Bosses and Rp

Nox

I just thought of a pretty (at least in my mind) good question.  Ok, so with bosses... Do you only RP fight a boss once, then it's like that boss is dead to your character? Or what? How are raid bosses, and raid type scenarios handled? I apologize for the mildly silly question, I just had to know.

I just thought of a pretty (at least in my mind) good question.  Ok, so with bosses... Do you only RP fight a boss once, then it's like that boss is dead to your character? Or what? How are raid bosses, and raid type scenarios handled? I apologize for the mildly silly question, I just had to know.

I trapped them in my pokeball to use them for later. Just kidding. Way I look at it, first time through will probably not be done via roleplaying because its a matter of learning the fights, understanding the mechanics and what needs to be done. After that, you can easily in my opinion be able to roleplay fighting a giant creature. However, I wouldn't use any 'unique' name or anything that's been given. I'd just consider defeating a twisted version of a creature if that makes sense. The moment you start saying I killed Bahamut, I think then you have a -massive- clash with everyone else whose done it. Too much of a headache imo but bosses can be great RP tools.

Ah... I just posted a linkshell interest guage pretty much dealing with exactly this.  x]

I think typically most people don't consider it canon to kill a dungeon boss over and over... but well, I think it could be interesting to play with the notion.

I'll leave now and let those with more experience give better answers.  x]

This, and another post I read recently have been a real eye-opener to me O.o

I never knew people treated PvE content as canon. Unfortunately, I can't begin to answer the question as I've never considered it before, but I'm interested to see what people will say!

Historically, I've either rewritten and "genericized" the encounter (we fought a powerful creature in the Deepcroft, not the named boss, or we weren't in the Deepcroft, but a similar nameless dungeon) or come up with some lore-supported reason why the fight can be done repeatedly (which works great for Primals, actually, for reasons I'll not spoil here :) ). At least in XIV, we have the Raise mechanic that can be used as a convenient excuse -- we thought we killed the bad guy, but in reality, he escaped/was dragged off/just looked dead and got patched up.

I have to do these because I do dungeon runs IC unless the rest of the group is OOC. So, I have to have some explanation why I'm there, why the last run didn't eliminate the threat, and why the state of the world hasn't changed.

I'm with Ryaadi that you definitely can't ever go around saying IC that you permanently eliminated a particular boss, no matter what the quest might say. Beyond this spoiling the plot and clashing badly with game mechanics, it also makes an assertion that other RPers can't get around -- and that severely snarls RP.

Well, I'm not so sure about FFXIV, but I know in WoW, my old RPPvE guild considered raiding as IC-canon, but thought of it more like being another group who joined with the specific faction that killed the end boss in the lore (IE; the Ashen Verdict who felled the Lich King), as well as possible other unnamed guilds/groups/individuals.

Maybe a similar sort of deal could work with raiding content in ARR?

In general I never take credit for slaying a named foe, as others have already mentioned. Certainly, I might have run into a giant Bomb-like creature, which split into several Grenades once I thought that I had finished it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was -THE- Mama Bomb.

In a similar vein, I never regard the big bads as canonically dead, until new lore is added to reflect this.. For example in Guild Wars 2, Zhaitan the big bad dragon of Undeath was canonically dead/defeated by the release of the first Southsun Cove content patch (a fact that many have decided to overlook, but that is besides the point), from that point forward I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at someone who claimed to be a part of the Pact's Airship forces who took part in that battle and came out of it alive.. If someone claimed to be a part of the group that went toe-to-toe with him.. I might be a bit more pensive.

Well Primals ICly can be killed repeatedly. There is a mechanic in the lore that allows for this, however there are other mechanics that can prevent you from ICly claiming to be a skilled Primal killer. The most prominent: without the Echo, your characters would end up Tempered by the Primal. There's more in the lore about that, too. So ICly, Tyonis doesn't have the Echo, which means he can't kill a Primal.

I've heard mention on the Lore forums that there is even an NPC LS called the Company of Heroes that specializes in slaying Primals.

you can easily in my opinion be able to roleplay fighting a giant creature. However, I wouldn't use any 'unique' name or anything that's been given. I'd just consider defeating a twisted version of a creature if that makes sense. The moment you start saying I killed Bahamut, I think then you have a -massive- clash with everyone else whose done it. Too much of a headache imo but bosses can be great RP tools.

I couldn't agree more. 

Historically, I've either rewritten and "genericized" the encounter (we fought a powerful creature in the Deepcroft, not the named boss, or we weren't in the Deepcroft, but a similar nameless dungeon) or come up with some lore-supported reason why the fight can be done repeatedly (which works great for Primals, actually, for reasons I'll not spoil here :) ). At least in XIV, we have the Raise mechanic that can be used as a convenient excuse -- we thought we killed the bad guy, but in reality, he escaped/was dragged off/just looked dead and got patched up.

I have to do these because I do dungeon runs IC unless the rest of the group is OOC. So, I have to have some explanation why I'm there, why the last run didn't eliminate the threat, and why the state of the world hasn't changed.

I'm with Ryaadi that you definitely can't ever go around saying IC that you permanently eliminated a particular boss, no matter what the quest might say. Beyond this spoiling the plot and clashing badly with game mechanics, it also makes an assertion that other RPers can't get around -- and that severely snarls RP.

I agree with this also :)

you can easily in my opinion be able to roleplay fighting a giant creature. However, I wouldn't use any 'unique' name or anything that's been given. I'd just consider defeating a twisted version of a creature if that makes sense. The moment you start saying I killed Bahamut, I think then you have a -massive- clash with everyone else whose done it. Too much of a headache imo but bosses can be great RP tools.

I couldn't agree more. 

I agree with this also :)

I agree with all this, however i also wish to add that if the rp community on that server together decides for example to down a boss as a community i don't see a problem downing a Unique enemy, However i personally won't recognise a select few being all like "I helped to kill Enemy X". I would react like they're drunk or delusional or something.

Edit: Also forgot to say, if the community agrees todo something as downing a unique enemy, the community should give everyone a chanse to be part of it. Making it a larger scale event rather than just posting it.

-Xeon

Hm. I've seen guilds do that in the past, but they need to restrict that so that it's only part of their guild's lore and doesn't "leak" into the outside world.

I don't think RP communities should be in the business of determining the lore of the game, especially since a substantial number of RPers don't or won't go to a site. If the RPC decided it was going to hold a public raid to kill Ifrit once and for all in RP, for instance, I'd be out of here faster than a Lalafell chasing a gold coin.

In FFXI, we were pretty much the only roleplaying group on Siren that I ever heard of, so we did a lot of roleplaying the storyline and such doing these boss battles. Since it was really just us there, we were able to sort of... monopolize the storyline content.

Given though the sheer size of the RPC, something like that can't really quite transfer over as well. I think the way that my shell will approach it in respect of the greater RPC will be that -within our linkshell,- we'll have a slightly different continuity compared to others, and either roleplay variants of ourselves who haven't done the missions and/or simply find IC reasons never to talk about said boss fights/missions/other content.

The point really is to just be respectful to your fellow roleplayers, is what it gets down to, I think. You don't want to have your character running around spouting off how awesome he or she is because they and their band of heroes killed some in-game boss, because that's really not something anyone has the right to claim. Within smaller groups though, something like that might be possible among like-minded individuals. Sometimes its fun to RP hero. But when interfacing back with the rest of the community as a whole, you'd need to be respectful.

It also just sets up trouble if you take it outside of your small group. Guy A says "I'm the hero Eorzea needs! I defeated the Imperials and have saved Eorzea!" and Guy B responds "Uh huh. I did that two months ago." Dur...

So yeah, best to keep that stuff to yourself or your friends if you take that route haha. :)

Hm. I've seen guilds do that in the past, but they need to restrict that so that it's only part of their guild's lore and doesn't "leak" into the outside world.

Pretty much exactly what I was getting at. ^^

IYou don't want to have your character running around spouting off how awesome he or she is because they and their band of heroes killed some in-game boss, because that's really not something anyone has the right to claim.

Unless you're roleplaying an obnoxious, egotistical attention whore! Which is totally okay. ^^

Well, I'm not so sure about FFXIV, but I know in WoW, my old RPPvE guild considered raiding as IC-canon, but thought of it more like being another group who joined with the specific faction that killed the end boss in the lore (IE; the Ashen Verdict who felled the Lich King), as well as possible other unnamed guilds/groups/individuals.

Maybe a similar sort of deal could work with raiding content in ARR?

My friends and I did this too. We were never the ones who killed the boss but we were part of the battle. The Lich King is a good example of this as it would make sense to imagine the armies clashing in and outside of the dungeon.