Open Beta Keys sent out (?)

So I just got an email from Square Enix, it contained a beta key for phase four. But uh, wasn't P4 open beta? Why are they sending out keys? Did you guys get them too?

Questions, questions.

Even if it's an OBT you'll still need a key (though I imagine if you've been in the previous phases you're already registered for phase 4) because you still need to register the service account (which requires a key). All it being an OBT means is that anyone can go in and sign up to get a key instead of waiting to be picked.

Yes, I did receive a Windows key earlier today (I accidentally submitted my first application on the European site, and that one got picked for phase 3, so I reapplied as directed.) I imagine the purpose of sending out the keys early is to allow people to input them early, which may reduce the load on the registration servers. (The Windows keys in the email are only valid until the 30th, and after that, anyone who has not registered must reapply when beta starts.)

Only the people that indicated interest in the Windows version (or both versions) are getting keys. Those that marked both platforms get a Windows key with a notification that the PS3 key will be mailed at a later date. Those who only asked for PS3 keys, as opposed to Windows, just get an email telling them that a key will be coming soon.

There's also the element of server load. P4 is a stress test, ultimately, and SE is going to want to ramp up server load to find out where the break points are -- and all P3 and earlier testers are in P4, too. So, yes, if there's space, you'll get a key, but you might not get it right away depending on how many players they expect to have on the servers versus how many they need to ensure to smooth launch.

If anyone has a spare key, 2 of my friends weren't able to get to the site in time to register for open beta and really want to try it out.  I know that registration may open back up once phase 4 is underway, but they still may miss out.  Figured I'd ask here before I went searching elsewhere.  Thanks for you consideration!

If anyone has a spare key, 2 of my friends weren't able to get to the site in time to register for open beta and really want to try it out.  I know that registration may open back up once phase 4 is underway, but they still may miss out.  Figured I'd ask here before I went searching elsewhere.  Thanks for you consideration!

I registered multiple times with diff emails so if I get another code I'll let ya know.  :)

question do we have to sign up for open beta? 

Two: If we all ready in the phase 3 beta are we all ready signed up for the open beta?

3: If we have sign up for the open beta where do we do this?

If you are not already registered for beta (meaning you didn't already sign up for it) then you will need to do so, if you don't get a key before they announce the start date I would advice trying to register again as they may create a new form specifically for Phase 4 signups. If you are already enrolled in beta from Phase 3 or earlier then you are already enrolled in beta for Phase 4 and do not need to do anything. When they announce Phase 4 there will be a new launcher you'll need to download (presumably the commercial one they'll use for launch day), other than that it's beta as normal.

Dunno yet. No timeframe has been announced. We do know that the new character generator (which is the new benchmark, basically) comes out August 1, the next letter from the producer live is on August 8, and launch is August 27. IIRC, a dev said there's only a few days between P4 and early access. We can also be fairly sure that P4's primary purpose, besides testing ACN and housing, is pre-launch stress testing. So my wild speculation on timing is:

August 15-19: Phase 4 beta

August 23-26: Early access

August 27: Launch

However, this is all complete and total speculation on my part; there's been no dev confirmation on the dates for anything, much less the duration of early access. Some sites were promoting early access as one week, but they've backed off that, presumably because SE told them not to say that.

Dunno yet. No timeframe has been announced. We do know that the new character generator (which is the new benchmark, basically) comes out August 1, the next letter from the producer live is on August 8, and launch is August 27. IIRC, a dev said there's only a few days between P4 and early access. We can also be fairly sure that P4's primary purpose, besides testing ACN and housing, is pre-launch stress testing. So my wild speculation on timing is:

August 15-19: Phase 4 beta

However, this is all complete and total speculation on my part; there's been no dev confirmation on the dates for anything, much less the duration of early access. Some sites were promoting early access as one week, but they've backed off that, presumably because SE told them not to say that.

That speculation seems pretty spot on. Although I would think they would either do the phase 4 a tad earlier, or a tad later. Either to keep it grouped nicely, or to give plenty of time between the beta and the release.

Let's find out what square decides!

Usually we see the next phase start the weekend after a live letter, so I'll have to agree with Freelance's time table for the most part, however the did say Beta 4 was going to be a week long test and that there'd be a few days for debugging between P4 and Early Access. So with that in mind my speculation is more along the lines of:

August 12-19: Phase 4 beta

August 20-22: Debug

As stated before though, it's all just speculation until we get an official announcement which probably won't be until the 8th.

Actually, early access will be seven days before launch. So that means early access will be on august 20th. I'm thinking that P4 will be on the 9th or 10th and they'll have a couple days between P4 and early access to debug and such.

But (as stated before so many times I'm sure xD), won't know officially until the letter on the 8th.

Actually, early access will be seven days before launch. So that means early access will be on august 20th. I'm thinking that P4 will be on the 9th or 10th and they'll have a couple days between P4 and early access to debug and such.

But (as stated before so many times I'm sure xD), won't know officially until the letter on the 8th.

I don't recall them ever stating how long Early Access was going to be, just that Phase 4 was only going to be for a single week. The fact that P4 is an entirely new client and not just an update to the old client makes it seem unlikely they'll start P4 a day after it's announced (assuming that they'll hold off announcing it until the Live Letter).

I don't recall them ever stating how long Early Access was going to be, just that Phase 4 was only going to be for a single week. The fact that P4 is an entirely new client and not just an update to the old client makes it seem unlikely they'll start P4 a day after it's announced (assuming that they'll hold off announcing it until the Live Letter).

When I had received the email for registering for my early access code (unfortunately I deleted this email :frustrated: ), and it stated that the early access will be a whole seven days before launch and will be a seamless transition.

***Though you're probably right about my guessed time of the start of P4, it'll probably be sometime after the 11th.

When I had received the email for registering for my early access code (unfortunately I deleted this email :frustrated: ), and it stated that the early access will be a whole seven days before launch and will be a seamless transition.

***Though you're probably right about my guessed time of the start of P4, it'll probably be sometime after the 11th.

Wait, we can register our pre-order codes now?

I had registered my e-mail at the code-redemption website, not the actual code I had received. But I did get an email from Enix thanking me for pre-ordering and it had that information with it. Also stating to keep my code until they email me again, closer to early access with all the steps needed to set the game up, blah blah blah.

****Edit: HOWEVER, I do remember it not saying specifically august 20th, just that it will be seven days before actual launch and that it was supposed to be a seamless transition into the launch. I just did the math myself and assume the 20th if all went well with phase 4.

I had registered my e-mail at the code-redemption website, not the actual code I had received. But I did get an email from Enix thanking me for pre-ordering and it had that information with it. Also stating to keep my code until they email me again, closer to early access with all the steps needed to set the game up, blah blah blah.

****Edit: HOWEVER, I do remember it not saying specifically august 20th, just that it will be seven days before actual launch and that it was supposed to be a seamless transition into the launch. I just did the math myself and assume the 20th if all went well with phase 4.

Ah okay, I misunderstood what you meant by that. Though there is a thread with a dev post on the beta forums that mentions specifically they can't confirm or deny whether the 20th is the actual start date for early access. I would think that if they were promising a 7 day early access this would be a given if they game is set to launch on the 27th, but the fact they they are still kind of protesting it means it might not be a 7 day early access.

I got the key registered to my square enix account, when i went into my services/account page to verify i noticed that i have FFXIV 1 and 2 for services, 2 being the one that the open beta key was for. I just assumed it would fall in with the original instead of making a seperate listing, *shrug* as long as everythings tied to my singular SE account i'm good though.