Attention all new rpers!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Kyatai, I think this brings a pretty interresting point and would help illustrate the difference between IC and OOC and canon and non-canon and that kinda stuff.

Things that people new to RP would want to learn!

My problem is I know the "mechanics", if you will, of RP, but I'm rusty and always had trouble with RPing in crowds etc. Even in pen&paper I prefer groups of 3-4 players tops while I have friends who have no issue DMing for twice as much. o_O

yeah, Asyria... lol

I tend to like the more intimate group RP myself- versus the crazy, rolling chat spam that you get in large groups. I always feel like I'm missing stuff and... well, get behind because I -must- read everything! O.o haha

Totally throws my rhythm off...

Of course, it is also preference because I rather like the more in depth and focused RP you just can't -DO- in a busy RP hub (because of things mentioned above). Now... if we're talking a smallish group of 10-15 folks in an isolated setting, that might be doable. As long as people aren't talking over eachother too much... haha

But yeah... this is a great idea and a great way to get new/rusty RPers back into the groove (and help FF newbies feel a -bit- more comfortable in Eorzea...)

I may not be able to use my intended character for when the game launches (since Arcanist isn't available), but I am definitely in and will figure out some sort of alt to use. I may have done a little RP in the past, but I have never attempted it in something as big as an MMO, so I would love a chance to see how this works.

Also on a side note, if being able to keep track of what is going on during the event is a big concern we could create a LS for each group/event that is planned. We could even use this idea to pair down the size of the event groups if you think too many people are showing up and perhaps some of the benefits of the event will be lost by overwhelming people who are trying to adjust to how everything works.

I am so happy to see so much enthusiasm over this!

Since it is unknown when Open Beta is (unless I missed an announcement) I will try to get a Skype chatroom going for July, in which we'll try to get the ball rolling. Kupo!

Upcoming Beta Test Schedule:- From Jul. 5th 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / Jul. 5th 9:00 (GMT)

There you go :thumbsup:!

(Edited by Alothia to change the font color so that we can read it. ^^)

I have the same reaction as Kyatai.  I think this is a wonderful idea.

If there is one thing I've learned over the years, it is that new players are better roleplayers then they give themselves credit for.  I cannot count the number of times people have apologized to me for being new RPers, and my first steps involve dragging themselves out of that mindset.

Something like this helps uncomfortable new players over that first (and biggest) hurdle, by easing them in and showing them the community is there for them.

Looking forward to seeing this, and the number of RPers this will cultivate that we might not normally get.

:thumbsup:

This weekend is still phase 3 beta right?

I'm unsure if I'll be able to run one this weekend. However, anyone is free to add me in game and if I'm on we can try to schedule an impromptu meetup :P

If this weekend is phase 3 i'll be on gilgamesh

I'm all in for rp with other newcomers! If I manage to catch some computer time at weekend.. I feel like it's gonna be easier with others who are still new to whole thing.

//edited cause the date was actually announced before ^^;

With the surprise 5 day beta coming up, I would very much like to run one of these events this Sat. July 13th @ 2:30 pm EST (so that EU can attend too) on Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh is my beta 3 home only, I'll be in Balmung once OB hits.

I will make an official event post in the appropriate section tomorrow, but the details will be this;

IC (In character)

**Claire Fianti, an aspiring playwright, has handed out flyers all across Gridania asking those with acting aspirations to assemble, and try out for her acting troupe; The Healing Winds. She requires characters of all types and walks of life, so do not be shy! Come one, come all!

OOC (Out of Character)

Essentially, Claire will be running 'acting tryouts' enabling those who wish to attend ICly to do so, and those who are more comfortable attending OOCly to do so as well. You can treat this as canon (part of your character's lore) or as non-canon as you see fit. All who wish to participate will be given time to do so; you will be given scenes and directions by Claire, and therefore will be able to practice RP to your hearts content.

The only two requests I have is that those who attend OOCly please address their questions in brackets ((like this)) or send me a tell.

My second request is that any with an interest in assisting the running of this event, please message me on this site. Thank you and good day! Hope to see many there! And again, an official event post will be made in the next couple of days. Kupo! :moogle:

Well I wish I had found this sooner. Here I've been fretting over what I'm suppose to do with a free company interview that is in character once the OB hits. Maybe this upcoming beta I can see about getting into one of these sessions. Seems like a good place to start (really glad I'm not the only one who is unsure about what to do or how to go about things). 

>w<