Experienced RPer, Newbie MMO Player

Hey all! Longtime Final Fantasy fan here, but I'm fairly new to MMOs. The only other one I have played for more than a few hours was Lord of the Rings Online for a couple years, however that was mostly for the RP community. I'm a longtime RPer, with most of my experience being in one on one original roleplay via instant messenger (Windows Messenger, Skype, then Discord), and then a little on LotRO, with some irl friends. I'm having a fantastic time playing FFXIV (though I'm finding mmo gameplay a little overwhelming at times, haha), and one of the biggest reasons I decided to start playing was hearing about the thriving RP community. 

I'm still learning the game lore but the character I'm working on developing is a male Hyur Doctor (Elgan Yarwood, on Mateus) with past connections to the Garlean Empire. I really enjoy darker storylines and playing... less morally upright characters, and was hoping to find other RPers who might be into that. I tend to land somewhere between a light and heavy roleplayer, where I enjoy delving into deep storylines and intense character development, but I'm more than happy to throw lore by the wayside in service of an interesting plotline or character arc. 

IRL I'm working on finishing my first novel, and I'm also an artist (so if we get along and RP together, I might end up drawing your character if you're into that, lol unsubtle bribery.) 

Anyways I'm not going to lie I'm pretty nervous and intimidated by the vastness of the community and I'm really worried about making a complete fool of myself so I thought I'd start in the intros section, rather than dive right into posting a character profile or searching for free companies etc. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and I hope to make some meaningful connections and to tell some cool stories together.  

Edit: if anyone wants to hit me up via discord it's 'Uncle Frank#1456' (username a silly inside joke with some irl friends, haha, not actually a creep I swear)

Edited by adoxography

Hey there, Adox!

Welcome to the FFXIV RP community!  If you need a little lore help, I highly suggest Sounsyy Mirke's Lore Repository for further reading!  She has fairly comprehensive lore segments on just about any topic in the game!  

There's plenty of places and room for morally ambiguous characters here in FFXIV, even a few Free Companies that cater to them if that's something you're interested in farther on down the line.  I certainly hope you find a happy little niche for yourself here.  :D  If you ever need a buddy or someone to just chill with, you're welcome to contact me here on the RPC, via Discord (casualcatte#1384) or in-game on Gospel Lightfaith @ Balmung.   

Thank you so much to you both for the warm welcome! I really appreciate that lore resource link, I've been looking for something just like that. I'm going to edit my post to add my discord as well and I'll absolutely take you up on that offer 😃

Hi there and welcome! 

I think with how varied the communities are and thanks to the world transfer system I think you will be able to find just about anything you want! I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need help or want to chat I would be then happy to help! You can hit me up on Kinara Banhi@balmung or Bauldric the Crook Neck Knight#1337 on disco. I don't have any great links or anything like that to share but I have a lot of random facts stashed away in the trash bin of a mind I have and I know where to find a thing or two. 

13 hours ago, Bauldric said:

Hi there and welcome! 

I think with how varied the communities are and thanks to the world transfer system I think you will be able to find just about anything you want! I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need help or want to chat I would be then happy to help! You can hit me up on Kinara Banhi@balmung or Bauldric the Crook Neck Knight#1337 on disco. I don't have any great links or anything like that to share but I have a lot of random facts stashed away in the trash bin of a mind I have and I know where to find a thing or two. 

I honestly really appreciate it and I'm probably going to be hitting you up pretty soon for tips n tricks because every RP community I've been in has different etiquette and it's always good to find that out ahead of time XD!