Uprising in Ala Mhigo

When was that time wise?

As I understand it, there were several attempts- all failed. What happened? Were they all defectors? Spies? Folks just seeking to 'free' the city from Garlemald?

Was it ever explained how they 'broke' their conditioning?

Were there other repercussions in Ala Mhigo as a result?

Ala Mhigo has a Resistance going on, which sounds like an underground organization against garlean rule. It's likely all rebellion attempts were made by this group.

I'm not sure what 'conditioning' you are speaking of. The brainwashing is only used on Ala Mhigan children and recruits to bolster the numbers of the imperial army. Adults older than 30 years old shouldn't be under any type of conditioning. It doesn't make sense to brainwash the whole population because of all the resources needed to do so.

Yup, as Ildus said there is a Resistance group that actively fights back against the Garlean rule. The only time we ever get to see them in action (and help them) was during a quest in 1.0 where they introduced Gaius, and during that attempt they failed miserably.

Here's a video from "The Story So Far..." videos that were made to help fill in the blanks for a lot of players that didn't get to play in 1.X, in it you get to see the setup for your help in the Al Mhigo resistance and their total obliteration:

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/DL97uDBTHnM

Currently in 2.0 there is only one point where I see them mentioned, when one of the Garlean super soldiers (the red one) uncovers two spies in their ranks and has them killed.

The video above is still one of my favorite scenes from 1.X

I didn't play beyond beta of 1.0, so I certainly don't have all of the information.  I've seen some other threads on here discussing the matter, and I'll link in a later post if I can locate them.  From what I've gathered there was certainly some effort made during the events of 1.0 by the resistance, but clearly any and all efforts to reclaim Ala Mhigo have been for naught.  As a matter of fact (and potential spoilers) I believe there was at least one quest regarding resistance efforts, and I'll try to find more information.

See above :), beat me to it

meh.

i think  i was unclear, but  i think some aspects of my question were still answered. lol

the conditioning i was referring to was that done on them as childeren, but upon reconsideration, i have to remind myself that ala mhigo has only been a controlled city for around 20 years. 

anyway. i was just wondering if there have been any set major uprisings in the past, or if its just been kinda brewing & going on for years in fits & starts..

thanks for the reponses & input. :D

((if you saw this before the edit- my ipad was going nuts and wouldn't let me fix my keyboard stuttering... *blush*))

meh.

i think  i was unclear, but  i think some aspects of my question were still answered. lol

the conditioning i was referring to was that done on them as childeren, but upon reconsideration, i have to remind myself that ala mhigo has only been a controlled city for around 20 years. 

anyway. i was just wondering if there have been any set major uprisings in the past, or if its just been kinda brewing & going on for years in fits & starts..

thanks for the reponses & input. :D

((if you saw this before the edit- my ipad was going nuts and wouldn't let me fix my keyboard stuttering... *blush*))

There is a situation that happens in one of the quests in ARR that might touch upon all of this. I saw it last phase but won't spoil it.

To answer your question a bit more thoroughly, there Resistance has never made any notable attempts at freeing Ala Mhigo, at this point the Ala Mhigo Resistance are too weak to do anymore than skirmishes. This is likely intended as a plot device to allow content later on for the player characters to come in and save the day by defeating the Empire and freeing city (I expect this to be in an expansion). If we won back Ala Mhigo that would be a HUGE blow to the empire as that is their biggest foothold in Eorzea and their connection between Eorzea and Garlemald.

While we can be certain there have probably been at least a free uprisings, the only one we are ever made aware of specifically is the one we take part in during 1.0.

As was answered, there have been no successful or hugely notable attempts at freeing Ala Mhigo from the Empire. However there was some quest text in 1.0 that said they have tried many many times. All unsuccessfully. 

This is probably due to the civil unrest created by Gaius van Baelsar before taking the city. Roughly five years before the Garleans took the city, Ala Mhigo had a King named Theodric, who was more than a little crazy. Now it is not explicitly stated in the game why, but... Theodric starts to become paranoid that the Fists of Rhalgr (a sect of Monks in Ala Mhigo) are planning to overthrow him. Some vague McCarthyism type stuff happens where Theodric imprisons monks and tortures them until they "confess" to plotting against the King. So he leads the entire Ala Mhigan army of Lancers against the Monks, surrounds the Temple, burns the Temple and the villages surrounding it, and slaughters all the Monks within. (Very Star Wars Episode III) Monks are now branded as traitors to the King and anyone worshiping Rhalgr is believed to be in league with the Monks. The witch hunt begins and civil unrest successfully rips through the city.

Enter Gaius van Baelsar. Though unconfirmed, it's hinted that Gaius set this whole plot in motion. In a little less than five years, he allowed Ala Mhigo to tear itself apart, lose faith in its monarch, and effectively eliminate half of the city's military might. In 1557 Garlemald marches straight in, promising Ala Mhigo peace and safety from their former King. The city falls nearly overnight and any remaining resistances are wiped out by Garlean's Magitek. 

Now the Resistance is made up of those ragtag Ala Mhigan refugees who escaped to cities like Ul'dah and Gridania. So pretty easy to see why their attempts to take back the city were so futile.