owls was good, Death of the Family was way over-hyped), and somehow Aquaman is the only series I enjoy from DC right now. The New 52 was a huge mistake on the company's part if you ask me. Not saying there's nothing of value there, but overall it did more harm than good.

As a kid, it was always Green Lantern.  Could make anything you could imagine, as strong as your willpower.  Aside from superheroing just imagine all the practical uses around the house.  Now, there was that pesky weakness against the color yellow (yes, way back when, the ring was useless against yellow), but all in all, was a pretty cool tool.

These days, however, I think I'd be better served with a blue ring.  My willpower can be shaky at times, but I *never* give up hope. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hellboy. 

While looking for a new comic series to read, I remembered this thread. I picked up the first two Hellboy TPBs the other day after work, because of all the talk of it being inspired by Lovecraft. I loved it. Great series. Can't wait to read more. The art, the writing, and the themes are fantastic. I used to dismiss Hellboy as a one-dimensional series that appeals to pre-teens who listen to too much Iron Maiden. What I found was quite the opposite. It's very Lovecraftian, while being uniquely its own entity at the same time. The characters have depth, the stories keep you guessing, and the humor is tasteful and befitting of the circumstances. Outstanding read.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hellboy. 

While looking for a new comic series to read, I remembered this thread. I picked up the first two Hellboy TPBs the other day after work, because of all the talk of it being inspired by Lovecraft. I loved it. Great series. Can't wait to read more. The art, the writing, and the themes are fantastic. I used to dismiss Hellboy as a one-dimensional series that appeals to pre-teens who listen to too much Iron Maiden. What I found was quite the opposite. It's very Lovecraftian, while being uniquely its own entity at the same time. The characters have depth, the stories keep you guessing, and the humor is tasteful and befitting of the circumstances. Outstanding read.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just saw this and I'm totally stoked that you gave it a shot and liked it. Like I said, it's had a huge influence on my media intake as a whole, seeing that I got into it fairly young. I just love paranormal investigation stuff, with some dry humor, and Lovecraftian tones splashed in.

I still need like 1 or 2 books to complete my master Hellboy collection, though. :bomb:

Well I know this is going to sound rather cliche, but my favorite DC hero would be Batman. He's just too amazing to not love. ^^''

(...have a few issues with Nolan at the moment for his movies.. - n - )

As for Marvel, does Deadpool count as a hero? xD

Gotta love a comic character that easily breaks the fourth wall.

I came into this thread specifically just to say "Hellboy." Then I glanced up at the first post and Bea had already said it right from the start: Hellboy! Knowing that Hellboy was there from the beginning just makes me silly happy, :).

I still need like 1 or 2 books to complete my master Hellboy collection, though. :bomb:

Heh, me too. I have Library 1, 2, 3, (maybe 4?), and then I branched off to collect BPRD Plague of Frogs. Have to wait for the next FCBD sale to get the rest!

I used to dismiss Hellboy as a one-dimensional series that appeals to pre-teens who listen to too much Iron Maiden.

There is never too much Iron Maiden! Iron Maiden is fantastic!

But seriously, glad you liked Hellboy. It is a fantastic comic.

I just found out that Brian Wood is writing for Conan now, so I guess I need to start reading that. I was all about DMZ when that was running. I really like Brian Wood's writing. I think he could do some great things with Conan.

There is never too much Iron Maiden! Iron Maiden is fantastic!

xD I didn't mean to hate on Iron Maiden. I love Iron Maiden. I'm more referring to the fourteen year old mallrats who sit around talking about Number of the Beast all day.

Hm, favorites. I don't really do favorites. I spread my love equally over multiple characters. I like the bigger ones for most reasons people state: Iron Man, Spider-Man, Deadpool, and so on.

But I also like the lesser known sorts. Rocket Raccoon. A procyonid carrying unfeasibly large weapons into battle? What's not to love. Then there's Darkhawk who never had that great of a run, but I still loved him regardless. The more recent events in Annihilation rekindled it, though I'm tempted to go kill the writer of Avengers Arena if he intends to kill off Chris.

I'm way more fond of manga and anime, of course. No characters are really jumping up for attention at the moment though.

Whoa, this looks really cool! Color me intersted enough to check it out.

It started as a webcomic before being picked up by it's publisher. And thankfully the publisher allowed Ursula to it's entire archives up on the web. You can read it in it's entirety here: http://diggercomic.com/

((It went through a stretch where you could preview the beginning couple chapters, and then only see the current and previous 5 updates sort of thing.))

Deadpool.

I don't even thing I need to explain that one. Forever sad that that Wolverine movie kinda ruined him...

My favorite comic book series is the Xmen, generally the Ultimates storyline or the "main" Story. I know it's really popular, but I actually didn't much care for the Dark Phoenix storyline, as Jean Grey is one of my least favorite characters.

My favorite xmen is Nightcrawler <3.

EDIT: I haven't played the new Deadpool game because I'm really scared it's gonna suck, so if anyone has played it let me know!

I heard the Deadpool game itself is kind of stale as far as gameplay goes, but from the reviews I read they seemed to have got Deadpools personality down really well. Angry Joe (youtube) did a nice review of the game. I almost thought about getting it because I kind of like his insanity, but honestly don't know much about him besides the basics.

Deadpool, though he's an Antihero and not an actual hero, i don't think i really need to explain why i love Deadpool. he is one of those characters that you either love or you hate so explaining why i love Deadpool would not benefit anyone.

My favorite comic book line so far is Deadpool kills, the killology has been amazing starting with the 4 part "Deadpool kills the marvel universe" then moving on to "Deadpool: Killustrated" and now onto "Deadpool Kills Deadpool"