Lore Question

Nox

I haven't found a -lot- of lore on anything, cities, races, or otherwise. Here's to hoping SE will dump lore on us before launch!

This.

Rakka'li and I have been searching for more specific lore on Keepers of the Moon, to further expand our backstories. I have a lot of ideas that I've got on the backburner to flesh out some history for their tribe, but without knowing basic customs and cultural ideals, it's risky to take any of those and run with them, for fear of lorebreaking. ._.

I haven't found a -lot- of lore on anything, cities, races, or otherwise. Here's to hoping SE will dump lore on us before launch!

This.

Rakka'li and I have been searching for more specific lore on Keepers of the Moon, to further expand our backstories. I have a lot of ideas that I've got on the backburner to flesh out some history for their tribe, but without knowing basic customs and cultural ideals, it's risky to take any of those and run with them, for fear of lorebreaking. ._.

Pretty much. My character will be a Dragoon at some point in time and I'm trying to write it so he actually has a reason to pursue being one. I just want to know more about everything so I'm not lorebreaking or writing useless stuff.

The lack of Keeper lore is infuriating. :frustrated:

As for my primary alt, I was gonna roll up a Sea Wolf female. I got to thinking about Ishgard and dragoons, and I need more info on Ishgard to see if that would be plausible.

Also, I don't know -jack- about Sharlayan.

There is extremely little lore surrounding Ishgard and Dragoons. I would highly recommend running a YouTube search on the cutscenes from the Dragoon quests in 1.0 which may help shed a little light on it.

I RP a character that was born in Ishgard, but have had to distance myself a bit from that because there is so little information. Her earlier upbringing and her father's reasons for leaving might be made more clear once that information becomes available. I just don't want to make assumptions about it.

I know Uther RP's a character with a strong background in Ishgard as well. He might have some additional input.

Also' date=' I don't know -jack- about Sharlayan.[/quote']

I don't think anybody does, which is a little bit frustrating given that

almost all of the major storyline NPCs are from there. Maybe that'll get further explored in the ARR main storyline, or in the first expansion.

*shakes fist about the tiny blurb or two there is about the Hellsguard homeland*

Trying to write up Torn's origins has not been too fun either. At this point I'm going ahead and making up a few small, reasonable details to help give the beginning of her backstory at least a little bit of life-- Small enough that it would be easy to quietly retcon things if they turn out to be way off.

It's a little off-topic, but one thing I'd suggest to those who are limiting their backstories at the risk of a collision with future canon is that you always have the option of saying, "this is how my family/tribe/etc. did it" and not asserting that the statements you're making are universal. That way, if someone disagrees with you or if the lore collides with you at a later date, you always have a fallback. That's a bit less viable when referring to entire other countries, of course, but if you were from a village in the territory of Ishgard, you can always make your history unique to your character. Even NPCs can get this treatment; if you say the dragoon that inspired you thought X, and subsequent lore says dragoons explicitly don't believe X, you can just say that it was just that one guy, and maybe he wandered into your village because he wasn't well-liked due to his beliefs, and so on.

Regarding Sharlayan:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed the wonderful NPC tattoos, normally around the neck area. Are there indicative of the Scions, or does it have to do with Sharlayan culture?

It's not actually anything to do with the Scions (as that was something new to ARR I believe), the symbols of certain characters necks, foreheads, and cheeks was to mark them as a member of the Circle of Knowing).

Regarding Sharlayan:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed the wonderful NPC tattoos, normally around the neck area. Are there indicative of the Scions, or does it have to do with Sharlayan culture?

It's not actually anything to do with the Scions (as that was something new to ARR I believe), the symbols of certain characters necks, foreheads, and cheeks was to mark them as a member of the Circle of Knowing).

So is it safe to assume all the members of the Circle of Knowing are from Sharlayan? And is it purely speculation that they are manifestations of the Twelve, or is that a fact?

Regarding Sharlayan:

So is it safe to assume all the members of the Circle of Knowing are from Sharlayan? And is it purely speculation that they are manifestations of the Twelve, or is that a fact?

That's correct, all members of the Circle of Knowing were originally from Sharlayan, though it's only speculation that they are manifestations of the Twelve. There are a lot of things to imply this, but only for a few of the characters. Some people say Louisoix was the manifestation of Althyk which was how he managed to telelport the players (and possibly himself) to the future, Althyk being the God of Time and all.

The problem with this theory however is that the Circle of Knowing only consists of between five and eight members as far as we know, numbers varying depending on whether or not Louisoix is dead or just elsewhere, and whether Alphinaud and Alisaie were ever a part of it. The latter two have been see with the same mask devices that the other members of the Circle have, but they lack the trademark tattoos, or the eyeball symbol on their shoulder that everyone by Louisoix had. The other issue with the theory is that Louisoix is the only character who has anything about him related to the Twelve as far as appearance goes, and it's not the symbol of Althyk we see on his staff but Thaliak. Could this be a hint that he is the manifestation of Thaliak, the God of Knowledge? Maybe, it could also just be because Thaliak is the Patron Deity of Sharlayan.

Anyways, that's just my two gil. I don't think there's enough connection between each of the members of the Circle of Knowing, not to mention there are not enough people for them to be adequately represented and it doesn't seem like SE will be introducing anymore anytime soon